Bike Travel Cases

Counttwist

Nov 18, 2003
Need to get a bike travel case for a trip to England. I might as well buy one since it will cost me $50+ to rent one and this won't be the last time I need one.

So . . . any recommendations as to which one is better in the $200-350 range? I note a lot of people seem to be selling a Trico case on eBay for about $225, which could be good or bad. I've also heard good things about the Serfas hard case for $325 or so.

They look the same to me -- any reason why the Serfas case would be worth an extra $100? Are there better models available for around the same price?

This case would be used almost exclusively for air travel and not UPS shipment.

Thanks.

trico sports ironcase is the bomb...sturdy and robust...used one many times with no problems. I just read a review of the serfas case on pezcycling, and didn't like the looks of the latching mechanisms...you can't lock the case in today's climate of heightened security or someone will break the lock and/or case to inspect it. the ironcase is bundled together with adjustable straps that snap together similar to a helmet strap. put everything in place, put on the top cover, and snug it up with the adjustable straps. be sure to put your name and address on the outside. at $250 new, you can't beat the ironcase.

Originally posted by Counttwist
Need to get a bike travel case for a trip to England. I might as well buy one since it will cost me $50+ to rent one and this won't be the last time I need one.

So . . . any recommendations as to which one is better in the $200-350 range?

If you have some manufacturing skills - build one!
The first one I built was for my brother, it cost about $150 and 20 hours build time, but that baby was meant to look good and to last a lifetime. The second one was only designed for a limited number of trips, cost me $40, took about 8 hours to build and hasn't broken yet.

It can be done without fancy tools and with very little hazardous materials. Functionality wise, they're both at least equal to the ones that are commercially available.