Bike Tune-up

Dan

Guest
Hello,

I am just getting back into my cycling and trying to tune up my bike. I will try to explain the
problem I am having but I might not be using the proper terminology. I hope I can make myself clear.

I am setting up the rear derailer but I can't get it to shift correctly. When I start in the
smallest gear and shift it up to the larger gears (making it easier to pedal) it shifts just fine.

When I shift back down it always delays one shift except on the very last shift, then it skips one
of the gears.

Here is a more detailed description of the action. It is a 7 gear sprocket. When it is on the
largest gear and I give the rapid shifter one click the derailer only moves slightly and the gear
doesn't change. One the next click it does change by one gear. Now it will will change one gear with
each click until I get to the 5 gear where a single click will cause it to skip the 6th gear and
jump right to the 7th gear which is where it is suppose to be.

If at any time I try to shift back up to a larger gear, after I have been shifting down, the first
click will do nothing and then subsequent clicks will work properly.

I hope this is clear. Now my question is "What needs to be done to fix this problem." To me it seem
the spring in the derailer isn't strong enough to bring the chain back down again until the very
last gear. I am hoping there is something else which I can adjust. I tightened the tension on the
cable which helped the shifting to a larger gear. If I loosen the cable tension it will miss the
first shift going up.

Well, that's enough. I hope someone can offer some help.

Thanks.

Dan

Sheldon Brown: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

..or take it into your LBS (local bike shop).

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> I am just getting back into my cycling and trying to tune up my bike. I will try to explain
> the problem I am having but I might not be using the proper terminology. I hope I can make
> myself clear.
>
> I am setting up the rear derailer but I can't get it to shift correctly. When I start in the
> smallest gear and shift it up to the larger gears (making it easier to pedal) it shifts just fine.
>
> When I shift back down it always delays one shift except on the very last shift, then it skips one
> of the gears.
>
> Here is a more detailed description of the action. It is a 7 gear sprocket. When it is on the
> largest gear and I give the rapid shifter one click the derailer only moves slightly and the gear
> doesn't change. One the next click it does change by one gear. Now it will will change one gear
> with each click until I get to the 5 gear where a single click will cause it to skip the 6th gear
> and jump right to the 7th gear which is where it is suppose to be.
>
> If at any time I try to shift back up to a larger gear, after I have been shifting down, the first
> click will do nothing and then subsequent clicks will work properly.
>
> I hope this is clear. Now my question is "What needs to be done to fix this problem." To me it
> seem the spring in the derailer isn't strong enough to bring the chain back down again until the
> very last gear. I am hoping there is something else which I can adjust. I tightened the tension on
> the cable which helped the shifting to a larger gear. If I loosen the cable tension it will miss
> the first shift going up.
>
> Well, that's enough. I hope someone can offer some help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dan

Same problem - and I actually took it to my LBS. The repairman says I need a whole new (left) lever
but due to time (and money) constrictions I just had him lock my gears into the higher sprocket for
now (my next tri doesn't have too many hills to contend with). Not sure of the correct terminology
either ... ~lx

news:<[email protected]>...

On 12 Aug 2003 10:55:53 -0700, [email protected] (levelx) wrote:

>Same problem - and I actually took it to my LBS. The repairman says I need a whole new (left) lever
>but due to time (and money) constrictions I just had him lock my gears into the higher sprocket for
>now (my next tri doesn't have too many hills to contend with). Not sure of the correct terminology
>either ... ~lx

Huh? I'm not a bike mechanic by any means, but it sounds liek a simple cable
adjustment to me.

~Matt

>[email protected] (Marty) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Sheldon Brown: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
>>
>> ..or take it into your LBS (local bike shop).
>>

>> "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am just getting back into my cycling and trying to tune up my bike. I will try to explain the
>> > problem I am having but I might not be using the proper terminology. I hope I can make myself
>> > clear.
>> >
>> > I am setting up the rear derailer but I can't get it to shift correctly. When I start in the
>> > smallest gear and shift it up to the larger gears (making it easier to pedal) it shifts just
>> > fine.
>> >
>> > When I shift back down it always delays one shift except on the very last shift, then it skips
>> > one of the gears.
>> >
>> > Here is a more detailed description of the action. It is a 7 gear sprocket. When it is on the
>> > largest gear and I give the rapid shifter one click the derailer only moves slightly and the
>> > gear doesn't change. One the next click it does change by one gear. Now it will will change one
>> > gear with each click until I get to the 5 gear where a single click will cause it to skip the
>> > 6th gear and jump right to the 7th gear which is where it is suppose to be.
>> >
>> > If at any time I try to shift back up to a larger gear, after I have been shifting down, the
>> > first click will do nothing and then subsequent clicks will work properly.
>> >
>> > I hope this is clear. Now my question is "What needs to be done to fix this problem." To me it
>> > seem the spring in the derailer isn't strong enough to bring the chain back down again until
>> > the very last gear. I am hoping there is something else which I can adjust. I tightened the
>> > tension on the cable which helped the shifting to a larger gear. If I loosen the cable tension
>> > it will miss the first shift going up.
>> >
>> > Well, that's enough. I hope someone can offer some help.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Dan

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I am setting up the rear derailer but I can't get it to shift correctly. When I start in the
> smallest gear and shift it up to the larger gears (making it easier to pedal) it shifts just fine.
>
> When I shift back down it always delays one shift except on the very last shift, then it skips one
> of the gears.

Consider the possibility that you have dirty or frayed cable inside the housing. This could make the
cable tension inconsistent, whether you are shifting up or down.

The fix would be straightforward; clean or replace the cable and housing.

Some other possibilities that your LBS should have proposed would include: a clean and properly
lubricated chain, clean cogs, derailleur spring tension.

Good Luck,

rsquared

Originally posted by Witheld
"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I am setting up the rear derailer but I can't get it to shift correctly. When I start in the
> smallest gear and shift it up to the larger gears (making it easier to pedal) it shifts just fine.
>
> When I shift back down it always delays one shift except on the very last shift, then it skips one
> of the gears.

Consider the possibility that you have dirty or frayed cable inside the housing. This could make the
cable tension inconsistent, whether you are shifting up or down.

The fix would be straightforward; clean or replace the cable and housing.

Some other possibilities that your LBS should have proposed would include: a clean and properly
lubricated chain, clean cogs, derailleur spring tension.

Good Luck,

rsquared

I agree the chances are that changing the cable and housing will help the situation. If you do this and give the whole drive train a good clean and a lube then hopefully you should be shifting sweetly every time.

Assuming you have Shimano components to adjust the cable you have to tighten the clamp in the correct position on the rear derailer for a rough cable position. Put the shifter in the highest (7th gear) pull the cable tight by hand or using pliers and tighten. Hopefully you should have a plastic screw adjuster that is attached to the derailer which the cable passes through. This is for fine tuning the cable tension to allow perfect shifting.

If the shifting is still a problem then I'm afraid a new shifter and possible a new rear derailer may be necessary, but considering that most of the components in the shifter are plastc that should be changed first.

Most Shimano components are good quality but you get smoother shifting the more you spend. If you could afford to upgrade to a 8 speed or even better 9 speed setup you would wonder why you never tried it before and you will never go back to just 7 cogs!!

Good Luck