bike weight approximations

Jeff

Guest
I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.

The frame is 60 cm.

What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?

Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?

Thanks in advance for your input and collective knowledge!

Jeff

>I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages. The frame is 60 cm. What would
>the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?

Less than 19.5 lbs.

>Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
>14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?

if there was a formula, it would be specific to each frame line.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages. The frame is 60 cm. What
> >would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?
>
> Less than 19.5 lbs.
>
> >Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike
> >weighs 14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at
> >60-62 cm?
>
> if there was a formula, it would be specific to each frame line.

To put it another way..."Constants aren't and variables don't". ;^)

Mike

On 23 Jan 2003 10:17:33 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff) wrote:

>I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.
>
>The frame is 60 cm.
>
>What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?
>
>Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
>14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?
>
>Thanks in advance for your input and collective knowledge!
>
>Jeff

There's no formula, you need to know all the tube lengths and wall thicknesses, and also the length
of the butts because tubesets come in a smaller range of sizes than frames. After that, you just
have to account for different stem lengths and bar widths on the different sized frames. If you're
that much of a weight weenie, don't buy anything until you've actually weighed it yourself, because
manufacturing tolerances will make enough of a difference to sway your choice. Don't be surprised if
your LBS throws you out for weighing all the tyres before selecting one.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

On 23 Jan 2003 10:17:33 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff) wrote:

>I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.
>
>The frame is 60 cm.
>
>What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?
>
>Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike weighs
>14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh at 60-62 cm?

To swag the difference in the frame, figure between 1.5% and 2.0% per cm in frame size.

The only other differences between the weight of the bikes will be the (very) slightly longer
cables on the bigger bike and the longer steer tube on the fork, and that varies a lot depending on
the material and diameter of the steer tube. If the big bike has a longer stem/wider bars that adds
a bit too.

jeffinco-<< I have a bike that weighs 19.5 pounds with pedals and bottle cages.

The frame is 60 cm.

What would the same bike weigh at 54 cm or 56 cm?

somewhat less....

<< Is there a formula for predicting bike weights, so if I see a bike review that claims a bike
weighs 14 pounds what size frame are they reviewing, and also what would that same bike weigh
at 60-62 cm?

Nope because it's not linear...that is, each frameset is kinda unique in it's characteristics, not
just smaller.

And if a biike really weighs 14 pounds.....