Bike transport by train from Sydney to Narrabri

Enno Middelberg

Guest
Hi,

I am planning to transport my bike from Sydney to Narrabri shortly. Does
anyone have some (recent) experience about how far CountryLink expects
me to disassemble my bike? Will it be enough to align the handle bars
with the frame and to take the pedals off?

Thanks for any advice,

Enno
--
Remove "REMOVE_ME" for PM replies

Enno Middelberg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am planning to transport my bike from Sydney to Narrabri shortly. Does
> anyone have some (recent) experience about how far CountryLink expects
> me to disassemble my bike? Will it be enough to align the handle bars
> with the frame and to take the pedals off?
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Enno

No but I had a wonderful time on the mail train from Sydney to Narrabri
in 1979 in the middle of winter ............... brrrrrrrr. You heading
up to Mt Kaputar?

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Enno Middelberg said:
Hi,

I am planning to transport my bike from Sydney to Narrabri shortly. Does
anyone have some (recent) experience about how far CountryLink expects
me to disassemble my bike? Will it be enough to align the handle bars
with the frame and to take the pedals off?

Thanks for any advice,

Enno
--
Remove "REMOVE_ME" for PM replies

Countrylink luggage

Phone 132 232.

You need to Book a bike space on the train (only 3)

Up to 50% discount for booking on line.

Google is your friend !

Peter McCallum wrote:
> No but I had a wonderful time on the mail train from Sydney to Narrabri
> in 1979 in the middle of winter ............... brrrrrrrr. You heading
> up to Mt Kaputar?

No, to the Observatory. I am planning to cycle back to Lithgow after my
observations and then take the train across the Blue Mountains back to
Sydney.

Enno
--
Remove "REMOVE_ME" for PM replies

On 2005-08-15, Enno Middelberg (aka Bruce)
> Peter McCallum wrote:
>> No but I had a wonderful time on the mail train from Sydney to Narrabri
>> in 1979 in the middle of winter ............... brrrrrrrr. You heading
>> up to Mt Kaputar?

> No, to the Observatory. I am planning to cycle back to Lithgow after my
> observations and then take the train across the Blue Mountains back to
> Sydney.

Checks email address. Not another bloody astronomer!

What's wrong with the bikes at the observatory? :) Better than the
singlespeeds at Parkes (It's not that I am a heathen, it's more that
they're broken).

--
TimC
According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics

"Enno Middelberg" wrote:

> I am planning to transport my bike from Sydney to Narrabri shortly. Does
> anyone have some (recent) experience about how far CountryLink expects me
> to disassemble my bike? Will it be enough to align the handle bars with
> the frame and to take the pedals off?

CountryLink? That'd be using the XPT, I gather?

They expect you to fit your bike into a standard bike box as avilable from
bike shops. This requires the front wheel to be removed, handlebars turned
sideways and pedals removed, normally.

Be prepared to argue if you don't do this. In NSW they get kinda fussy, but
I did travel Melb-Sydney and back from Murwillumbah with a touring bike that
did not have the wheels removed. Taking the wheel off achieved nothing as I
had a front low-rider rack. Kicked the end out of the box, wheel protruding
6 inches, then taped it up. Because I'd already travelled Melb-Sydney the
ornery station guy at Murwillumbah couldn't argue that it wouldn't fit in
the racks.

You will also have to book the bike in advance as they only allow _two
bikes_ per train. For bike transport NSW rail sucks, and their disease is
spreading down into Victoria.

Cheers
Peter

4 times so far

You got to book and it cost $11 I think.
They give you a well used box
You need to remove your pedals. (15 mm spanner)
I took off my handle bars and front wheel (Allen key that was)
Also took some tape so that you could tape the pedals to the bike,
rather than let them flop around loose in the box. Miscellaneous junk
can be chucked in the box as well.
And of course you have to assemble it at the other end

All pretty harmless

Owen

Hi,

thanks for your replies, that gives me an idea of what to expect.

Enno
--
Remove "REMOVE_ME" for PM replies