Bike Transport Boxes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MikeyOz, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Looking into a good Bike Box for travelling; so does anyone here,

    have one ?
    Brand, model ?
    comments either good or bad, most appreciated

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    I have a Scicon Aero comfort bag. This is a soft bag with an internal frame, which the bike attaches with quick release skewers. It has a guard for the derailer to protect it from bending.

    Advantages: soft bag is lighter than a solid box. It is flexy, so you can put extra things in there. It stores better when not in use, you can also squeeze it into some car boots. It's cheaper than a hard case. The bike doesn't require complete disassembly.

    Disadvantages: it is soft, so you need to use padding to protect the bike from rough handling. It is also wise to loosen shifters, handlebars, seat posts and anything else that could be bent if bumped around. It is also not waterproof - a little spray or drizzle is ok, but a tropical downpour on the back of the baggage cart at Brisbane airport could be problematic...

    Hope this helps...

    Ritch

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > Looking into a good Bike Box for travelling; so does anyone here,
    >
    > have one ?
    > Brand, model ?
    > comments either good or bad, most appreciated

    I have one. Its a bike shop brand. Cardboard. has done trips to japan
    and london.

    Dave

  4. dej

    dej Guest

    "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Looking into a good Bike Box for travelling; so does anyone here,
    >
    > have one ?
    > Brand, model ?
    > comments either good or bad, most appreciated
    >

    > --
    > MikeyOz

    borrowed a mates 'bigfoot' branded bike box for when i went to london and
    france..
    apart from one of the boxes wheels falling off just outside paddington
    station:( there were no marks on the bike whatsoever and it didnt cost me
    any extra fee's in baggage weight
    things to note:
    dodgy wheels
    no locks (it has these strap things to close it)
    the case is basically 2 sides, one side slides into the other and the straps
    tie them together, this is very clumsy and takes a while to get right
    they cost a heap (around $600?), i think phantomcycles sell this particular
    brand..

  5. Donga

    Donga Guest

    I made one for about $100 and it's beaut. It's side-opening, which is
    much easier to load than the cardboard boxes you can get from a LBS for
    free. I got the idea from Excelsports, which used to sell them.

    I got a large sheet of Corflute from a signwriting supplier. I cut it
    into two pieces, then folded it to make two 'boxes' with three sides
    each. One half is slightly larger than the other, so it slides over its
    mate. Vacuum tends to hold them together.

    In the folded corners, I left tabs and used Tarzans Grip to glue it up,
    then taped it to smooth off edges that might catch and tear. You could
    also rivet it. I got three sheets of foam to put on the sides and
    between the frame and wheels. The dimensions are around 1200x785x280 I
    think. You lay one side down, put in foam, put in the frame etc.
    another piece of foam, the wheels, another piece of foam and then the
    other side slides over. Lastly I lash it with some straps - as much for
    carrying as holding it together.

    It's cheap, light, strong, fairly durable. Saved about $400+ over a
    store-bought version. I've used it for a dozen flights and it's hardly
    worse for wear.

    If you want to email me for some pics, add 'ike' before @.

    Donga

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Donga wrote:

    > I made one for about $100 and it's beaut. It's side-opening, which is
    > much easier to load than the cardboard boxes you can get from a LBS for
    > free. I got the idea from Excelsports, which used to sell them.
    >
    > I got a large sheet of Corflute from a signwriting supplier. I cut it
    > into two pieces, then folded it to make two 'boxes' with three sides
    > each. One half is slightly larger than the other, so it slides over its
    > mate. Vacuum tends to hold them together.
    >
    > In the folded corners, I left tabs and used Tarzans Grip to glue it up,
    > then taped it to smooth off edges that might catch and tear. You could
    > also rivet it. I got three sheets of foam to put on the sides and
    > between the frame and wheels. The dimensions are around 1200x785x280 I
    > think. You lay one side down, put in foam, put in the frame etc.
    > another piece of foam, the wheels, another piece of foam and then the
    > other side slides over. Lastly I lash it with some straps - as much for
    > carrying as holding it together.
    >
    > It's cheap, light, strong, fairly durable. Saved about $400+ over a
    > store-bought version. I've used it for a dozen flights and it's hardly
    > worse for wear.
    >
    > If you want to email me for some pics, add 'ike' before @.
    >
    > Donga

    I use a Qantas bike box. It cost me about $15. I take off the front
    wheels and use a little fork protector cap that came with the bike. On
    my tri bike, I loosen the handlbars and rotate them down, so I don't
    need to take the profile bars off. I take the seat off my tri bike
    because it's got bidon cages behind it that don't fit. I leave the
    pedals on and just tuck a towel around them so they don't poke through.
    It's incredibly quick and I've had no problems.

    Tam

  7. DeF

    DeF Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > I made one for about $100 and it's beaut. It's side-opening, which is
    > much easier to load than the cardboard boxes you can get from a LBS for
    > free. I got the idea from Excelsports, which used to sell them.
    >
    > I got a large sheet of Corflute from a signwriting supplier. I cut it
    > into two pieces, then folded it to make two 'boxes' with three sides
    > each. One half is slightly larger than the other, so it slides over its
    > mate. Vacuum tends to hold them together.
    >
    > In the folded corners, I left tabs and used Tarzans Grip to glue it up,
    > then taped it to smooth off edges that might catch and tear. You could
    > also rivet it. I got three sheets of foam to put on the sides and
    > between the frame and wheels. The dimensions are around 1200x785x280 I
    > think. You lay one side down, put in foam, put in the frame etc.
    > another piece of foam, the wheels, another piece of foam and then the
    > other side slides over. Lastly I lash it with some straps - as much for
    > carrying as holding it together.
    >
    > It's cheap, light, strong, fairly durable. Saved about $400+ over a
    > store-bought version. I've used it for a dozen flights and it's hardly
    > worse for wear.
    >
    > If you want to email me for some pics, add 'ike' before @.
    >
    > Donga

    I'd be interested in some pics and more design info. I'm after
    a box so I can take a bike when I go and see the TdU next year.

    Anyone else going?

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > Looking into a good Bike Box for travelling; so does anyone here,
    >
    > have one ?
    > Brand, model ?
    > comments either good or bad, most appreciated

    When I traveled to Perth with my roady last summer, I took
    it over in a box (cannondale, but I burnt the logo off! big
    boxes, cracknfails ...) from my LBS - free.

    On the way back, I bought a qantas box ($15 from memory) and put
    it in that.

    Commercial bike bags range from $300-odd plus ... IMO, unless you
    travel a lot, not worth it.