BikeE swingarm needed

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ed Heller, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Ed Heller

    Ed Heller Guest

    I have a 98 BikeE AT XL that I'm going to have to scrap if I can't find a replacement swingarm. The
    cross tube where the shock mounts are located is ripping apart. I talked to a welder and was told it
    could not be repaired. Any help locating a replacement will be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thanks, Ed [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    I have a Bike AT that I use as a daily commuter. I have a couple of questions. Can you guess why the
    swing arm is falling apart on your bike? I'm fairly heavy (220 lb) and ride pothole strewn streets
    daily so I am concerned I will see this problem also. Also did the welder give a reason he couldn't
    fix the swingarm? It seems like a fairily simple construction to me. You may want to get a second
    opinion from a welding and fabricating shop. Craig

    "Ed Heller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a 98 BikeE AT XL that I'm going to have to scrap if I can't find a replacement swingarm.
    > The cross tube where the shock mounts are located is ripping apart. I talked to a welder and was
    > told it could not be repaired. Any help locating a replacement will be GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Ed [email protected]

  3. "Ed Heller" skrev ...
    > I have a 98 BikeE AT XL that I'm going to have to scrap if I can't find a replacement swingarm.
    > The cross tube where the shock mounts are located is ripping apart. I talked to a welder and was
    > told it could not be repaired. Any help locating a replacement will be GREATLY appreciated.

    Maybe here but I guess you'll have to give them a call or email.
    http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/bikeeparts.html

    Good luck

    Mikael

  4. Ed Heller

    Ed Heller Guest

    "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Bike AT that I use as a daily commuter. I have a couple of questions. Can you guess why
    > the swing arm is falling apart on your bike? I'm fairly heavy (220 lb) and ride pothole strewn
    > streets daily so I am concerned I will see this problem also. Also did the welder give a reason he
    > couldn't fix the swingarm? It seems like a fairily simple construction to me. You may want to get
    > a second opinion from a welding and fabricating shop. Craig
    The 98 model is the first year for the AT and it is known to have problems in this area. Newer
    models may be heavier duty. My bike has been my sole transportation for 2.5 years with about 100
    miles a week. I also have two racks and 4 bags and I'm always hauling stuff. Its not unusual for me
    to haul 40 pounds worth of groceries/camping gear/etc. Probably more stress than average.

    The swingarm is CroMo and no one on the island of Maui has the equipment to work on it. I'm sure
    someone on the mainland could do it, with incured shipping charges both ways, and I may end up doing
    that. It would be quicker just to get a replacement.