Bikeability Toolkit

Peter McCallum

Guest
The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

Peter McCallum wrote:

> The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
> tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
> review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
> bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.
>
> http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I like the concept of a "utility cyclist" in contrast to a commuter...

Tam

Intresting, might take it on for my local area. (although the inner west Melb seems to be catered well for cyclists generally, but there's always room for improvment eh?)

Marx SS said:
Intresting, might take it on for my local area. (although the inner west Melb seems to be catered well for cyclists generally, but there's always room for improvment eh?)
Racecourse road could do with some improvement: No curb access to the moonee ponds drai... err... creek on one side; a dodgy now you see it, now you don't 'bike lane'; the road is poorly policed and the drivers some of the worst I've seen; the council ignores requests to fix the grates covering some of the drains (they've moved across just enough for a road bike wheel to get caught in them) and they are too heavy to shift myself...

Other than that though, I agree that we are pretty spoilt in the inner west for bikeability :)

ali

On 2005-07-27, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> Peter McCallum wrote:
>> http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

> I like the concept of a "utility cyclist" in contrast to a commuter...

Now I've got the concept of a V8 ute bike in my head. 4 people on a
tandem going "budubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubu".

--
TimC
"This thesis brought to you by the letter tau" -- TimC

TimC wrote:
> On 2005-07-27, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
>
>>Peter McCallum wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

>>I like the concept of a "utility cyclist" in contrast to a commuter...

> Now I've got the concept of a V8 ute bike in my head. 4 people on a
> tandem going "budubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubudubu".

I had similar thoughts but I imagined a cement mixer or a few bales of
hay in the back.

Zoom

Peter McCallum said:
The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I'd strongly suggest subscribing to the bfa-oz list to read further comments:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/bfa-oz

An extract of Michael Yeates comments,
http://www.yeatesit.biz/

".....Recently the following observation was made in regard to guideline C1 produced by QT ...

(Quote)Yet again a document that has no relevance for fast moving road bikes. The needs of these riders are almost always submerged in a push to get people off roads and on to shared facilities.

This seems to reflect a general reluctance (by both bureaucrats and cycling group representatives) to deal with the fact that many cyclists are travelling quite easily and comfortably at speeds > 25km/h ... and the best place for that is "on the road" ...!

This speed advantage is one of the reasons cycling is a useful mode of transport but it must be able to be maintained. For example once on a path, what should be the waiting time at traffic lights at the road crossings and if no traffic lights, should cyclists be given priority ie "right of way" at all or most crossings? This is part of the concept of "continuity" as road crossings are (generally) accepted as the most dangerous and most delaying part of a bike path trip ie they are not able to be excluded from the continuity criteria....."

Peter McCallum said:
The Bicycle Federation Australia list reports today that there is a new
tool available for advocates, engineers or anone else wanting to do a
review (quick and dirty or detailed) of a bike route, local area or
bike plan. I've only had a brief look but it seems to be quite useful.

http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

why is cycling in Oz divided amongst SO many different 'bodies' (dont answer that!)

that's been about for near 2 years now...

flyingdutch said:
why is cycling in Oz divided amongst SO many different 'bodies' (dont answer that!)

Short answer: It's like herding cats. Long answer: Buy me a slab o' Goat Hightail.

flyingdutch said:
that's been about for near 2 years now...

Nope, it's being going on much much longer.