Bike woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
bomba <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Technician wrote:
>
> >>>No, in the 3rd cog, i think i recall a speed of around 4 Mph (my current average climb speed is
> >>>around 2 to 8 Mph i think). just cause i am in a high cog doesn't mean i am spinning like crazy
> >>>like most folks. my cadence while under power is quite low, maybe 30 rpm.
> >>
> >>And you think that's a good thing?
> >>
> >
> > not in the least, hence why in other threads i mention that i need to work on my spin so i can
> > pedal faster without getting bouncy.
>
> Or, as a crazy concept, you could try not to push too high a gear. Rather than doing 30rpm in in
> 3rd, why not try a higher cadence in 1st?
>
>

Working on it. in one gear i climb at a slow cadence, but smooth (ish), but if i shift down one, the
bouncing starts. i'm heading out now to swap out the tires for the El Cheepo road ones. i figure, on
the road, it will be smooth enough and on a quiet road, non-technical enough, that i can concentrate
on my cadence and smooth spinning. just a matter of learning what muscle groups cause the bouncing
so i don't use those when they shouldn't be used.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Technician thoughtfully penned:
> Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>> Technician thoughtfully penned:
>>
>>
>>>>> besides, i didn't say i could climb for very long. i said a while back that i have power like
>>>>> a V8 with a Holley 4 barrel, and a 2 gallon tank. good for short spurts, or maybe longer with
>>>>> a good warm up (i wonder why i never needed to warm up before), but the cardiopulmonary system
>>>>> is still a bit weak. been working on it, but no real results. anybody have any thoughts?
>>>>>
>>
>> what kind of mileages are you doing these days?
>>
>> P.
>>
>>
>>
>
> nothing spectacular. judging from the ride log on my site (forgot to add 2 rides i think), this
> month i have averaged 7 miles, with an average of
> 4.7 last month. 10 - 12 miles is pretty much the limit,

I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible for
"most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.

p.

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm gonna try a road ride today and see if with the lack of constant bumps if i can get further
> distance, and improve my spin and stamina.
> --
> ~Travis
>
> http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Personally I think that is a great idea. For me (YMMV) I have found that early season rode biking
has allowed me to build my strength and stamina more quickly than mountain biking alone, at least
compared to previous years. Now that my conditioning good, I can concentrate on the technical
aspects of my ride, and pretty much have more fun doing it.

... or was it early season mtn. biking is good for my road riding?

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

Technician wrote:

>>Or, as a crazy concept, you could try not to push too high a gear. Rather than doing 30rpm in in
>>3rd, why not try a higher cadence in 1st?
>>
>
> Working on it. in one gear i climb at a slow cadence, but smooth (ish), but if i shift down one,
> the bouncing starts. i'm heading out now to swap out the tires for the El Cheepo road ones. i
> figure, on the road, it will be smooth enough and on a quiet road, non-technical enough, that i
> can concentrate on my cadence and smooth spinning. just a matter of learning what muscle groups
> cause the bouncing so i don't use those when they shouldn't be used.

If you're bouncing, you're putting too much pressure on the down stroke and only a short part of
that. Keep your upper body still and try to pedal in circles.

As an exercise, pivot your foot slightly around your ankle, so that as your pedal comes over the top
your toes are pointing slightly upwards. As the pedal moves through the stroke point bring your toes
down slightly so as the pedal is below 9 o'clock you're pushing it back slightly. Feels weird, but
will hopefully get the circular motion you're looking for.

Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Technician thoughtfully penned:
> > Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> >> Technician thoughtfully penned:
> >>
> >>
> >>>>> besides, i didn't say i could climb for very long. i said a while back that i have power
> >>>>> like a V8 with a Holley 4 barrel, and a 2 gallon tank. good for short spurts, or maybe
> >>>>> longer with a good warm up (i wonder why i never needed to warm up before), but the
> >>>>> cardiopulmonary system is still a bit weak. been working on it, but no real results. anybody
> >>>>> have any thoughts?
> >>>>>
> >>
> >> what kind of mileages are you doing these days?
> >>
> >> P.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > nothing spectacular. judging from the ride log on my site (forgot to add 2 rides i think), this
> > month i have averaged 7 miles, with an average of
> > 4.7 last month. 10 - 12 miles is pretty much the limit,
>
>
> I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible for
> "most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
>
> p.
>
>
>

I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area aside
from the rail trail.
--
~Travis

>>> nothing spectacular. judging from the ride log on my site (forgot to add 2 rides i think), this
>>> month i have averaged 7 miles, with an average of
>>> 4.7 last month. 10 - 12 miles is pretty much the limit,
>>
>>
>> I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible for
>> "most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
>>
>> p.
>>
>>
>>
>
> I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area aside
> from the rail trail.

An average of seven miles a month, amazing what you can do when you get away from your computer.

p.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How do you get 6.5 bikes. I had 7 but trashed the rear wheel and frame,now its 6
> plus a box of more parts to be put in the big tote of parts.
>
> Fire up MTB 03

I've got a minibike. It has 8" wheels. It's got a Girvin Flexstem and a roadie chainring.

Actually, I only own half of it, so maybe that should be 6.25 bikes.

Technician wrote:
>
>>I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible for
>>"most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
>>
>>p.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area aside
> from the rail trail.

If they're really gnarly and vertical, 7 miles can make a decent workout. The Bonneville Shoreline
trail along the foothills of downtown SLC is about 8 miles usually takes me a little over an hour.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Raptor thoughtfully penned:
> Technician wrote:
>> Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>>
>>> I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible for
>>> "most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
>>>
>>> p.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area aside
>> from the rail trail.
>
> If they're really gnarly and vertical, 7 miles can make a decent workout. The Bonneville Shoreline
> trail along the foothills of downtown SLC is about 8 miles usually takes me a little over an hour.
>

I hope you get out and ride more than once a month... that's what I'm getting after. 7 miles average
a month?! ( a poorly written sentence started it all)

P.

> Raptor thoughtfully penned:
> > Technician wrote:
> >> Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> >>
> >>> I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible
> >>> for "most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
> >>>
> >>> p.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >> I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area
> >> aside from the rail trail.
> >
> > If they're really gnarly and vertical, 7 miles can make a decent workout. The Bonneville
> > Shoreline trail along the foothills of downtown SLC is about 8 miles usually takes me a little
> > over an hour.
> >
>
> I hope you get out and ride more than once a month... that's what I'm getting after. 7 miles
> average a month?! ( a poorly written sentence started it all)
>
> P.
>
>
>

Penny, Penny, Penny... 7 miles is the average _length_ of the rides within said month ( there, is
that better :p ).
--
~Travis

>> Raptor thoughtfully penned:
>>> Technician wrote:
>>>> Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>>>>
>>>>> I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible
>>>>> for "most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
>>>>>
>>>>> p.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area
>>>> aside from the rail trail.
>>>
>>> If they're really gnarly and vertical, 7 miles can make a decent workout. The Bonneville
>>> Shoreline trail along the foothills of downtown SLC is about 8 miles usually takes me a little
>>> over an hour.
>>>
>>
>> I hope you get out and ride more than once a month... that's what I'm getting after. 7 miles
>> average a month?! ( a poorly written sentence started it all)
>>
>> P.
>>
>>
>>
>
> Penny, Penny, Penny... 7 miles is the average _length_ of the rides within said month ( there, is
> that better :p ).

yes but how many times a month are you getting out? At one point you said you could only ride 4
miles at time and that you spent 12 hours a day at your computer...

p.

> Technician thoughtfully penned:
> > Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> >> Raptor thoughtfully penned:
> >>> Technician wrote:
> >>>> Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> >>>>
> >>>>> I"m reading that as 7 miles **this month** that can't be right, that would make you eligible
> >>>>> for "most pathetic mileages from someone with out a real reason" post of the month.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> p.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> I said average, not total. and yes, it is still pathetic. no real long trails in this area
> >>>> aside from the rail trail.
> >>>
> >>> If they're really gnarly and vertical, 7 miles can make a decent workout. The Bonneville
> >>> Shoreline trail along the foothills of downtown SLC is about 8 miles usually takes me a little
> >>> over an hour.
> >>>
> >>
> >> I hope you get out and ride more than once a month... that's what I'm getting after. 7 miles
> >> average a month?! ( a poorly written sentence started it all)
> >>
> >> P.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Penny, Penny, Penny... 7 miles is the average _length_ of the rides within said month ( there,
> > is that better :p ).
>
> yes but how many times a month are you getting out? At one point you said you could only ride 4
> miles at time and that you spent 12 hours a day at your computer...
>
> p.
>
>
>

at that time perhaps. i try and ride at least once a day, weather permitting. that ride could be 1
mile, or it could be 12 miles. it all depends on my level of energy that day. in reality, i think i
get out on average about 2 or 3 times a week, given the weather lately. the first day of rail, the
trails are still ridable, but after it continues for a while then it takes a good 2 days of sun to
get them back. i usually end up riding loops around a 1 mile trail that happens to have a base of
wood chips (doesn't rut up when wet) when the trails are drying out.
--
~Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.