Bike with full suspension & a rear rack? Know a make/model?

callagga

Mar 5, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking for a bike make/model that would have full suspension (i.e. including rear), BUT also has a robust rear carrier system?
(i.e. so it would need to have a solid bar or two coming off the frame to form the rear carrier rack no doubt, as I'm assuming it could not have a vertical support down to the rear wheel per normal due to the rear suspension)

Anyone know of one of the bike manufacturers that does such a model?

If there were multiple models that met this the ideal requirements would be:
  • Full suspension on front and back
  • Rear rack carrier (that can carry a bit of weight)
  • Disc brakes (on at least the front, but ideally on back too)
  • Usage = Road only / commuting
  • Prefer a flat-bar commuter type bike over MTB (e.g. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/....1/5332/39067/), however if a MTB frame is more easy to fit the requirements (and change the tyres to road) then that may be OK. Would also like the handlebars that just angle up a little bit, so you're not quite so bent over.

Thanks in advance

callagga said:
I'm looking for a bike make/model that would have full suspension (i.e. including rear), BUT also has a robust rear carrier system?
(i.e. so it would need to have a solid bar or two coming off the frame to form the rear carrier rack no doubt, as I'm assuming it could not have a vertical support down to the rear wheel per normal due to the rear suspension)

Anyone know of one of the bike manufacturers that does such a model?

If there were multiple models that met this the ideal requirements would be:
  • Full suspension on front and back
  • Rear rack carrier (that can carry a bit of weight)
  • Disc brakes (on at least the front, but ideally on back too)
  • Usage = Road only / commuting
  • Prefer a flat-bar commuter type bike over MTB (e.g. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/....1/5332/39067/), however if a MTB frame is more easy to fit the requirements (and change the tyres to road) then that may be OK. Would also like the handlebars that just angle up a little bit, so you're not quite so bent over.
AFAIK, the rear rack which you are hoping for does not exist for a full suspension bike because there isn't a mounting point on the "rear" of the frame ...

Regardless, a suspension is DEAD WEIGHT on a bike that will be ridden on pavement ...

Either get a Hybrid and use 700-38 or 700-42 tires ...

OR, get a 29er, and use 700-52 or 700-58 tires.

BTW. If you were to attach a rack to the rear assembly which holds the rear wheel, then your stuff would probably be bobbing excessively since you would be less inclined to avoid "bumps" in the road.

Typically, people who want to use a rear rack use one that attaches to the seat post. The carrying load, if I recall correctly, is in the 20+ lb. (10 kg) range.

An alternative to a rear suspension would be to buy a THUDBUSTER seatpost ...

OR, buy a MoPed -- that's about the ONLY two wheeled vehicle which I know of that fits your criteria.