Bike Virginia 2004

Your posting got me interested. I went to the sight and from the two pictures there-I would say
DIFFICULT.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Will someone comment on the degree of difficulty a recumbent cyclist will face on the the Bike
> Virginia route for 2004 ?
>
> http://www.bikevirginia.org

Scott Talkington (who used to be a regular poster here) did the ride in 2002. IIRC there were a few
'killer hills' but his major complaint was that there was not enough food and were often out of food
by the time the late arrivals showed up in camp. The route map is not on the site yet, but from the
Schedule Page, it appears that the 2004 route takes place entirely in the Shenandoah Valley. Most of
which is gently rolling topography. (Unless the route crosses Massenutten Mtn or loops up the side
of the valley.)

My son Lives in Harrisonburg, Va. I might be a participant this year.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Will someone comment on the degree of difficulty a recumbent cyclist will face on the the Bike
> > Virginia route for 2004 ?
> >
> > http://www.bikevirginia.org
> >
> Scott Talkington (who used to be a regular poster here) did the ride in 2002. IIRC there were a
> few 'killer hills' but his major complaint was that there was not enough food and were often out
> of food by the time the late arrivals showed up in camp. The route map is not on the site yet, but
> from the Schedule Page, it appears that the 2004 route takes place entirely in the Shenandoah
> Valley. Most of which is gently rolling topography. (Unless the route crosses Massenutten Mtn or
> loops up the side of the valley.)
>
> My son Lives in Harrisonburg, Va. I might be a participant this year.

I did Bike Virginia 12 years ago when it ran up the Shenandoah valley from Lexington to Berryville.
I rode a 12-speed Trek road bike. The terrain around Lexington and Staunton was pretty hilly, but
further north its was rolling to flat. I did every option on every day and some were quite hilly.
That said, I could easily have avoided the worst hills and still have plenty of riding. If it fit
into my schedule I wouldn't hesitate to do this year's ride on my Tour Easy.

My memories of the topography from Harrisonburg north are a bit hazy. I did spend many years working
in Virginia but didn't visit that "corner" of the state very often. The reports that I have heard
from past participants vary. I guess that I'll have to wait for the route map to be published.
Thanks to all who replied!

Gene Bacchetta Strada RANS V-Rex

Originally posted by Gene Domenici
Will someone comment on the degree of difficulty a recumbent cyclist will face on the the Bike
Virginia route for 2004 ?

http://www.bikevirginia.org

Thanks!

Gene Tampa, FL

WHIRL (Washington’s Happily Independent Recumbent Lovers) reported over 20 recumbents out of 1800+ riders on last year’s BikeVA, including at least 6 Gold Rushes. Last year’s run included a run into WV which ought to have been more rugged than the route you are expecting. There is a WHIRL Winchester contingent, so there might be chatter within WHIRL about that time-maybe some of the Winchester riders may be up on the route.

Someone posted a bent ride report somewhere.

Gene Domenici wrote:

> Will someone comment on the degree of difficulty a recumbent cyclist will face on the the Bike
> Virginia route for 2004 ?
>
> http://www.bikevirginia.org
>
> Thanks!

The ride should be much easier if you ride a Barcroft Virginia.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

....why not a Columbia? You could be the stoker. :)

An excellent 20/20 tandem for those who have not seen one.

Gene

Gene Domenici wrote:

> ....why not a Columbia? You could be the stoker. :)

The Barcroft Columbia is only good for riding around the US capitol district.

The Barcroft Oregon is the bike to beat at the HPV races put on at Portland International Raceway by
Jeff Wills.

The Barcroft Dakota is the most versatile bike, as it is suitable to ride in two states.

Bill Cook is likely cringing if he is reading this.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Originally posted by Gene Domenici
....why not a Columbia? You could be the stoker. :)

An excellent 20/20 tandem for those who have not seen one.

Gene
California Dreamin for me!

M.E.B.
Arlington, VA

Hey Gene

Air up your tires, oil your chain and have a great time. This will be my first BV but friends who
ride it year after year say it is one of the best rides going. I have signed up already. The route
stays in the valley and will be rolling hills only with no mountain passes to climb. The daily
mileage is flexible and you can do the entire tour in as little as 165 miles total for the week. Or
you can do the extra miles each day and it goes over 300 as I recall.

Peter Spirito

Whatever happened to Scott anyway? Didn't he have a V-Rex with a Rohloff on it?

"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Will someone comment on the degree of difficulty a recumbent cyclist
will
> > face on the the Bike Virginia route for 2004 ?
> >
> > http://www.bikevirginia.org
> >
> Scott Talkington (who used to be a regular poster here) did the ride in 2002. IIRC there were a
> few 'killer hills' but his major complaint was that there was not enough food and were often out
> of food by the time the late arrivals showed up in camp. The route map is not on the site yet, but
> from the Schedule Page, it appears that the 2004 route takes place entirely in the Shenandoah
> Valley. Most of which is gently rolling topography. (Unless the route crosses Massenutten Mtn or
> loops up the side of the valley.)
>
> My son Lives in Harrisonburg, Va. I might be a participant this year.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Sounds great, Peter! Thanks to all who replied.

Gene

Bryan Ball wrote:

> Whatever happened to Scott anyway? Didn't he have a V-Rex with a Rohloff on it?

Prof. Talkington last posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on November 27, 2003.

Tom Sherman - Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Peter - Do your friends have any comments on the food shortage issue?

john riley

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > Whatever happened to Scott anyway? Didn't he have a V-Rex with a Rohloff on it?
>
> Last I heard from Scott, his principal activity was rowing machines.

My idea having died and gone to Hell!

Do cyclists ever do any kind of indoor exercise type of activity? I simply cannot imagine such a
thing after experiencing the enjoyment of cycling in the great out of doors. And I am living in
Minnesota, a state where the weather is constantly trying to kill you. I do admire folks who can
do indoor exercise, but I guess I would rather be dead myself. It is better to get out on your
bicycle in even the worst weather than to try to prolong your health and your life via indoor
exercise machines.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 4 Jan 2004 13:13:03 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> It is better to get out on your bicycle in even the worst weather than to try to prolong your
> health and your life via indoor exercise machines.

Well, if you row indoors, your life will FEEL much longer.

It reminds me of the time a guy recommended a new country and western FM station in my area. I told
him I'd give it a listen. He later asked me if I'd checked it out and I told him I'd listened to it
while mowing my lawn. Well, how'd you like it, he asked. Great, I responded, it cut in half the time
it took me to mow the lawn. He was beaming until he really thought about it...

[email protected] (john riley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Peter - Do your friends have any comments on the food shortage issue?
>
> john riley

Everything was positive, no negative comments at all. They have done BV several times. I am really
looking forward to it.

I find I gain weight on multi-day tours. I average gaining 3 pounds per 100 miles. I don't dare do a
cross country trip.

Peter Spirito