Bike trainers

mikefrommi

Jul 25, 2003
Looking for some input on indoor bike trainers.

Currently looking at the Minoura Hyper Rim rim drive trainer. I'm thinking I would like to stay away from the roller type so as not to wear down my tire and to keep the noise level down.

How is this brand and make trainer and is there any others out there that are comparable?

I have the Minoura and it gets the job done pretty well. All trainers make some noise though. The minoura is considerably quiet but the tire will make the biggest difference. I use my road bike on the trainer, its the quietest type of tire that you can use. MTB tires will make a lot of noise because of the tread. You will need to get a completely slick tire to keep the noise down. The best you can do is get one of those really cheap wheelsets that go for like $60 or just get a really cheap rear wheel built with a Deore or LX hub and cassette with a MTB slick and swap the rear wheel for the trainer. It will keep your MTB knobbies from wearing down and save you the hassle of swapping tires when you want to use the trainer.