Bike Trainer vs Spinner Bike?

BikerM

Apr 16, 2011
So preparing for winter season, what do you guys use to keep you riding going during off season?

Bike Trainer is more affortable compare to a Spinner bike but some claim it harm your carbon frame bike and headset. If you twist your bike alot, this can't be any good to the frame either...

Spinner bike seems to be a good solution, but they are pricey... Looking at Cycleops 200 or 300 pro, they are not cheap.

What's your take?

I use bib tights, gloves, long sleeve jerseys, and a jacket. If I had to do otherwise, I'd buy a trainer and put my bike on it.

Winter biking can be fun, but you end up with a ton of laundry per ride.

I probably would not use my A bike on a resistance trainer, it puts empty joyless miles on it. I would rather wear out good and expensive components on the road. I have another older bike with the same size frame that I use and i put a cheap wheel on the rear. The stresses could be different, I notice a lot of twisting in the frame at higher resistances.

I have been considering getting a set of rollers, those look like they would be much easier on your bike.

Spin classes are an option as well, though that suggestion seems to spur a bit of controversy on this site. I like them because you are more motivated when exercising in the company of others and the bikes are very sturdy allowing you to spin up to crazy speeds or hammer at a high resistance that I would not be comfortable doing on my rather cheap trainer.

Trainers are perfectly safe for bikes, and its reported that stress on the frame is less on a trainer than on the road.

I am looking at Cycleops 300 Pro spinner bike... is very price, but it include a power meter... Is power meter training going to make a huge different?

Power measurement is one of the best tools for gauging improvements in strength and conditioning. Visit the Power Training sub-forum and read through some of the posts there to find what using measurements can do for you and how you might use that power tool to structure training.

That trainer is pretty damned expensive for something that does nothing but stay indoors. It costs what a bike costs, but it doesn't go anywhere. For the cost of that trainer, you could buy a power measurement device for your bike, hire a coach to help you structure training, and buy a regular ol' indoor trainer on which you could mount your bike......which is what almost every cyclist who does indoor training in the off season does.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Power measurement is one of the best tools for gauging improvements in strength and conditioning. Visit the Power Training sub-forum and read through some of the posts there to find what using measurements can do for you and how you might use that power tool to structure training.

That trainer is pretty damned expensive for something that does nothing but stay indoors. It costs what a bike costs, but it doesn't go anywhere. For the cost of that trainer, you could buy a power measurement device for your bike, hire a coach to help you structure training, and buy a regular ol' indoor trainer on which you could mount your bike......which is what almost every cyclist who does indoor training in the off season does.

Excellent post

I have been using a KK fluid trainer for several years and have seen no damage to my bike, plus have the benefits as described by alienator of being able to take the powertap equipped bike off the trainer and put it on the e-Motion rollers as another indoor alternative.

I recently purchased another PT wheel to upgrade to ANT+ as shown here. Had the wheel custom built with the PT hub at a decent price, but I also sold my old wired version wheel of the same build materials for just over $400. That wheel that I sold was extremely solid and just as good. There are good deals that can be gained by the sharp shopper if cost is an issue. Pair up a PT wheel and a fluid trainer and you will keep some cash in the bank and be just as happy that you can pull your bike off the trainer and do some training with a power meter out on the road.

For the other issue listen to alienator to look at the power forum or the popular it's killing me thread for some discussion and testimony of how a number of us have really improved, but buying all the hardware takes a certain commitment. I have to admit my first year with the power meter it was nothing more than a very overpriced bike computer, but then I really had to make a hard commitment to the training principles and that is when using a power meter helped me fine tune training and progess in my goals.

Originally Posted by BikerM .

I am looking at Cycleops 300 Pro spinner bike... is very price, but it include a power meter... Is power meter training going to make a huge different?

I have the 300PT - it was my preference for a spin bike at the time I purchased it a couple of years ago. There are probably better options today, both for value and functionality. Really depends on what constitutes value for you. In my case the spin bike was a compromise between my preference for e-motion rollers and wanting to get something "uncomplicated" to encourage my wife to become more committed to cycling. The 300PT does that - 15 seconds to make adjustments before working out, jump on and go. The other desirable feature is that it is rock solid if you really want to crank on it. I'd prefer to ride outside if at all possible, so the CycleOps is set up for my wife, but if I can't get a ride in, I make the quick adjustments and do my workout, then reset it for her.

The detriment of the pre-2010 CycleOps spin bikes is that there is no freehub - i.e. no coasting to give your legs a break during a transition. You crank all the time. The newest versions of the CycleOps released last year do have a freehub. I suggest trying both versions if you decide a CycleOps is your solution. Inventory of these bikes moves slow enough that both are currently in the marketplace. I've tried the new version, but with just a very short demo I was undecided if the cost of a new model justified the freehub. (Older ones cannot be upgraded at this time). Starting from scratch, I'd probably opt for the freehub.

Resistance (regardless of trainer choice) is a poor simulation of actual riding for me. My riding style isn't to drive myself into low cadence grinding, but rather to focus on higher cadence to power through headwinds and up hills. Adjusting resistance and making allowances for the spinning mass of the flywheel to equilibrate is too slow to return the same input as actually shifting gears.

No question, if you're serious about power training and it is "all about you", then first put a power device on your bike and ride outside. How to bring that inside depends on finances, convenience, and logistics. My brother set up a CompuTrainer system for himself (which he thinks is terrific) and a ProForm TdF trainer for his wife. So again, bringing a significant other into the picture might change your approach.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

I have the 300PT - it was my preference for a spin bike at the time I purchased it a couple of years ago. There are probably better options today, both for value and functionality. Really depends on what constitutes value for you. In my case the spin bike was a compromise between my preference for e-motion rollers and wanting to get something "uncomplicated" to encourage my wife to become more committed to cycling. The 300PT does that - 15 seconds to make adjustments before working out, jump on and go. The other desirable feature is that it is rock solid if you really want to crank on it. I'd prefer to ride outside if at all possible, so the CycleOps is set up for my wife, but if I can't get a ride in, I make the quick adjustments and do my workout, then reset it for her.

The detriment of the pre-2010 CycleOps spin bikes is that there is no freehub - i.e. no coasting to give your legs a break during a transition. You crank all the time. The newest versions of the CycleOps released last year do have a freehub. I suggest trying both versions if you decide a CycleOps is your solution. Inventory of these bikes moves slow enough that both are currently in the marketplace. I've tried the new version, but with just a very short demo I was undecided if the cost of a new model justified the freehub. (Older ones cannot be upgraded at this time). Starting from scratch, I'd probably opt for the freehub.

Resistance (regardless of trainer choice) is a poor simulation of actual riding for me. My riding style isn't to drive myself into low cadence grinding, but rather to focus on higher cadence to power through headwinds and up hills. Adjusting resistance and making allowances for the spinning mass of the flywheel to equilibrate is too slow to return the same input as actually shifting gears.

No question, if you're serious about power training and it is "all about you", then first put a power device on your bike and ride outside. How to bring that inside depends on finances, convenience, and logistics. My brother set up a CompuTrainer system for himself (which he thinks is terrific) and a ProForm TdF trainer for his wife. So again, bringing a significant other into the picture might change your approach.
The ProForm TdF trainer looks interesting. Does it have a freehub to allow coasting? The price is a lot better than the Cycleops as well!

On the other hand, the CompuTrainer simulator looks like is the thing to get! Price is very high... and shipping to Canada is about $200~

Quote:

The ProForm TdF trainer looks interesting. Does it have a freehub to allow coasting?

Not sure. Will ask.

The ProForm TdF trainer looks interesting. Does it have a freehub to allow coasting? ~

Yes - it does allow coasting. Very much an "electronic trainer" as opposed to the mechanical nature of the CycleOps 300

From all the review I have seen, the computrainer seems to be the way to go! Just wondering when they will have the update software available call Racemate One.