bikeless in palm springs

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by dccyclist, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. dccyclist

    dccyclist Guest

    I'm disappointed that I can't rent a bike on my convention trip to Palm
    Springs. The only bike rental company, (Bike Adventures, i think it
    is), only is open in Palm Springs on Wed-Sun. I'm here Monday and
    Tuesday. And I don't have a car.

    So I guess I'll have to lay by the pool. OK, there are worse things.
    But for a dedicated cyclist, that's a distant second best.

    Sure, I should have made arrangements in advance. But why doesn't a
    tourist place like Palm Springs have better bike arrangement than that?

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "dccyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm disappointed that I can't rent a bike on my convention trip to Palm
    > Springs. The only bike rental company, (Bike Adventures, i think it
    > is), only is open in Palm Springs on Wed-Sun. I'm here Monday and
    > Tuesday. And I don't have a car.
    >
    > So I guess I'll have to lay by the pool. OK, there are worse things.
    > But for a dedicated cyclist, that's a distant second best.
    >
    > Sure, I should have made arrangements in advance. But why doesn't a
    > tourist place like Palm Springs have better bike arrangement than that?

    The fact that there's only one place to rent suggests there's a small
    market.

  3. Buy a bike from a Thrift store.

    It'll be cheaper than renting one.

    Lewis.

    *****

  4. "dccyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm disappointed that I can't rent a bike on my convention trip to Palm
    > Springs. The only bike rental company, (Bike Adventures, i think it
    > is), only is open in Palm Springs on Wed-Sun. I'm here Monday and
    > Tuesday. And I don't have a car.
    >
    > So I guess I'll have to lay by the pool. OK, there are worse things.
    > But for a dedicated cyclist, that's a distant second best.
    >
    > Sure, I should have made arrangements in advance. But why doesn't a
    > tourist place like Palm Springs have better bike arrangement than that?

    The last time I had a few days someplace, I simply purchased a cheap $50
    bike from WalMart and a screwdriver and a crescent wrench to fit the bike.
    I got the store person to pump up the tires for me. then I checked the bike
    out and tweaked it some, and rode the heck out of it all over the place.
    Then I abandoned it at the hotel, and taped a note to it saying "It's your's
    if you want it". I kept the tools in case I needed them again sometime.:)
    I think the cheap single speed cruisers are probably $60 or so nowadays, but
    tooling around on a single speed is no big deal for me. Makes for a good
    workout anyway.

  5. dccyclist

    dccyclist Guest

    Good ideas, thank you.

  6. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote: Buy a bike from a Thrift store. It'll be
    cheaper than renting one.
    They don't have thrift stores in Palm Springs. Everyone there is rich.