Bikefest in Trafalgar Square

John Hearns

Guest
Just setting out for Bikefest in Trafalgar Square.
If anyone spots me, I'm riding the red+white Claude Butler.

I may experiment with the Dark Side and have a tryout of
a recumbent. Hope there is a Kettweisel to try.

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Just setting out for Bikefest in Trafalgar Square.
> If anyone spots me, I'm riding the red+white Claude Butler.
>
> I may experiment with the Dark Side and have a tryout of
> a recumbent. Hope there is a Kettweisel to try.

Thanks for the heads up .. will jump on my bike too. Yellow Kona.

Wonderful, wasn't it?

A BikeFest without bicycles, as decided by our 'Cycling Centre of
Excellence' expert (sic) Rose Ades.
Bicycles parked in underground car park (refused by Sprocket John) while
big posters inside Bikefest tent advised parking bicycles in view of
others.

Nice poster showing picture of impossibly narrow two-way bikelane farcility.

Polis weren't going to supervise parked bikes.

Cyclists milling about awkwardly, scuffing legs with their pannier hooks.

Hot strong sun, contrasting with refreshing cool of fountain water.

Incessant blaring muzak making it difficult for me to hear my poor
hoarse partner.

Despite all this, the atmosphere seemed good.

But I am angry...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wonderful, wasn't it?
>
> A BikeFest without bicycles, as decided by our 'Cycling Centre of
> Excellence' expert (sic) Rose Ades.
> Bicycles parked in underground car park (refused by Sprocket John) while
> big posters inside Bikefest tent advised parking bicycles in view of
> others.

I parked at the front of Trafalgar Sq in the racks. There seemed to be an
official there at all times.

> Polis weren't going to supervise parked bikes.

Why should they?

> Cyclists milling about awkwardly, scuffing legs with their pannier hooks.

Didn't bring my panniers ;)

> Hot strong sun, contrasting with refreshing cool of fountain water.

I'm burnt :)

> Incessant blaring muzak making it difficult for me to hear my poor
> hoarse partner.

That was for the vert ramp? Yes, the speakers weren't good enough to handle
what they put through it. Shame, good music mostly.

> Despite all this, the atmosphere seemed good.
>
> But I am angry...

Cheer up :)

I was disappointed that all the info stalls were crammed into one
small tent - so TfL / London Cycling Campaign / Sustrans / Bike Week /
Cycle Maintenance and most other things of interest were all rubbing
shoulders . There wasn't a lot of space for punters to gather round
individual stalls.

Still the kmx carts looked fun.

Tim

Tim Henderson [email protected] opined the following...
> I was disappointed that all the info stalls were crammed into one
> small tent - so TfL / London Cycling Campaign / Sustrans / Bike Week /
> Cycle Maintenance and most other things of interest were all rubbing
> shoulders . There wasn't a lot of space for punters to gather round
> individual stalls.
>
> Still the kmx carts looked fun.

Did they have the adult version on demo? Having fallen flat on my ****
riding the kids one (OK. Skidding to a halt outside Kinetics doesn't
count as riding!) I'd love to play on the adult version.

Jon

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:21:54 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Wonderful, wasn't it?
>
> A BikeFest without bicycles, as decided by our 'Cycling Centre of
> Excellence' expert (sic) Rose Ades.
> Bicycles parked in underground car park (refused by Sprocket John)

Don't start me.
We went for a ride to Hyde Park, via the trafficless Mall, and had a
lovely day by the Serpentine. Returned in time for the Bollywood on Bikes.

What is the POINT of a Bikefest if you can't wheel your bike along beside
you? I coul dunderstand safety fears, but the ban on bikes was too much.

BTW< did anyone catch news footage on BBC?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:00:06 +0000, elyob wrote:

> I parked at the front of Trafalgar Sq in the racks. There seemed to be an
> official there at all times.

An American visitor along on our ride was pointedly told not to lock his
bike to the barriers near Nelsons Column.

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tim Henderson [email protected] opined the following...
> > I was disappointed that all the info stalls were crammed into one
> > small tent - so TfL / London Cycling Campaign / Sustrans / Bike Week /
> > Cycle Maintenance and most other things of interest were all rubbing
> > shoulders . There wasn't a lot of space for punters to gather round
> > individual stalls.
> >
> > Still the kmx carts looked fun.

> Did they have the adult version on demo? Having fallen flat on my ****
> riding the kids one (OK. Skidding to a halt outside Kinetics doesn't
> count as riding!) I'd love to play on the adult version.

I had my first taste of the dark side today. I brought out some bright
yellow 'bent and was advised that the 'spirit' was the first one to try
(after this weird Giant 'gliding' bike thingy). No-one advised moving the
seat :) A couple of laps with my knees at 90 degrees I decided to check
whether they had an adult bike. So, you can push the seat back then. Made it
a lot easier.

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:21:54 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
> > Wonderful, wasn't it?
> >
> > A BikeFest without bicycles, as decided by our 'Cycling Centre of
> > Excellence' expert (sic) Rose Ades.
> > Bicycles parked in underground car park (refused by Sprocket John)

> Don't start me.
> We went for a ride to Hyde Park, via the trafficless Mall, and had a
> lovely day by the Serpentine. Returned in time for the Bollywood on Bikes.
>
> What is the POINT of a Bikefest if you can't wheel your bike along beside
> you? I coul dunderstand safety fears, but the ban on bikes was too much.
>
> BTW< did anyone catch news footage on BBC?

I wheeled my bike in quickly when I returned ... I felt that it is polite
not to bring a bike in, if you can. I saw quite a few bikes in there. And
the police or officials didn't say a word when I just popped in for a map.

Didn't catch the BBC, but my main gripe was not about the event, the people
or rules ... just a shame it wasn't a bigger event. It was the perfect day,
and team-extreme.co.uk used rubbishy speakers but good music. I liked the
addition of skating in the half pipe. Cycling and skating goes well
together. (well, not at the same time ... SPD's are better)...

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:21:54 +0100 someone who may be Helen Deborah
Vecht <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Bicycles parked in underground car park (refused by Sprocket John) while
>big posters inside Bikefest tent advised parking bicycles in view of
>others.

At the VeloCity conference in Edinburgh a few years ago the
organisers had the bright idea of placing the cycle parking out of
sight at the back of the conference centre, in direct contravention
of the cycle guidelines produced by the Council.

The Transport Minister invited delegates to a dinner at which dress
was specified as "lounge suit", just the sort of thing delegates are
likely to have with them:)

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Still the kmx carts looked fun.

> Did they have the adult version on demo? Having fallen flat on my ****
> riding the kids one (OK. Skidding to a halt outside Kinetics doesn't
> count as riding!) I'd love to play on the adult version.

They had one adult one and about ten kids carts - though I didn't see
any adults having a go in the time I was there. I drifted off to
admire Rinky-Dink and the proper dark-side machines.

Tim