bikeE: cheap trunk rack that doesn't suck?

Laurel Thomason

Guest
Hi,

Just looking for recommendations for a cheap trunk rack that
will hold a BikeE securely and not sway too much. That may
be an impossible request. Does anyone have any experience
with the following:

Sportrack: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=-
71&subcategory=1021&brand=&sku=8768&storetype=&estoreid-
=&pagename=

Hollywood:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=71&subcategory=-
1021&brand=&sku=4840&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Both of these are in the "trunk rack" section of the Nashbar
website. Many thanks.

"Laurel Thomason" <[email protected]> wrote

> Just looking for recommendations for a cheap trunk rack
> that will hold a BikeE securely and not sway too much.
> That may be an impossible request.

I don't know if they're available from any sources any more,
but BikeE made "accessory" mounts. These are clamps that
slide over the beam and tighten by quick release levers.
With a little ingenuity, I guess you could make facsimiles
if the clamps are no longer available.

Attach two of these to a plastic storage box, and you'll
have a cheap, waterproof trunk. I used a 20 liter box with
my BikeE. I reinforced the bottom of the box with a piece of
melamine and it has lasted 6 years.

Jon Meinecke

> Does anyone have any experience with the following:
>
> Sportrack:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=71&subcategory=-
1021&brand=&sku=8768

> Hollywood:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=71&subcategory=-
1021&brand=&sku=4840

My wife used to put her BikeE on the back of her beat-up old
Volvo station-wagon with an equally beat-up old trunk rack
from Sears that looked very much like the "Hollywood" unit.
The rack was sturdy enough in the vertical plane, and she
braced it horizontally with a handful of bungees.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant a trunk rack for a volkswagen
golf that will hold my BikeE securely without too much sway,
and not cost a fortune. It's been discussed, but I'm
particularly curious about the two "smooth bar" racks
offered by Nashbar right now, One by hollywood and the other
by SportRack.

My bad.

Your suggestion, however, sounds pretty cool, but I am 6'7
and have no exposed frame behind my seat.

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<-
[email protected]>...
> I don't know if they're available from any sources any
> more, but BikeE made "accessory" mounts. These are clamps
> that slide over the beam and tighten by quick release
> levers. With a little ingenuity, I guess you could make
> facsimiles if the clamps are no longer available.
>
> Attach two of these to a plastic storage box, and you'll
> have a cheap, waterproof trunk. I used a 20 liter box with
> my BikeE. I reinforced the bottom of the box with a piece
> of melamine and it has lasted 6 years.
>
> Jon Meinecke

"Laurel Thomason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Just looking for recommendations for a cheap trunk rack
> that will hold a BikeE securely and not sway too much.
> That may be an impossible request. Does anyone have any
> experience with the following:
>
> Sportrack:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=71&subcategory=-
1021&brand=&sku=8768&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

> Hollywood:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=71&subcategory=-
1021&brand=&sku=4840&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

> Both of these are in the "trunk rack" section of the
> Nashbar website. Many thanks.

I have a Rhode Gear trunk rack similar to the ones you
linked to here. I've used it to transport both lwb and swb
bikes for long distances as well as short hops on a great
variety of vehicles with no problems at all. My guess is
that it would work with a Bike E. One of my lwb bikes had to
be carried upside down, but it works perfectly. Some
experimentation maybe needed. I've used my trunk rack for
years and found it very versatile.

My advice is to go to a bike shop and see how the rack works
on your car with your bike. That's what I did.

skip