bikeathalon! riding and turkey shooting

Andy Gee

Guest
I finally shot the turkey, and from my bike, no less. Someone call ESPN2,
we may have a new sport here.

The very tip of Manhattan has four facilities next to each other: The old
Governers Island ferry, the huge new Staten Island Ferry terminal, the
Homeland Security (formerly the Coast Guard) station, and the Battery Grill
restaurant. Between those last three is a small employee parking lot, and
every once in a while there's a large turkey wandering around between the
cars and Battery Park. It's some exotic breed, shiny black feathers. I
have no idea where it's supposed to live.

Anyway, this time I actually had a camera with me and managed to shoot the
bird. This is not the first time I've encountered wildlife at the
periphery of human / natural environments. There're no footfalls with a
bike, it's silent, it tends not to spook the critters. Is there any
material about successfull wildlife photography by bicycle?

Pictures of the turkey, when I get the film (yes, actual paper and chemical
film) will be on my graffiti blog (www.graffitirider.blogspot.com) when
they're developed.

--ag

Andy Gee wrote:

> I finally shot the turkey

Family newsgroup, buddy!

Let us know when the pics are up; we'll all take a...gander!

Bill "can you tell I need a ride?" S.

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Andy Gee wrote:
>
>> I finally shot the turkey

>Family newsgroup, buddy!
>
>Let us know when the pics are up; we'll all take a...gander!

D'Oh...

A semi-related note... I was recently in the NYC area, and made a trip
down to assist with the closing of my mother-in-law's house (in
Neptune New Jersey). It's in the middle of the state, near the ocean.

We were standing around outside, looked up and saw a bald eagle
circling overhead. Very impressive!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Andy Gee wrote:
>>
>>> I finally shot the turkey

>>Family newsgroup, buddy!
>>
>>Let us know when the pics are up; we'll all take a...gander!

> D'Oh...
>
> A semi-related note... I was recently in the NYC area, and made a trip
> down to assist with the closing of my mother-in-law's house (in
> Neptune New Jersey). It's in the middle of the state, near the ocean.
>
> We were standing around outside, looked up and saw a bald eagle
> circling overhead. Very impressive!
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

yeah, they're back -- funny what happens if you stop shooting them and
give them a little clean air. We have a perregrine falcon breeding pair
here right outside my Manhattan apartment (Stuyvesant Town - A Park Runs
Through It TM)

--ag