Bike Weight

Originally Posted by randochap .

Weight is over-rated. Are you planning on racing? If not, don't sweat it.
Careful pal, you might get "***** slapped" by the thread's enforcer.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

This sounds like the bike equivalent of a Leica camera lens discussion forum. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

My bike road ready is probaby ~ 28-30#: toolbag, lights, water bottles, etc. Probably ~20-22# unloaded...I'd love for it to be lighter...but I'm not in a big rush to make it so. Right now it's all about the ride....plus it makes it extra sweet when I pull the group and leave them behind on my "heavy low-tech" bike :)

the thread started off asking the question about weight and performance ,?

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

Quote: Originally Posted by Bob Ross .

There ya go. Every time I see some armchair critic on an internet forum blathering on about how "saving 20 grams won't make you any faster" yadda-yadda-yadda I want to *****-slap the douchebag and say "Hey wingnut, no one said anything about speed, we're talking about weight!" And saving 20 grams will make your bike weigh 20 grams less. End of story.

The problem is that some folks aren't imaginative enough to see weight saving as an end; they think it must be a means to some other end, and then they don't see its value because in those terms its value is indeed suspect. But a light bike is a light bike.

(btw, I'm not a weight-weeinie, my lightest bike is probably over 17.5lbs. But I wouldn't mind a lighter bike so I could more easily lift it over my head to hang it from the ceiling hook where I store it!)
Well, you are entitled to your opinion.

Too bad you can't state your opinion without calling others who stated their opinions "blathering idiots", "wingnuts", or "douchebags".

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

Yea, he was kind of blunt, but I considered it more of banter than internet tough guy sort of stuff.

But he has a point. When someone explicitly states he/she is doing it for the fun of making a light weight bike and that's the only reason, that riding a light bike is fun in and of itself, that he/she does not believe it will make the rider significantly faster, in fact does not do it to get faster, and really doesn't mind getting passed by others, making the simple statement that the purpose of a high quality and/or lightweight bike for many or most of us is not to go faster, but simply to enjoy the ride..... to then reply by repeating the same old tired cliches about "you better be a fast rider" or "I'll pass you on my MTB" or "it's not the bike it's the rider" again, and again and again as if there are some new insights being conveyed.... Well, that's just dumb and really does indicate at least some level of idiot-ness, wingnut-dom or douchbag-icity. You're not saying anything remotely new and informed. We've answered this! You don't need to say it again, and again, and again ... we get that you don't get it!

(I'm using the general "you", not directed at anyone in particular).

Just my opinion and I'm saying it just in the spirit of banter, not claiming to be an internet tough guy. I'm a middle aged guy pushing 60 who just likes to ride a nice bike at my own pace. You may be surprised, but I'm not on the road to race your sorry a$$. I'll never be faster than I am right now and can't for the life of me understand why I shouldn't ride as nice and light weight bike as I can afford without these idiot, douchbag uninspired comments. Go ahead and pass me in your cut-offs and Huffy, and sneer at me because you're faster on a cheaper bike. Be proud of racing a middle aged guy who isn't racing. I don't really give a rat's patoot.

Reactions: jpr95
well but there is an important figure, every 100 grams you save on moving parts like wheels, tires, cranks, chain, will mean 1 mph more.. that is for the flats, but anyway, i think light is good, anything for road bike over 18lb to me is heavy if it carbon, but anything under 14 lb is crazy, it is actually ilegal for racing
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

Weight is very important. Lose 5 lbs off your butt or stomach and I guarantee a difference in performance.

I have never weighed my bikes, but I estimate my road bikes are in the 20-25 pound range. I have a few sets of wheels, with my commuters and the rear rack my bike is perhaps in the 27 pound range.

Seventeen pounds sounds awful light to me, getting lighter would perhaps be only marginally better and increasingly expensive.

Heck, I can lose 6 pounds in a hour just by sweating (even with adequate hydration).

My bike is only 17.5 running ultegre - I am planning a move over to SRAM red-black when I get the cash, but it's more for the performance of the components v. the issue of weight. I am a little leery of putting my 195lbs/6'5 onto much less - just the physics of it starts to break down!

Im more or less a Mountain Goat and therefore ride a very light bike which pays off for me. Of course its not only the bike its the condition somebody is in. You can ride a super light weight bike and get passed by a granny on a army bike lol.

Mine's 22 lbs. with just the saddlebag. Lightweight parts don't make a difference to me, since I, myself am slightly squishy... so I'm toting around 15 more pounds than necessary. Once I slim down myself, I don't think I'll be complaining about a 22 lb. bike.

I'm 6'1", 185lbs and ride a 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite (carbon frame/fork) that weighs 20lbs, 3 oz with computer, saddle bag, and spares/tools.

I'm picking up a set of HED Jet 6 C2 Flamme Rouge wheels to replace the Mavic CXP22s that came on the bike. By swapping wheels and going with new tubes and Bontrager R4 tires, I'll shed over 1.5lbs.

The key to that is that I'm shedding rotational mass and that, to me, is the key area in which to focus if you want to shed weight.

Its all well and good spending numerous amount £ $ € on carbon bits and peices and shaving weight off the bike in lots of ways, me however has found it more benficail and cheaper to shave weight from losing it from my waist and body. thats the best thing. its all well and good having the lightest bike on the road but then if your carrying aload of excess fat then it equals out!

I have the money and time to build a 12 pound bike but I don't have a need.

My current bikes are about 20 pounds all up. Last fall I was climbing a 10% grade on a regular basis. It was hard for me. 34/27 and working hard. This spring same climb. Same bike. 34/25 always gets me up in comfort. Even 34/20 is not only doable but comfortable.

I bicycle to stay in reasonable condition. If I was a pro and got paid to ride, I would ride what I was given. Regardless of weight.

Reactions: NLPayne13
Lightness of a frame depends on what your going to do with it. Legal racing frame has to weigh at least 14.99 pounds to be legal for a UCI sanctioned race. My lightest bike currently is 20 pounds but it is made of steel, I use to race it back in the early 80's, and it will last forever. But touring bikes are heavier due to beefier frames to handle additional weight of touring gear, my touring bike is 25 pounds of steel again. Cross bikes will tend to be heavier then a road race bike due to the cross having to handle rough off road riding thus the frame needs to be beefy enough to take the stress.