Bike woes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Craig Brossman, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. My Ellsworth has been out of commission for 3 weeks now, and it looks like it will be a little
    longer. Once I got the rear wheel problems straightened out (new disc hubs and rim), got the new
    Avid Mech discs installed, new tires to replace the Pythons I hate except on very hard pack, rebuilt
    the AD10 for the second time (I did screw it up the first time), I come to discover that one of the
    pins on the rocker arm pivot is broke. Ellsworth tells me it is part of the rebuild kit, so I order
    it. $75 and 2 weeks later it is still on back order. Man is my ride going to be nice once I put it
    all back together!

    In the mean time, the old 970 hardtail is working out well. I'm strong enough now that a 7 speed
    cassette is sufficient, even in Durango. I've been riding it a bunch, took a business trip to
    Boulder and brought it along. I'm getting to the point where I am now dialed in and can ride it with
    confidence like the old days. It still will not be my usual ride, but I plan on a few upgrades to it
    as well once the Ells in back on its feet.

    It could be worse I guess, I could be without any bike at all.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > It could be worse I guess, I could be without any bike at all.

    This is very possibly the worst thing in the world. This is why I have 6.5 bikes.

    Andy Chequer

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > It could be worse I guess, I could be without any bike at all.
    >
    > This is very possibly the worst thing in the world. This is why I have 6.5 bikes.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    I currently have the equivalent of about 2.3 bikes - however, only one built bike, and none of the
    parts that are size specific to the other one. And worse yet? The only complete bike is a road bike.
    Ooooh, the horror!

    Jon Bond

  4. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    How do you get 6.5 bikes. I had 7 but trashed the rear wheel and frame,now its 6 plus a box of more
    parts to be put in the big tote of parts.

    Fire up MTB 03

  5. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:41:46 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> > It could be worse I guess, I could be without any bike at all.
    >>
    >> This is very possibly the worst thing in the world. This is why I have 6.5 bikes.
    >>
    >> Andy Chequer
    >
    >I currently have the equivalent of about 2.3 bikes - however, only one built bike, and none of the
    >parts that are size specific to the other one. And worse yet? The only complete bike is a road
    >bike. Ooooh, the horror!
    >
    >Jon Bond

    I'll chime in with 3.77 bikes.

    Barry

  6. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My Ellsworth has been out of commission for 3 weeks now, and it looks like it will be a little
    > longer. Once I got the rear wheel problems straightened out (new disc hubs and rim), got the new
    > Avid Mech discs installed, new tires to replace the Pythons I hate except on very hard pack,
    > rebuilt the AD10 for the second time (I did screw it up the first time), I come to discover that
    > one of the pins on the rocker arm pivot is broke. Ellsworth tells me it is part of the rebuild
    > kit, so I order it. $75 and 2 weeks later it is still on back order. Man is my ride going to be
    > nice once I put it all back together!
    >
    > In the mean time, the old 970 hardtail is working out well. I'm strong enough now that a 7 speed
    > cassette is sufficient, even in Durango.

    Sounds like you're ready to SS.

    Paladin

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Craig Brossman <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > My Ellsworth has been out of commission for 3 weeks now, and it looks like it will be a little
    > longer. Once I got the rear wheel problems straightened out (new disc hubs and rim), got the new
    > Avid Mech discs installed, new tires to replace the Pythons I hate except on very hard pack,
    > rebuilt the AD10 for the second time (I did screw it up the first time), I come to discover that
    > one of the pins on the rocker arm pivot is broke. Ellsworth tells me it is part of the rebuild
    > kit, so I order it. $75 and 2 weeks later it is still on back order. Man is my ride going to be
    > nice once I put it all back together!
    >
    > In the mean time, the old 970 hardtail is working out well. I'm strong enough now that a 7 speed
    > cassette is sufficient, even in Durango. I've been riding it a bunch, took a business trip to
    > Boulder and brought it along. I'm getting to the point where I am now dialed in and can ride it
    > with confidence like the old days. It still will not be my usual ride, but I plan on a few
    > upgrades to it as well once the Ells in back on its feet.
    >
    > It could be worse I guess, I could be without any bike at all.

    Strong enough now to use a 7 speed? hell, i have been using one of them for quite some time now, and
    i still climb hills (when i'm warmed up and at my prime) in the 3rd cog (granny is just too slow,
    and only reserved for the very steep climbs, and even then i am usually in the 2nd cog).

    Paladin <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Sounds like you're ready to SS.

    From what i have read on the gearing SS bikes use, they are too low a ratio for me to ride on hard
    flats, i'd spin out way too soon. but they are about the ratio i climb some hills in anyway. pending
    a job so i can buy a Hab disk frame, then i will convert the GT to an SS. should be a head turner as
    i have seen literally _none_ around. asked the LBS wrench and he has not heard of any in the area
    (other than kids, and BMX bikes of course). nothing like being an area trend setter, or soon to be
    anyway (hopefully).
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  8. "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Strong enough now to use a 7 speed? hell, i have been using one of them for quite some time now,
    > and i still climb hills (when i'm warmed up and at my prime) in the 3rd cog (granny is just too
    > slow, and only reserved for the very steep climbs, and even then i am usually in the 2nd cog).
    >
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Hell, when you get the gas money to make it out west, come on down. There are plenty of 2K to 4K
    climbs above 7K feet we can try those strong, young legs out on. You may may still have a couple of
    extra gears left, but you may also be scraping your lungs up off the ground.

    Me, I'm happy to he climbing anything at all and will fully admit that there are plenty that climb
    better than me ... but I'm not too bad for an old guy.
    :)
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Craig Brossman <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Strong enough now to use a 7 speed? hell, i have been using one of them for quite some time now,
    > > and i still climb hills (when i'm warmed up and at my prime) in the 3rd cog (granny is just too
    > > slow, and only reserved for the very steep climbs, and even then i am usually in the 2nd cog).
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > Hell, when you get the gas money to make it out west, come on down. There are plenty of 2K to 4K
    > climbs above 7K feet we can try those strong, young legs out on. You may may still have a couple
    > of extra gears left, but you may also be scraping your lungs up off the ground.

    Hell, at 7K feet, i think i would be gasping riding downhill ;-) besides, i didn't say i could climb
    for very long. i said a while back that i have power like a V8 with a Holley 4 barrel, and a 2
    gallon tank. good for short spurts, or maybe longer with a good warm up (i wonder why i never needed
    to warm up before), but the cardiopulmonary system is still a bit weak. been working on it, but no
    real results. anybody have any thoughts?

    > Me, I'm happy to he climbing anything at all and will fully admit that there are plenty that climb
    > better than me ... but I'm not too bad for an old guy.
    > :)

    I know there are better climbers than me. like i said above, i have power, but no stamina. it would
    no take much to beat me on a long climb. i may pull out ahead to start, but after that, i slow down
    to a gasping crawl. maybe i should take a few road rides to experience some flatter terrain where i
    can get my spin straightened out, and work on my stamina. i even have some El Cheepo tires i bought
    a while back for road riding (Duro?). only cost $25, but they have a fairly good tread for road and
    hard-pack. a bit narrow for the rims i think, but last time i rode on them, they rode much faster
    than my knobbies, though a bit sluggish feeling, but i think i may have had them under-pressurized
    for road riding. supposed to be semi-cloudy tomorrow so it may be a good day for a road ride
    assuming i can find a suitable road. i'll have to re- adjust my front derailleur so i can use the
    upper range cogs quietly (no happy middle, can only use either the lower range, or upper range
    without the chain rubbing noisily).
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  10. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > besides, i didn't say i could climb for very long. i said a while back that i have power like a V8
    > with a Holley 4 barrel, and a 2 gallon tank. good for short spurts, or maybe longer with a good
    > warm up (i wonder why i never needed to warm up before), but the cardiopulmonary system is still a
    > bit weak. been working on it, but no real results. anybody have any thoughts?

    Travis, it sounds like you are going anerobic. It happens when you really hammer up a hill or do all
    sprints. The output from your heart is such that the rate you build up lactic acid is higher than
    the rate that you metabolize it (this causes soreness) and the rate of ATP burn is higher than it
    can be replaced. When you go anerobic, you are tapping a short term energy reserve which (in most
    people) lasts 1-2 minutes. Then you run out of ATP...

    > I know there are better climbers than me. like i said above, i have power, but no stamina. it
    > would no take much to beat me on a long climb. i may pull out ahead to start, but after that, i
    > slow down to a gasping crawl. maybe i should take a few road rides to experience some flatter
    > terrain where i can get my spin straightened out, and work on my stamina.

    Bingo! I will run afoul of some of the luddites here by saying this, but you should also invest in a
    HRM. Most people overdoo sports intensity wise and underdoo it timewise, so just ignore the
    naysayers. You would need to measure your max heartrate, but the 220-Age-5(bike) thing can get you
    started. Take longer (3+ hours) rides at no more than 60-70% of your max HR. They will feel like
    going for a stroll and not doing anything real, but they are building your aerobic base. Take other
    rides 70-80% range. Do not hesitate to sit and spin and find yourself lots and lots of hills to
    climb. Try to limit 80%+ workouts to no more than once per week. Repeat. At some point, you will be
    able to guess your heart rate to within a few beats just based on how you feel (bonus, you will know
    your body better), but it takes experience.

    Let me know when you are ready to cross the Alps. It should be doable in about 4-5 days of
    hard riding.

    As to the spin, try this trick. Unclip one foot. Pedal with the other. This gives you feedback on
    smoothing your pedal stroke out. Switch feet.

    > road riding. supposed to be semi-cloudy tomorrow so it may be a good day for a road ride assuming
    > i can find a suitable road. i'll have to re- adjust my front derailleur so i can use the upper
    > range cogs quietly (no happy middle, can only use either the lower range, or upper range without
    > the chain rubbing noisily).

    Is your chainline out? What is up with your shifters?

    -Dave

  11. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Dave Stocker <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > besides, i didn't say i could climb for very long. i said a while back that i have power like a
    > > V8 with a Holley 4 barrel, and a 2 gallon tank. good for short spurts, or maybe longer with a
    > > good warm up (i wonder why i never needed to warm up before), but the cardiopulmonary system is
    > > still a bit weak. been working on it, but no real results. anybody have any thoughts?
    > >

    > Travis, it sounds like you are going anerobic. It happens when you really hammer up a hill or do
    > all sprints. The output from your heart is such that the rate you build up lactic acid is higher
    > than the rate that you metabolize it (this causes soreness) and the rate of ATP burn is higher
    > than it can be replaced. When you go anerobic, you are tapping a short term energy reserve which
    > (in most people) lasts 1-2 minutes. Then you run out of ATP...

    Hmm, that would explain it.

    > > I know there are better climbers than me. like i said above, i have power, but no stamina. it
    > > would no take much to beat me on a long climb. i may pull out ahead to start, but after that, i
    > > slow down to a gasping crawl. maybe i should take a few road rides to experience some flatter
    > > terrain where i can get my spin straightened out, and work on my stamina.
    >
    > Bingo! I will run afoul of some of the luddites here by saying this, but you should also invest in
    > a HRM. Most people overdoo sports intensity wise and underdoo it timewise, so just ignore the
    > naysayers. You would need to measure your max heartrate, but the 220-Age-5(bike) thing can get you
    > started. Take longer (3+ hours) rides at no more than 60-70% of your max HR. They will feel like
    > going for a stroll and not doing anything real, but they are building your aerobic base. Take
    > other rides 70-80% range. Do not hesitate to sit and spin and find yourself lots and lots of hills
    > to climb. Try to limit 80%+ workouts to no more than once per week. Repeat. At some point, you
    > will be able to guess your heart rate to within a few beats just based on how you feel (bonus, you
    > will know your body better), but it takes experience.

    Guess a HRM will be my next bike related purchase.

    > Let me know when you are ready to cross the Alps. It should be doable in about 4-5 days of
    > hard riding.

    I think i will wait a while for that ;-)

    > As to the spin, try this trick. Unclip one foot. Pedal with the other. This gives you feedback on
    > smoothing your pedal stroke out. Switch feet.

    I use flats so that wont really work.

    > > road riding. supposed to be semi-cloudy tomorrow so it may be a good day for a road ride
    > > assuming i can find a suitable road. i'll have to re- adjust my front derailleur so i can use
    > > the upper range cogs quietly (no happy middle, can only use either the lower range, or upper
    > > range without the chain rubbing noisily).
    >
    > Is your chainline out? What is up with your shifters?

    i don't think so, but it could be. my guess is i just have to do some fine tuning to get it to shift
    right. i only tried once, and when i finally got it just right so it would shift the full range up
    front, i decided to call it good. In after thought, i think the derailleur is set too high above the
    rings so the bump for the middle ring in the cage may be rubbing on the chain.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Strong enough now to use a 7 speed? hell, i have been using one of them for quite some time now,
    > > and i still climb hills (when i'm warmed up and at my prime) in the 3rd cog (granny is just too
    > > slow, and only reserved for the very steep climbs, and even then i am usually in the 2nd cog).

    My God! You're Superdupersuperman! What does your miscalibrated and needless bike computer tell you,
    that you climb at 40mph+?

    > Hell, when you get the gas money to make it out west, come on down. There are plenty of 2K to 4K
    > climbs above 7K feet we can try those strong, young legs out on. You may may still have a couple
    > of extra gears left, but you may also be scraping your lungs up off the ground.

    I forsee excuses and feigned wishful thinking as a follow-up to that.

    > Me, I'm happy to he climbing anything at all and will fully admit that there are plenty that climb
    > better than me ... but I'm not too bad for an old guy.
    > :)

    Nobody can climb everything.

    JD

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:

    >>> besides, i didn't say i could climb for very long. i said a while back that i have power like a
    >>> V8 with a Holley 4 barrel, and a 2 gallon tank. good for short spurts, or maybe longer with a
    >>> good warm up (i wonder why i never needed to warm up before), but the cardiopulmonary system is
    >>> still a bit weak. been working on it, but no real results. anybody have any thoughts?

    what kind of mileages are you doing these days?

    P.

  14. "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nobody can climb everything.
    >
    > JD

    Probably not, but that Sloan guy sure climbs a lot of it, and considering you ride the SS a bunch,
    so do you!

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  15. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    JD wrote:

    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Strong enough now to use a 7 speed? hell, i have been using one of them for quite some time
    > > > now, and i still climb hills (when i'm warmed up and at my prime) in the 3rd cog (granny is
    > > > just too slow, and only reserved for the very steep climbs, and even then i am usually in the
    > > > 2nd cog).
    >
    > My God! You're Superdupersuperman!

    'Und bring to de Vorld, disorder'.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    JD <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Strong enough now to use a 7 speed? hell, i have been using one of them for quite some time
    > > > now, and i still climb hills (when i'm warmed up and at my prime) in the 3rd cog (granny is
    > > > just too slow, and only reserved for the very steep climbs, and even then i am usually in the
    > > > 2nd cog).
    >
    > My God! You're Superdupersuperman! What does your miscalibrated and needless bike computer tell
    > you, that you climb at 40mph+?

    No, in the 3rd cog, i think i recall a speed of around 4 Mph (my current average climb speed is
    around 2 to 8 Mph i think). just cause i am in a high cog doesn't mean i am spinning like crazy like
    most folks. my cadence while under power is quite low, maybe 30 rpm.

    At the moment my bike computer most likely is miscalibrated as i used to run a tire pressure of 20
    psi, but i brought it up so it is no doubt reading slightly slow.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > No, in the 3rd cog, i think i recall a speed of around 4 Mph (my current average climb speed is
    > around 2 to 8 Mph i think). just cause i am in a high cog doesn't mean i am spinning like crazy
    > like most folks. my cadence while under power is quite low, maybe 30 rpm.

    And you think that's a good thing?

  18. Technician

    Technician Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > No, in the 3rd cog, i think i recall a speed of around 4 Mph (my current average climb speed is
    > > around 2 to 8 Mph i think). just cause i am in a high cog doesn't mean i am spinning like crazy
    > > like most folks. my cadence while under power is quite low, maybe 30 rpm.
    >
    > And you think that's a good thing?

    not in the least, hence why in other threads i mention that i need to work on my spin so i can pedal
    faster without getting bouncy.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  19. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician thoughtfully penned:

    > what kind of mileages are you doing these days?
    >
    > P.

    nothing spectacular. judging from the ride log on my site (forgot to add 2 rides i think), this
    month i have averaged 7 miles, with an average of
    4.7 last month. 10 - 12 miles is pretty much the limit, but that's mainly because my arse gets sore
    (along with other regional things). this seats got kind of a rubber layer on top of it so cloth
    tends to bunch up. one of these days i will either buy a new seat (that fits) or scrub the
    remaining rubber off (has slick nauga under the rubber)

    I'm gonna try a road ride today and see if with the lack of constant bumps if i can get further
    distance, and improve my spin and stamina.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    > So, two or three times a year we go out there and attach a tow rope to the Aztek and drag him up
    > out of there. We used to attach a come-along to a tree and winch him out, but really, all he needs
    > is a little extra oomph to get up the slope, so it's easier to use a second vehicle. If my mom
    > didn't freak out every time it happens, she'd be able to pull him out with their little 4WD truck.
    > As it is, though, she's worse than useless. She's convinced that the truck will roll over, or
    > shoot past the turn and into the pond, or that it will burst into flames, or that the tow strap
    > will break, and whiplash back, cutting everyone in half, like in Ghost Ship.

    Hehe - sounds like our moms are cut from the same mould!

    However, winching or pulling should be done quite carefully. When a tow line breaks (as they often
    do) it can cut right through a person. Make sure you at least throw a heavy blanket or something
    over your tow line... http://www.platypus4x4.com/safety.html

    And keep a garden hose handy in case it bursts into flames! ;)