bike weight approximations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.

    The frame is 60 cm.

    What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?

    Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
    14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?

    Thanks in advance for your input and collective knowledge!

    Jeff

    >I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages. The frame is 60 cm. What would
    >the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?

    Less than 19.5 lbs.

    >Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
    >14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?

    if there was a formula, it would be specific to each frame line.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages. The frame is 60 cm. What
    > >would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?
    >
    > Less than 19.5 lbs.
    >
    > >Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike
    > >weighs 14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at
    > >60-62 cm?
    >
    > if there was a formula, it would be specific to each frame line.

    To put it another way..."Constants aren't and variables don't". ;^)

    Mike

  4. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On 23 Jan 2003 10:17:33 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff) wrote:

    >I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.
    >
    >The frame is 60 cm.
    >
    >What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?
    >
    >Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
    >14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your input and collective knowledge!
    >
    >Jeff

    There's no formula, you need to know all the tube lengths and wall thicknesses, and also the length
    of the butts because tubesets come in a smaller range of sizes than frames. After that, you just
    have to account for different stem lengths and bar widths on the different sized frames. If you're
    that much of a weight weenie, don't buy anything until you've actually weighed it yourself, because
    manufacturing tolerances will make enough of a difference to sway your choice. Don't be surprised if
    your LBS throws you out for weighing all the tyres before selecting one.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    On 23 Jan 2003 10:17:33 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff) wrote:

    >I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.
    >
    >The frame is 60 cm.
    >
    >What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?
    >
    >Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
    >14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?

    To swag the difference in the frame, figure between 1.5% and 2.0% per cm in frame size.

    The only other differences between the weight of the bikes will be the (very) slightly longer
    cables on the bigger bike and the longer steer tube on the fork, and that varies a lot depending on
    the material and diameter of the steer tube. If the big bike has a longer stem/wider bars that adds
    a bit too.

  6. jeffinco-<< I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.

    The frame is 60 cm.

    What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?

    somewhat less....

    << Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike
    weighs 14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh
    at 60-62 cm?

    Nope because it's not linear...that is, each frameset is kinda unique in it's characteristics, not
    just smaller.

    And if a biike really weighs 14 pounds.....