Bike worth twice as much as your car?

Madd Dogg

Nov 26, 2005
Until last week I was a PROUD member of the "bike worth twice as much as my car" club. I wish I was still a member. Whole chain of events led to this. I wanted to transport two bikes inside my car, a 1991 Mitsubishi Montero. Pay attention as there will be a test question to follow. Two weeks ago I heard that the Nissan X terra had an interior bike rack. I called the dealer to asked the dimensions and the availabilty of the bike rack. Yes there is an interior bike rack, no my bike won't fit unless I lower the seat. I ride a road bike with no quick release seat post so this is not convenient. After last Sundays ride, I went to the bike store to get two fork holders. I asked the clerk if I could take it to my car to see if it would work. I folded the rear seat up placed the fork holder on the seat rail and POW! The thing was perfect. Two bikes and no seat post lowering. I was so excited that my riding partner (drives a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with two fork holders front of the bed) no longer had to do all the driving (he's English and a lousy driver anyway) to the centuries and rides that I left the bike store and forgot my front wheel in the parking lot ($#@!). It went back but it was gone ($@-*#!). I installed the fork holders and bid on replacement wheels on ebay and lost because my friend called with some emergency while I was watching the end of the auction. I'm ****** but I'm going to take my medicine. I go get a matching wheelset at the bike store (notice I said set). the Nissan dealer called as I was leaving the bike shop and FORCED me to come by and look at the Xterra. The salesman that I spoke to is on the lot and INSISTS that I take a test drive. Next thing you know I'm rolling out in a brand new Nissan X terra that my bike won't fit in standing up. I order roof racks. Losing that wheel has cost me @ $27,000.00!

PS: The XTerra is so cool!(Night Armor)
PS: Mitsubishi Montero for Sale $2000.00 5-speed, sunroof, cold A.C., interior road bike forks. 130k miles. Squeaks. Runs great. Great Visability from the driving position. 4-Wheel drive. green with tan interior.

NOT FOR SALE: Seven Alaris with FSA bars and post. Fizik seat. Velomax vista wheels. Michelin 4000 tires. Ultegra 9. Polar bike computer.

test question: What do you drive?

First of all, I'm also English but I'm not that bad of a Driver, I'm used to driving on the wrong side of the road now :eek: Plus, I've never had an accident (I've caused hundreds)...

But anyway, I drive a Jaguar XJR, I use a Saris Bones Rack (they're brilliant) my wife's little 47 cm Cannondale fits in the Trunk when I take both wheels off...(I haven't tried my 58 yet)

I am seriously thinking of buying a Toaster (Scion Xb), in fact, I even went to the Dealership and tried my Bike in it, same as you, the saddle was too high, but a QR would fix that, but I could bolt a couple of Front Fork Holders to the top rear of the back seats for when they're folded flat forward and it would work....I have all kinds of access to CNC machines so I could even make them...piece of cake really...I'd also make them to look like they belong there (Polished aluminum or powder coated or whatever)...
The Toaster would be ideal as a work Car, taking the Bike/s places etc .

The only problem is, you can't leave a CF Bike in a hot Car all Day...it ruins them :mad:

So how's the Xterra? They look pretty cool!!

Hey Madd Dogg,

I own an Xterra (not an X Terra, LOL, sorry, just giving you some ****). I also have the interior rack you are talking about. I have not problems fitting my Mt/Road bike in, but as you said do have to lower the seats. In fact with my Road Bike I have to take the seat and post off. I do have the quick release so it is not a big deal though (I just mark the post to the correct height). Yeah it is a pain, but I feel it is not much differnt than having to take the front wheel off.

One of the reasons I like it is that when I travel with my bike, it is all inside the X and I don't have to worry about things you would if it were on an outside rack (such as wind, someone trying to take something off of it though some racks do come with locks that might be just as effective). My wife and I will take our Mt Bikes up to Sedona and we just leave them inside overnight. Though Sedona is safe, there are other areas that I would not leave them in there.

Hope you like your X as much as I do. Night Armor is a cool color.

Yzerman

I have a 1982 BMW Sedan. I have got no idea what number it is. You know, 3-- i or something of that sort. My bike is easily worth *triple* the value of this car, if not quadruple.

No, I am not proud of that.

i can understand why you need night armour in LA but why would you need 4WD? are the streets not paved?

i drive a Ford Focus right now...(yawn) seats 4 people in comfort - good mpg..

i change my car all the time. Use to have an EVO8. Sits 2 people comfortably 4 uncumfortably....really bad mpg and dont try to insure it...good at the traffic lights with a Carrera or Ferrari looking over at you.

Madd Dogg said:
PS: The XTerra is so cool!(Night Armor)

MountainPro said:
i can understand why you need night armour in LA but why would you need 4WD? are the streets not paved?

i drive a Ford Focus right now...(yawn) seats 4 people in comfort - good mpg..

i change my car all the time. Use to have an EVO8. Sits 2 people comfortably 4 uncumfortably....really bad mpg and dont try to insure it...good at the traffic lights with a Carrera or Ferrari looking over at you.
The Xterra is avaiable in 2WD. "Night Armor" is the color of the vehicle. 4WD is needed in LA to drive over the curb to get to the good parking spaces at certain Starbukcs. The streets ARE paved with the bones of film craft workers that have been chewed up and spit out by the Studios.

good answer...

actually i have been to LA and Hollywood (well, universal studios as a tourist)...those curbs are high indeed...!

Madd Dogg said:
The Xterra is avaiable in 2WD. "Night Armor" is the color of the vehicle. 4WD is needed in LA to drive over the curb to get to the good parking spaces at certain Starbukcs. The streets ARE paved with the bones of film craft workers that have been chewed up and spit out by the Studios.

When I went to buy a new(er) commuter vehicle last summer, my first critera was - I had to be able to lay my bike in the back without taking the wheels off.

Ended up with a 2001 Mercury Sable wagon. 26mpg on the highway, and with the rear seats folded, my bike lays in the back perfectly. Safe, dry, locked up. Ah, now that's luxury...

Madd Dogg said:
test question: What do you drive?
I'm driving a G-reg Rover 214 SLi with 197,000 miles on the clock. That Honda engine just keeps on going, and I'm still getting good mpg.

I'd say it's worth about 10% of the value of my "nice" bike, half the value of most of my other bikes, and about the same as my old trike. Sweet.

I can fit two bikes inside with the seats down, two on the roofrack, and three on the back with a rack. And I have done. :D

If you want to get up kerbs, try riding the bike instead of carrying it around in the back. :p

Wheelist

its a sad world when your bike is worth more than your car...no way would i let that happen.

i did spend a few hundred grand on a house however, right next to river cycleways all round my city. and refuse to move anywhere else as its too far to get onto my bike route!! :)

Ricardo29 said:
its a sad world when your bike is worth more than your car...no way would i let that happen.

i did spend a few hundred grand on a house however, right next to river cycleways all round my city. and refuse to move anywhere else as its too far to get onto my bike route!! :)
It's a sad world when someone thinks it's a sad world when your bike is worth less than your car.

Which provides the most pleasure? Which causes the most problems?

My bike is worth much more than my car - it's the way it should be. :D

I do not have a car, so my bike is wroth an infinite amount more than my car.

Pete

:confused:
Jaguar27 said:
The only problem is, you can't leave a CF Bike in a hot Car all Day...it ruins them :mad:
This one, I've heard for the first time. May I ask how come?

My bike is worth more then my car for the time being (I drive a 1931 Chevy 1-1/2 ton truck). My problem is that my car is so old that it is escallating in value so I havae to keep on buying new bikes to stay ahead.

wheelist said:
It's a sad world when someone thinks it's a sad world when your bike is worth less than your car.

Which provides the most pleasure? Which causes the most problems?

My bike is worth much more than my car - it's the way it should be. :D
Well my cars worth is now more than my bike but no car will ever be as valuable.

netscriber said:
:confused:
This one, I've heard for the first time. May I ask how come?

Yes, it's not good to leave a Carbon Frame in a hot Car, I have a six13 "Care for your Frame" pdf, and briefly, it says "Protect your six13 from temp extremes when storing or Transporting it..."

"Allow your six13 to cool down or heat up before riding it"

"Do not leave your Six13 in a hot car in desert sun..." etc etc...

If you pm your e-mail addy to me I'll send the Care and Maintenance pdf to you...I guess this would apply to all CF Frames??

Well, I am close to even, bike is still worth more.
'92 corolla and Caad 5 with 9sp Dura Ace.

dw_moto said:
My bike is worth more then my car for the time being (I drive a 1931 Chevy 1-1/2 ton truck). My problem is that my car is so old that it is escallating in value so I havae to keep on buying new bikes to stay ahead.
wow, 1931. You should clean it up, maybe restore it and it will be worth $$