Bike weights at Masters Worlds

Jack-o

Feb 19, 2006
I was interested to see that the UCI was checking bike weights at the Masters Worlds in Sydney to ensure they comply with the minimum 6.8kg rule.

All of the carbon bikes that I saw were comfortably over the limit (my own was 9.2kg:eek: )

However, most of the aluminium bikes were very close to the limit and one particular bike I saw weighed in at only 6.6kg. The rider was asked to "make his bike heavier" so he taped a folding multi-tool under his saddle. I thought this was very dangerous as I thought it might come loose, but the officials seemed satisfied that it was ok.

A better way of making the bike heavier is to remove the seatpost and drop a length of bicycle chain into the seat tube.

I'm not really going anwhere with this thread, I just thought it was interesting.

Jack-o said:
I was interested to see that the UCI was checking bike weights at the Masters Worlds in Sydney to ensure they comply with the minimum 6.8kg rule.

All of the carbon bikes that I saw were comfortably over the limit (my own was 9.2kg:eek: )

However, most of the aluminium bikes were very close to the limit and one particular bike I saw weighed in at only 6.6kg. The rider was asked to "make his bike heavier" so he taped a folding multi-tool under his saddle. I thought this was very dangerous as I thought it might come loose, but the officials seemed satisfied that it was ok.

A better way of making the bike heavier is to remove the seatpost and drop a length of bicycle chain into the seat tube.

I'm not really going anwhere with this thread, I just thought it was interesting.
My Teschner with disc and 4 spoke are right at the limit. My Aluminum Bianchi is a bit under with light wheels....BTW, How did you do?

Hi Bill,

Nothing spectacular at Masters Worlds. 6th in kilo with a 1:09.48 (pb by 0.2) and 7th in sprint (qual in 11.58, pb by 0.01). It was good fun though, racing against people from other countries. In my age group we had Malaysians, NZ'ers, USA, Argentina, Japan, Italy. It was terrific.

I felt v-special in my Aussie skinsuit!

Jack-o said:
Hi Bill,

Nothing spectacular at Masters Worlds. 6th in kilo with a 1:09.48 (pb by 0.2) and 7th in sprint (qual in 11.58, pb by 0.01). It was good fun though, racing against people from other countries. In my age group we had Malaysians, NZ'ers, USA, Argentina, Japan, Italy. It was terrific.

I felt v-special in my Aussie skinsuit!
Nice times. Those are my goal times for 08. Looking for 11.8 at TTown . That should translate into an 11.6 indoors..maybe. The 1:09 might be out of reach however. Good showing mate! Yah, you look a bit like Bayley in your skinsuit ...before you make the pic full size:)

Billsworld said:
Yah, you look a bit like Bayley in your skinsuit ...before you make the pic full size:)
.......and then you realise I'm better looking?:D

The bike weight rule is stupid and the UCI is run by spastics.

These are not opinions, they are demonstrable facts.

I'm a friend of the italian guys that came down there... Mascherpa and Bellinelli (age 30-34)! I still can't come since I'm 26 (I raced until U23)...in Italy we are about 20 people doing amateur track races, not more: our velodromes are very old (the shortest ones are 333,33 metres) and we do not have any covered track. Though I raced a lot on our italian tracks, I've never been racing indoor! Should be funny...

My bike is aluminium 7005, 8,0 kg since I use deep profile alu wheels (I don't want to spend a lot of money for 5 races per year...and I have to do 600 kms by car each race!)

Anytime you get to race in your country's kit it has to be a pretty cool feeling.

I will have to weigh mine sometime, with deep Al wheels and steel handlebars I am sure I am in no danger of 6.8.

Sikhandar said:
I'm a friend of the italian guys that came down there... Mascherpa and Bellinelli (age 30-34)! I still can't come since I'm 26 (I raced until U23)...in Italy we are about 20 people doing amateur track races, not more: our velodromes are very old (the shortest ones are 333,33 metres) and we do not have any covered track. Though I raced a lot on our italian tracks, I've never been racing indoor! Should be funny...
Have you raced at Firenze velodrome? Dodging all the prosititutes on the way to the track must be difficult. :p

classic1 said:
The bike weight rule is stupid and the UCI is run by spastics.

These are not opinions, they are demonstrable facts.
Nice to see that the UCI is an equal opportunity employer!:D

classic1 said:
Have you raced at Firenze velodrome? Dodging all the prosititutes on the way to the track must be difficult. :p
Heh you're right... though it's not a bad track (for an italian one...) Have you been there (RACING :D)?

Sikhandar said:
Heh you're right... though it's not a bad track (for an italian one...) Have you been there (RACING :D)?
Was neither racing nor rooting, though I could tell those big black african sheilas hanging around wanted me. :p

Stayed a few days in Florence and I saw on a map the velodrome was only about 200m away, so I went for a look. Besides the ho's some pro soccer club was training at the track, I don't know what team though, don't give a stuff about soccer if the truth be known. The bloke at the hotel said they train there regularly. I have an inkling the Florentine clubs are **** but I don't follow Italian soccer so aren't sure.