BIKE TUNE UP

LB CYCLIST

Mar 22, 2010
hi everyone im lookin at participatng in the FIESTA METRIC ride in san diego next mnth, i would like to have my bike tuned up before the race. this will be my first time having my bike tuned up.(i only had it 2 monthes and itwas sent down as a gift from a relative)
my question is what all is involded in having your bike tuned up?
whats done?
and whats the price rang it would cost me?
i also need to have my derailer adjusted.

any info would help. just wanna make sure i have all my numbers together, before i register for the event.

thanks

A lot of times bike shops include a "tune up" in the purchase price of a new bike.

If a new bike is ridden regularly then within a month or two, the cables will stretch, and adjustments need to be made.

It sounds like you didn't buy your bike from the bike shop you are taking it to for the tune up, so I'm sure it's going to cost you some money, but I don't know how much.

My bike shop would ask you if you have had any problems, then they will inspect the bike, checking to see if the wheels are true, do the brakes or shifters need adjustments, etc.

You've probably already done this, but I'd check it over myself before I take it in, that way you'll have any idea of what they may need to do.

There shouldn't be too much to do on your bike, but you did mention it needed a derailer adjusted and that's probably just because the cable has stretched a bit. New cables often stretch out at first and need adjusting, but then they normally settle in and don't require too much attention. That only takes a minute or so for a good bike mechanic to adjust.

LB CYCLIST said:
....my question is what all is involded in having your bike tuned up?...
It depends on the shop in question, but basically it involves checking everything for wear and making routine adjustments as necessary to:

- Brakes
- Derailleurs
- Headset bearings
- Bottom Bracket bearings
- Hub bearings
- Truing Wheels

And checking the normal wear items like chains, tires, and brake pads to see if they're worn to the point of replacing. You'll also generally get back a clean bike with a cleaned and lubricated drive train.

Some shops offer a couple of levels of tune up but they should all cover safety checks and basic adjustments like your derailleur adjustment.

-Dave

cool thanks everyone, i think it might be time for a tune up, my chain seems to slip when its in the 2 smallest cogs,wich is funny cause on all the other cogs it rides fine. i think my rear derailer might need adjusted

.:confused:

but i need them smaller cogs for top end.

any1 have a idea what the problem might be? i was thinkin of oiling it up and see what happens?

Smallest cogs are likely to be the first to wear out, as (1) most riders spend a lot of time using them and (2) each tooth on a small cog gets more wear per turn of the crank than do the teeth on the larger cogs. You may need both a new chain and a new cassette. You LBS can check your chain for wear in a few seconds. Cassette wear is less obvious unless it's badly worn.

If the bike was purchased new and you've only had it 2 months, I wouldn't think it would have much wear on it yet.

Probably just needs adjusting or some lubrication.

well the bike i have is old,it was givin to my by a relative,it might be worn out.
im gonna take it to the bike shop and have em check it this weekend.

Probably needs a new chain and cassette. A friend of mine took her bike to her LBS and was quoted $120 for a tune up, so she brought it to me. It is a worthwhile investment to learn how to do your own tune ups, either from a class offered by your LBS or from a book or online source. Bikes are fairly simple machines and are easy to work on..