Bike Unknown

Burnsbikes

Feb 18, 2010
I found a bicycle at a garage sale and I need advice. Would you have paid $20.00 for a bike with no name?

I found this old balloon tire bike at a garage sale.

It has: Capri brand tires; Hunt Wilde Grips; and New Departure Hubs (Front Model W) and (Rear Model D)

I was guessing that this rust bucket is dated between the 30's and 50's.

The problem is that the tag in the front is missing. The serial number is C68465

Any idea what this thing is or if it is worth twenty bucks? Thanks All!

Burnsbikes said:
I found a bicycle at a garage sale and I need advice. Would you have paid $20.00 for a bike with no name?

I found this old balloon tire bike at a garage sale.

It has: Capri brand tires; Hunt Wilde Grips; and New Departure Hubs (Front Model W) and (Rear Model D)

I was guessing that this rust bucket is dated between the 30's and 50's.

The problem is that the tag in the front is missing. The serial number is C68465

Any idea what this thing is or if it is worth twenty bucks? Thanks All!
Did you want to resell the bike OR to restore it OR what?

I wanted to restore it but the paint is rusted so bad that I am unsure of the correct color scheme and design. The inside of the finders are blue and in fair condition and that was how I know that the bike was blue. I can see some of the pinstriping but not all. I was wanting to see the original bicycle so I can make it look exactly how it used to. First I need a name plate for the front. I need to know what name plate I am looking for. Thanks for the reply.

Burnsbikes said:
I wanted to restore it but the paint is rusted so bad that I am unsure of the correct color scheme and design. The inside of the finders are blue and in fair condition and that was how I know that the bike was blue. I can see some of the pinstriping but not all. I was wanting to see the original bicycle so I can make it look exactly how it used to. First I need a name plate for the front. I need to know what name plate I am looking for. Thanks for the reply.
Well, my wild guess is that the bike is a COLUMBIA (because of the 'C' prefix to the serial number).

The pattern of the chainwheel's "spider" (which was often distinctive for each company) may give you a clue as to the actual manufacturer.

If you remove the rear fender and look at the paint underneath the "tab" where the frame's paint was not exposed to the elements then you can confirm the actual, original color of the frame, itself.

For only $20, I would say that you did much better than 'okay' as long as you reailze that repainting & replating could become costly.

I put some pictures up on my temp website.
Customer Testimonials

If you click on bikes a bunch of thumbnails are located there. The pics of the bike are at the bottom. Thanks for all of your help.