Bikepath: Quick way trough Sydney

BikeManiac

Guest
Dear Group,
In about 3 weeks I will be coming from south (princess hwy) and need
to continue towards Brisbane. I need to be able to pass Sydney as fast
as possible. Somebody has talked about the M7. Does that mean I turn
towards Appin just after Bulli and then continue towards Campbelltown
to hook up with the M7 at Edmonson where the bike path is? Or are
there any other easy-to-follow alternatives which don't require a very
detailed Sydney street map?

Thank you in advance,

Lucas Jensen

"BikeManiac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear Group,
> In about 3 weeks I will be coming from south (princess hwy) and need
> to continue towards Brisbane. I need to be able to pass Sydney as fast
> as possible. Somebody has talked about the M7. Does that mean I turn
> towards Appin just after Bulli and then continue towards Campbelltown
> to hook up with the M7 at Edmonson where the bike path is? Or are
> there any other easy-to-follow alternatives which don't require a very
> detailed Sydney street map?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Lucas Jensen

Princes Highway you mean? No princesses up here. Bugger the Bulli Pass.
Catch a train to Waterfall from Wollongong. Or if you must, just plough on
up the coast through Wollongong, Thirroul, Coaldale, Seacliff Bridge,
Stanwell Park, big hill to Stanwell Tops, cruise through Royal National Park
to Sutherland (or Bundeena, can catch a nice ferry to Cronulla), cross
Captain Cook Bridge, then around Botany Bay to Cooks River at Tempe and
rejoin the Princes Highway through Newtown into the City. Or find the cycle
route around the northwest side of the airport at Marsh St. Shoot up George
St, left at Town Hall, right onto Clarence and Kent Sts to Observatory Hill
and the Harbour Bridge cycleway and North Sydney. Then follow Pacific
Highway (cant think of an easy alternative -maybe via Ryde, Epping and
Pennant Hills? or go up the northern beaches through Manly, Dee Why, Mona
Vale to Palm Beach and catch a ferry to Ettalong ) to Hornsby and old
Pacific Highway to Brooklyn and bobs your uncle. Personally I think noone
would object if you got on a train at North Sydney and got off at Hornsby.

fb

Fractal wrote:
> "BikeManiac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Dear Group,
>>In about 3 weeks I will be coming from south (princess hwy) and need
>>to continue towards Brisbane. I need to be able to pass Sydney as fast
>>as possible. Somebody has talked about the M7. Does that mean I turn
>>towards Appin just after Bulli and then continue towards Campbelltown
>>to hook up with the M7 at Edmonson where the bike path is? Or are
>>there any other easy-to-follow alternatives which don't require a very
>>detailed Sydney street map?
>>
>>Thank you in advance,
>>
>>Lucas Jensen
>>

> Princes Highway you mean? No princesses up here. Bugger the Bulli Pass.
> Catch a train to Waterfall from Wollongong. Or if you must, just plough on
> up the coast through Wollongong, Thirroul, Coaldale, Seacliff Bridge,
> Stanwell Park, big hill to Stanwell Tops, cruise through Royal National Park
> to Sutherland (or Bundeena, can catch a nice ferry to Cronulla), cross
> Captain Cook Bridge, then around Botany Bay to Cooks River at Tempe and
> rejoin the Princes Highway through Newtown into the City. Or find the cycle
> route around the northwest side of the airport at Marsh St. Shoot up George
> St, left at Town Hall, right onto Clarence and Kent Sts to Observatory Hill
> and the Harbour Bridge cycleway and North Sydney. Then follow Pacific
> Highway (cant think of an easy alternative -maybe via Ryde, Epping and
> Pennant Hills? or go up the northern beaches through Manly, Dee Why, Mona
> Vale to Palm Beach and catch a ferry to Ettalong ) to Hornsby and old
> Pacific Highway to Brooklyn and bobs your uncle. Personally I think noone
> would object if you got on a train at North Sydney and got off at Hornsby.
>
> fb

From Tempe pick up the Cooks River bike path (it is a bit hard to find
in places), follow that past Olympic park to Meadowbank, then up through
Ryde to Pymble, then Paciific Highway. I usually end up riding on the
footpath along Ryde road from Top Ryde, b**ger the law!

--
Remove norubbish to reply

Fractal said:
"BikeManiac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Or are there any other easy-to-follow alternatives which don't require a very detailed Sydney street map?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Lucas Jensen

Princes Highway you mean? No princesses up here. Bugger the Bulli Pass.
Catch a train to Waterfall from Wollongong. Or if you must, just plough on
up the coast through Wollongong, Thirroul, Coaldale, Seacliff Bridge,
Stanwell Park, big hill to Stanwell Tops, cruise through Royal National Park
to Sutherland (or Bundeena, can catch a nice ferry to Cronulla),

fb

Have to agree with giving Bulli Pass a miss, but forget the train. The ride from Wollongong to Bundeena is a ripper, have done it many times. Unfortunately when you get to Cronulla you have to put up with Sydney traffic which I hate. Can't get south fast enough.
Also the ride to Hornsby isn't simple so it fails your test of not needing a street directory.

A longer, flatter, simpler but far less scenic alternative is to go up Bulli Pass to Appin as you suggest. Or ride up Mt Keira on to the Picton Rd then west to the freeway, north past Cambelltown and onto the M7 as you suggested.
The climbs up Bulli Pass & Mt Keira are steep but not so long. Also be aware that parts of the Appin & Picton Rds are quite narrow, & in places you're forced to ride the edge line next to 100kmh cars & trucks. The rest of these roads are good with a decent sealed shoulder. The M7 bikeway is good too, but I haven't ridden north of it.

So not sure what happens at the end of the M7 bikeway, presume you can just follow along West Pennant Hills Rd. Should be a straight forward ride to Hornsby & beyond.

On Aug 10, 8:31 pm, branded <branded.2v3...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Fractal Wrote:
>
> > "BikeManiac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> > > Or are there any other easy-to-follow alternatives which don't

> > require a very detailed Sydney street map?

> > > Thank you in advance,

> > > Lucas Jensen

> > Princes Highway you mean? No princesses up here. Bugger the Bulli
> > Pass.
> > Catch a train to Waterfall from Wollongong. Or if you must, just plough
> > on
> > up the coast through Wollongong, Thirroul, Coaldale, Seacliff Bridge,
> > Stanwell Park, big hill to Stanwell Tops, cruise through Royal National
> > Park
> > to Sutherland (or Bundeena, can catch a nice ferry to Cronulla),

> > fb

> Have to agree with giving Bulli Pass a miss, but forget the train. The
> ride from Wollongong to Bundeena is a ripper, have done it many times.
> Unfortunately when you get to Cronulla you have to put up with Sydney
> traffic which I hate. Can't get south fast enough.
> Also the ride to Hornsby isn't simple so it fails your test of not
> needing a street directory.
>
> A longer, flatter, simpler but far less scenic alternative is to go up
> Bulli Pass to Appin as you suggest. Or ride up Mt Keira on to the
> Picton Rd then west to the freeway, north past Cambelltown and onto the
> M7 as you suggested.
> The climbs up Bulli Pass & Mt Keira are steep but not so long. Also be
> aware that parts of the Appin & Picton Rds are quite narrow, & in
> places you're forced to ride the edge line next to 100kmh cars &
> trucks. The rest of these roads are good with a decent sealed shoulder.
> The M7 bikeway is good too, but I haven't ridden north of it.
>
> So not sure what happens at the end of the M7 bikeway, presume you can
> just follow along West Pennant Hills Rd. Should be a straight forward
> ride to Hornsby & beyond.
>
> --
> branded

There is just one thing I'd add to that - you can either ride the
cycleway alongside the M7 or the M7 shoulder (quite good and wide)
itself. If you ride the cycleway, which is very good, you still need
to get onto the shoulder before it ends in order to continue on the M2
which takes you through to Pennant Hills Rd. which you take to get to
Hornsby. I usually leave the M7 cycleway at Sunnyholt Rd intersection
and get on the shoulder which takes me along onto the M2

BikeManiac wrote:
> Dear Group,
> In about 3 weeks I will be coming from south (princess hwy) and need
> to continue towards Brisbane. I need to be able to pass Sydney as fast
> as possible.

Catch a train at Wollongong to Cowan (or Richmond depending on route north).
Unless you have real reasons to ride through

> Somebody has talked about the M7. Does that mean I turn
> towards Appin just after Bulli and then continue towards Campbelltown
> to hook up with the M7 at Edmonson where the bike path is?

Basically yes.
You can avoid Appin by turning north along the colleriey road near the
turn off to Cataract Dam. Goes through Weddernburn. not sure about
locked fire trail gate.

Berry, Kangaroo Valley, MossVale, then north along old highway is
another alternative to get up to Cambelltown.

You are going to have problems at the northern end of the M7 if you want
to follow M2. I believe it is currently not allowed (road widening).

I believe it is possible to go to Central, Ferry to Manly, northern
beaches to ???, then Ferry across to Palm Beach(?), then Umina, Woy woy,
and up the coast.

> Or are
> there any other easy-to-follow alternatives which don't require a very
> detailed Sydney street map?

Try the RTA site for the relevant free bicycle maps if you really want
to ride.

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:42:37 +1000, Terryc wrote:

> You are going to have problems at the northern end of the M7 if you want
> to follow M2. I believe it is currently not allowed (road widening).

Only the other way, from Ryde Rd to Beecroft Rd. While I haven't ridden up
Pennant Hills Rd from the M2, I'm not sure it'd be that pleasant. Better
to stay on the M2 to the bike path just before the tollgates at Ryde, then
up through Turramurra and Wahroonga. There are a couple of different
options, but even the Pacific Hwy there isn't that nasty.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Forty-two" - Deep Thought

branded wrote:

> The climbs up Bulli Pass & Mt Keira are steep but not so long.

Also not much, if any shoulder for top part. Bttm and middle okay.

> Also be
> aware that parts of the Appin & Picton Rds are quite narrow, & in
> places you're forced to ride the edge line next to 100kmh cars &
> trucks. The rest of these roads are good with a decent sealed shoulder.

Which parts are still narrow?
I think most of it has been reformed in the last decade.

Caveat, not ridden by me.

terryc wrote:
Also not much, if any shoulder for top part. Bttm and middle okay.

Bulli Pass has a climbing lane up to the elbow, narrow after that & throw in traffic
Mt Keira is wide up to the Demonstration School then narrows (no shoulder), but not much traffic

> Also be
> aware that parts of the Appin & Picton Rds are quite narrow, & in
> places you're forced to ride the edge line next to 100kmh cars &
> trucks. The rest of these roads are good with a decent sealed shoulder.

Which parts are still narrow?
I think most of it has been reformed in the last decade.
Picton Rd has almost no shoulder from Mt Keira Rd to Cordeaux Dam, good west of the dam.
Appin Rd hasn't much shoulder near Appin (around the climbing lane, Scout Camp turn). Likewise at the Bulli end for the last few kms.

Caveat, not ridden by me.
Time you got out & did a bit!
branded

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:47:05 +1000, Jack Russell wrote:

> From Tempe pick up the Cooks River bike path (it is a bit hard to find
> in places), follow that past Olympic park to Meadowbank, then up through
> Ryde to Pymble, then Paciific Highway. I usually end up riding on the
> footpath along Ryde road from Top Ryde, b**ger the law!

Ryde Rd you are mad!

From Meadowbank up through Denistone, Eastwood, then Vimeria Rd across the
Lane Cove River and up Kissing Pt Rd to Turramurra. Then the Pacific
Highway.

dewatf.