Bike transition

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by stumpy, Apr 16, 2003.

1. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Well I am a newbie to this forum and triathlons. I have one, no I have two questions and they are both rather general.

First, I am training for my first triathlon (sprint actually - .5/18/5) and have been training on a full suspension mountain bike (this where I came from and is still my fav) and know I need to switch to a road bike. I have NEVER done a long distance ride on a road bike. Generally speaking, what immediate gains (differences) will I notice? I logged about 2,000 miles last year and 50% was on the road (vs. trail) on this full suspension hog. I find the ride comfortable on this bike, but I can feel the energy loss when climbing, even with the suspension as stiff as it will go.

The running is not an issue (not fast, but I can do the distance).

Last, I have not started the swimming training yet (race is middle of September of this year), but am an avid, fairly heavy lifter (hence the moniker). If I wait until May to start, do you think that is enough time to finish the 1/2 mile? I am going to the local Y and join the masters program (I think).

Stumpy

Tags: