Bike Wheels- likely got sold a bill of goods at a LBS

idpated

Aug 4, 2010
Hello All,

When I started biking again I was using my MTB and wanted something with street tires. I bought this MTB at a LBS and it is an old Giant that is heavy as get out and pretty tough. I like it and use it on some off road paths, so I thought it nice to have a second bike I could use for commuting and paved trails.

I went to a Local LBS and asked about a Hybrid. I told the clerk my weight (and was honest ([I was almost 350then]) and was set up with a fuji crosstown 4.0. It's a 7 speed with 700 C wheels.

I really liked how the tires felt and bike handled and started using it for some 10-15 mile trips too.

About every 70-100 miles I need to get the wheels trued, and it seems to be getting worse each time. I talked to a competing LBS about it and the guy there told me I'm too big for the wheels and he suggested trying new wheels or a new bike, though he admitted he didn't now if new wheels could be fit to the bike that would handle my weight.

I did a lot of research after the fact and it seems I should have just went for a touring bike set up or a MTB and put on street tires. But since I already have this Fuji bike (and I do love it- riding it more than myself or my wife thought I would) I was thinking about trying to get it fixed up.

Would getting stronger 700C wheels (maybe from a tandem) help? Or is that good money after bad?

My other option is to give the bike to my 150# brother in law and save up for a new bike altogether. I still have the MTB (though the front derailleur just broke) so I won't be without a ride if I do this.

Thank you,

Ted

I was #365 when I returned to cycling after many years off the bike. I broke spokes on almost every ride, and had to true the rims almost weekly. The one thing I will say is that if you keep riding the weight will come off, I'm #260 today and looking to drop more. I would bet that you can find a strong double layer 700c rim (36H) and have it built with the strongest guage spokes they can find. You'll still break spokes and need to re-ture the wheel frequently for a while, but at some point that will begin to occur less often. Ride and enjoy. :D

A good LBS should be able to build you wheels for that bike that will handle your weight.

Breaking spokes and riding on untrue wheels is dangerous. If your LBS can't help you, shop elsewhere.

Hey there!
The best thing I did was to get wheels hand built for me by a professional wheelbuilder.
Used 36H rims, Tiagra hubs and Sapim spokes.
I weigh 280lbs, and have not had to true the wheels, and have had absolutely no problems.
What the builder did say to me was that the wheels will be as heavy as they need to be. Sage advice, though self-evident.
Good luck.
Cheers.

I have an old giant rincon MTB that I am going to get new wheels built for. I don't know if I will go for 36 spokes or 48. I guess the wheelbuilder would have an idea about that. I'm 335# right now. I was 25# heavier when I started out, but I admit I got off the bike in the fall.

I'm looking for a second bike to ride to work come march/april. I don't want to ride the MTB there, too much stuff bolted on it. I'm looking at one of these workmans industrial bicycles. I was going to order it with a 3 speed hub and possibly a front brake. They seem pretty strongly built, I'm hoping it will take the abuse of me riding it.

Thanks,

Ted

just get new wheels built. the frame and everything else should be fine. Your biggest concern is how wide of a tire can you fit on the frame but your lbs should be able to figure that out. I'm in the process of building a super commuter/touring rig and i've going with a Mavic 719 on the rear. It's a bit wider rim than a standard road rim so it can properly take a wider tire and it's a pretty stout rim.

the velocity Chukker would also be a good rim choice for you, it's similar to the velocity deep v but it's got a 24mm wide proflie rim. as a result the smallest tire you should put on it is probably a 700x32c. it also comes in 36 and 48 hole drillings. last option is to look at various 29er rims. they are also going to be much stronger rims than a std "road" rim. in case you don't know 29er is the same size as 700c it's just called a 29er as it's generally used on a 29er mtb.