BikeE Recall

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dave Clary, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too good (breaking seats). I've seen
    some notices about some CTs selling for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should I believe
    that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?

    One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will have
    no warranty.

    Thanks,

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:33:56 GMT, Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote:
    >One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will have
    >no warranty.

    The hub is made by SRAM which is still around, and used by many bike manufacturers. I've been told
    that they are "bulletproof" - I've owned a couple of bikes with this hub and haven't had any
    problems. Even if it breaks and cannot be repaired, you can replace it with a standard hub or with
    the updated version of this hub (SRAM DualDrive).

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too good (breaking seats). I've
    > seen some notices about some CTs selling for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should I
    > believe that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?
    >
    > One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will
    > have no warranty.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    > Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

    The breakage that I know about, involved the little plastic disk-thingies between the seat bracket
    and the frame rail. Keyrings were put over the discs to keep them from cracking. I have read of the
    metal seat frame cracking, but I think that was on older models. Somebody will come along soon to
    correct me if I am mistaken . (^: The 3-speed hub would not concern me, I think they are SRAM, and
    that company is going well and that is probably who you would contact for parts, etc. Why a BikeE,
    if you are concerned about this stuff? There are many other manufacturers that are still in
    business,including one called the P-38 (^:

    -- Rorschandt <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected][127.0.0.1]"

  4. The BikeE recall applies only to the sweet seat. Late model CTs use the comfort seat, which was
    never subject to a recall (at least to the best of my knowledge, as the lawyers say). See the
    differences here: http://www.simplecom.net/poleary/seats.htm

    BTW, anyone selling you a "new" older model CT (with a sweet seat) should be providing replacement
    sliders that "fixed" the recall issue. Note also, however, that some sweet seats have support welds
    that are prone to breakage and should be fixed even though never part of a recall. More info here:
    http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/bikeeparts.html#seat

    3-speed hubs (internal gear-hubs in general) have been around for decades. I look forward to the
    opinions you get on this matter...I find them to be generally reliable and maintenance free. IMHO,
    the SRAM hub will probably outlast the somewhat-average derailleur that they have attached to it.

    Regards, Craig

    "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too good (breaking seats). I've
    > seen some notices about some CTs selling for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should I
    > believe that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?
    >
    > One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will
    > have no warranty.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    > Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  5. Skip

    Skip Guest

    I can't help but wonder if you liked the P-38 you had for so long if you will be happy with a Bike
    E. A used Rocket would be a couple hundred bucks more an might prove to be much more to your liking
    over the long haul. It would be more P-38 like than a Bike E.

    But to answer your question about the three speed - I assume it is the 7x3 unit. The one I have is
    about 8 years old and has been ridden a bunch in the rain and some off road in sand. Nary a problem.
    I've got a S-A three speed on a Raleigh Twenty from the 70's and it still works fine.

    "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too good (breaking seats). I've
    > seen some notices about some CTs selling for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should I
    > believe that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?
    >
    > One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will
    > have no warranty.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    > Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  6. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    The newer BikeEs used the SRAM Dual Drive which I know nothing about. But the SRAM 3x7 on the earlier models i very reliable.

    Buy extra indicator chains and keep them on hand. They can be very hard to find in just anywhere.

  7. I think Dave explained in an earlier post why he was moving to a CLWB. I don't recall the details
    (yes, I'm old), but it seemed valid enough at the time. :)

    A late model CT should have the SRAM "DualDrive" 8x3. Slightly older models will have the SRAM
    "Spectro" 7x3. Between the wife and I, we have one each in my family. There's very little difference
    between them, but I do think the shifters are slightly improved with the DualDrive.

    Couldn't agree with you more about the benefits of riding what you're happy with. Fortunately for
    me, all my friends ride bikes from WalMart, so my CT looks pretty darned good. Still, it's not the
    fully-suspended USS SWB that I _really_ want, and maybe someday I'll fix that.

    I'm glad I didn't pay $695 for it (and probably would not have), but I do like that new bike smell.
    Used bikes are (IMHO) a risky business unless you're a qualified mechanic and get to perform a good
    inspection before you buy.

    About the only aspect of the CT that I'm unhappy with is the brakes. Qualifying statement: I'm old,
    and nobody would call me a serious athlete. Given a small hill (about all we have in N. Texas), or a
    good tailwind, the CT makes 25-mph, and the stock brakes just won't reel that in any time soon. I
    hear better brakes are available that fit...anybody know what those would be?

    Thanks, Craig

    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I can't help but wonder if you liked the P-38 you had for so long if you will be happy with a Bike
    > E. A used Rocket would be a couple hundred
    bucks
    > more an might prove to be much more to your liking over the long haul. It would be more P-38 like
    > than a Bike E.
    >
    > But to answer your question about the three speed - I assume it is the 7x3 unit. The one I have is
    > about 8 years old and has been ridden a bunch in the rain and some off road in sand. Nary a
    > problem. I've got a S-A three speed on a Raleigh Twenty from the 70's and it still works fine.
    >
    > "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too good (breaking seats). I've
    > > seen some notices about some CTs selling for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should
    > > I believe that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?
    > >
    > > One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will
    > > have no warranty.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    > > Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  8. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:20:27 -0500, "AboutHalfBent" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think Dave explained in an earlier post why he was moving to a CLWB. I don't recall the details
    >(yes, I'm old), but it seemed valid enough at the time. :)

    Yep, sure did. I just need something that will get me through a six mile ride around my neighborhood
    for a little exercise. I want the low BB so I don't have to mess with cycling shoes. Just looking to
    burn a few calories.

    Also as I stated earlier, I've never been a fan of a BikeE's appearance. I'd rather have an EZ1 but
    if I can save a couple hundred bucks, I may go that way.

    All this goes out the window if I hit the lottery--then it's a TI Rush!!! :)

    Thanks to everyone for the good info!!

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  9. Paul Milner

    Paul Milner Guest

    Dave Clary <[email protected]m> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I ran across an article on the BikeE recall and it didn't sound too good (breaking seats). I've
    > seen some notices about some CTs selling for $369 and they state they are "post recall." Should I
    > believe that? Did BikeE fix the problem before they went belly up?
    >
    > One other question. How reliable is the 3-speed hub? Another factor in buying a bike that will
    > have no warranty.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Texas P-38 Squadron (Retired) Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
    > Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

    I have repaired several broken stays on the BikeE SweetSeats. I talked with BikeE(when still in
    business) and received permission(verbal) to put some brass filler on the breaks. Looks kinda nasty
    but holds well. Paul Milner TE Clone Welder/Machinist Backyard Aerodynamicist(Boomerang Maker)