bike virginia 6/20-25

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Tags:

  2. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Al:

    Did it last year, but probably not this year. They ran out of food in Hillsdale, after the toughest
    day. And there weren't really any easy days. Not sure what I'll do this year, but it won't be BV.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi benters, i plan on doing bike virginia 2/20-25. hope to see some of you there.
    > http://www.bikevirginia.org/index.html ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

  3. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:
    > hi benters, i plan on doing bike virginia 2/20-25. hope to see some of you there.
    > http://www.bikevirginia.org/index.html ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

    Bentaero (AKA Blackrush) is going with a few 'bent-riding cohorts. I will not be among them. Try to
    not tantalize the roadies too much.
    :) That month is June, right? not February?

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    John Foltz wrote:

    > Bentaero (AKA Blackrush) is going with a few 'bent-riding cohorts. I will not be among them. Try
    > to not tantalize the roadies too much.
    > :) That month is June, right? not February?

    I would rather ride across Virginia in February than in June, since it is typically hot and
    humid in June.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  5. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > John Foltz wrote:
    >
    >>Bentaero (AKA Blackrush) is going with a few 'bent-riding cohorts. I will not be among them. Try
    >>to not tantalize the roadies too much.
    >>:) That month is June, right? not February?
    >>

    > I would rather ride across Virginia in February than in June, since it is typically hot and humid
    > in June.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

    I had considered Bike Virginia, but decided instead to ride the innaugural GITAP, the Grand
    Illinois Trails and Parks ride. There are just a few openings left, so if you look at
    http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/gitap.htm and decide you're interested, better let this guy know
    soon: [email protected] . It looks like it should be fun. And after checking out the state
    parks they're using for overnights, June can't come soon enough!

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Larry Varney wrote:
    > I had considered Bike Virginia, but decided instead to ride the innaugural GITAP, the Grand
    > Illinois Trails and Parks ride. There are just a few openings left, so if you look at
    > http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/gitap.htm and decide you're interested, better let this guy
    > know soon: [email protected] . It looks like it should be fun. And after checking out the
    > state parks they're using for overnights, June can't come soon enough!

    Larry,

    Someone is excited about coming to Illinois - what a concept!

    Actually, I would be tempted to do this ride except it is at a bad time of year for me. I am not too
    disappointed, since I am within day trip distance of all the parks and trails.

    Although it will likely be fairly hot and humid, the ride should not be that difficult. Most of the
    route could be ridden with just a single chainring and a normal range cassette with no problem. I
    would recommend tires suitable for pavement, gravel, and limestone screenings.

    If you have time on the final day, a visit to the dells area Matthiessen State Park [1] (very close
    to Starved Rock State Park) is recommended. (If the picture of the reconstructed fort in the picnic
    area looks familiar, it is the middle rest stop for the 106 mile route on the Bike
    Psycho's Century).

    I should warn you about RANS Stratus riders with Easy Racers type handlebars, as I believe that Ben
    Fox is planning on doing the ride. ;)

    [1] http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/R1/mttindex.htm

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  7. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Larry,
    >
    > Someone is excited about coming to Illinois - what a concept!
    >
    > Actually, I would be tempted to do this ride except it is at a bad time of year for me. I am not
    > too disappointed, since I am within day trip distance of all the parks and trails.
    >
    > Although it will likely be fairly hot and humid, the ride should not be that difficult. Most of
    > the route could be ridden with just a single chainring and a normal range cassette with no
    > problem. I would recommend tires suitable for pavement, gravel, and limestone screenings.
    >
    > If you have time on the final day, a visit to the dells area Matthiessen State Park [1] (very
    > close to Starved Rock State Park) is recommended. (If the picture of the reconstructed fort in
    > the picnic area looks familiar, it is the middle rest stop for the 106 mile route on the Bike
    > Psycho's Century).
    >
    > I should warn you about RANS Stratus riders with Easy Racers type
    handlebars,
    > as I believe that Ben Fox is planning on doing the ride. ;)
    >
    > [1] http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/R1/mttindex.htm
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

    I was pretty undecided about what rides to do this year, at least after Bike Florida in March,
    Florida Bicycle Safari in April, TOSRV+ in May, and the Horsey Hundred on Memorial Day weekend. I
    had considered TRIRI - it's always a great ride - but I thought, hey, this ride sounds a lot like
    TRIRI, it's fairly easy to get to, it's the first year for it, small crowd, loop, catered meals,
    camp in state parks, etc. - all of the things I like. So hey, if you can't do the whole week,
    come up for one of the days. I'll be riding my Greenspeed GTO, which should be perfect on any of
    the non-paved trails.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  8. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Although it will likely be fairly hot and humid...

    Seems to me the weather could be practically anything in June.

    > Most of the route could be ridden with just a single chainring and a normal range cassette with no
    > problem....

    Except for that bit from Savana to Rockford.

    I am a bit surprised that the "Great River Trail" is actually a trail. Not all that much information
    on the web about it, but it does seem to be that. On the Iowa side the roads along the river have
    signs that say "Great River Road" or some such. I think this 26 year-old ride in that general area
    is all on roads:

    http://www.qcbc.org/tomrv/

    John Riley

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    John Riley wrote:

    > ... I am a bit surprised that the "Great River Trail" is actually a trail. Not all that much
    > information on the web about it, but it does seem to be that....

    The Great River Trail runs (with a few minor breaks) along the east bank of the Mississippi from the
    west side of Rock Island to north of Cordova and is being gradually extended all the way to Savanna.
    The trail is paved and for the most part free of joggers, dog walkers, and small children north of
    Rapids City. I have seen quite a few recumbents on it during the day when driving on Route 84 (for
    work). There appears to be an employee at the 3M Cordova plant that commutes on a SWB Vision.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  10. Dave Kee

    Dave Kee Guest

    Here is the latest on GITAP from the organizer Chuck Oestreich.

    "GITAP riders and those interested, Yesterday we were close; today we're at our limit. Still
    interested? Call or e-mail before sending in anything. The waiting list priority begins right now."

    Chuck Oestreich 818 - 22nd Street Rock Island, IL 61201 309-788-1845 [email protected]