Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

bikeE: cheap trunk rack that doesn't suck?

Started by Laurel Thomason · · Last activity · 5 posts · 802 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
1 April 2004
Last activity
4 April 2004
Original author
Laurel Thomason
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
802
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    Just looking for recommendations for a cheap trunk rack that
    will hold a BikeE securely and not sway too much. That may
    be an impossible request. Does anyone have any experience
    with the following:

    Sportrack: nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    71&subcategory=1021&brand=&sku=8768&storetype=&estoreid-
    =&pagename=

    Hollywood:

    nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    1021&brand=&sku=4840&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Both of these are in the "trunk rack" section of the Nashbar
    website. Many thanks.

  2. "Laurel Thomason" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Just looking for recommendations for a cheap trunk rack
    that will hold a BikeE securely and not sway too much.
    That may be an impossible request.

    I don't know if they're available from any sources any more,
    but BikeE made "accessory" mounts. These are clamps that
    slide over the beam and tighten by quick release levers.
    With a little ingenuity, I guess you could make facsimiles
    if the clamps are no longer available.

    Attach two of these to a plastic storage box, and you'll
    have a cheap, waterproof trunk. I used a 20 liter box with
    my BikeE. I reinforced the bottom of the box with a piece of
    melamine and it has lasted 6 years.

    Jon Meinecke

  3. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any experience with the following:

    Sportrack:


    nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    1021&brand=&sku=8768

    Quoted message said:


    Hollywood:


    nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    1021&brand=&sku=4840

    My wife used to put her BikeE on the back of her beat-up old
    Volvo station-wagon with an equally beat-up old trunk rack
    from Sears that looked very much like the "Hollywood" unit.
    The rack was sturdy enough in the vertical plane, and she
    braced it horizontally with a handful of bungees.

  4. Sorry, I was unclear. I meant a trunk rack for a volkswagen
    golf that will hold my BikeE securely without too much sway,
    and not cost a fortune. It's been discussed, but I'm
    particularly curious about the two "smooth bar" racks
    offered by Nashbar right now, One by hollywood and the other
    by SportRack.

    My bad.

    Your suggestion, however, sounds pretty cool, but I am 6'7
    and have no exposed frame behind my seat.

    "Jon Meinecke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know if they're available from any sources any
    more, but BikeE made "accessory" mounts. These are clamps
    that slide over the beam and tighten by quick release
    levers. With a little ingenuity, I guess you could make
    facsimiles if the clamps are no longer available.

    Attach two of these to a plastic storage box, and you'll
    have a cheap, waterproof trunk. I used a 20 liter box with
    my BikeE. I reinforced the bottom of the box with a piece
    of melamine and it has lasted 6 years.

    Jon Meinecke

  5. "Laurel Thomason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    Just looking for recommendations for a cheap trunk rack
    that will hold a BikeE securely and not sway too much.
    That may be an impossible request. Does anyone have any
    experience with the following:

    Sportrack:


    nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    1021&brand=&sku=8768&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Quoted message said:


    Hollywood:


    nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    1021&brand=&sku=4840&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Quoted message said:


    Both of these are in the "trunk rack" section of the
    Nashbar website. Many thanks.

    I have a Rhode Gear trunk rack similar to the ones you
    linked to here. I've used it to transport both lwb and swb
    bikes for long distances as well as short hops on a great
    variety of vehicles with no problems at all. My guess is
    that it would work with a Bike E. One of my lwb bikes had to
    be carried upside down, but it works perfectly. Some
    experimentation maybe needed. I've used my trunk rack for
    years and found it very versatile.

    My advice is to go to a bike shop and see how the rack works
    on your car with your bike. That's what I did.

    skip

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.