Bikepaths through schools: anyone?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Peter McCallum, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. Hi
    I've been asked whether there is a school anywhere in Australia (other
    than Mackay) that has a bicycle path running through it. If you know of
    one please let me know. I'd also be interested in overseas examples.

    Peter

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    oooh. oooh ooh. I know this one!

    (googles knows the first one...)
    " 'Freeway-Stanley Terrace.'
    Up Sherwood road, down past the bus depot at Toowong to the cemetery and freeway. It follows the bike track along the freeway for about 2.5 Km then left into the bush and out on to Stanley terrace. This road is quire and runs beside bush and into suburban houses. At miskin Street it turns into a park and passes through the park and a near by school ground. It then returns to the High Street and the RE Pub."

    Seem to be quite a few going thru Uni grounds, or even networks within Uni Grounds alone.

    I think people's have been campaigning for the Lilydale-Warburton trail to be comlleted thru the grounds of Lildale college for a bit now

  3. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Come to Canberra. Just about every school has no strict boundary and there
    is almost always a path going past. Nearly every suburb has a school like
    this.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

  4. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > oooh. oooh ooh. I know this one!
    >
    > (googles knows the first one...)
    > " 'Freeway-Stanley Terrace.'
    > Up Sherwood road, down past the bus depot at Toowong to the cemetery
    > and freeway. It follows the bike track along the freeway for about 2.5
    > Km then left into the bush and out on to Stanley terrace. This road
    > is quire and runs beside bush and into suburban houses. At miskin
    > Street it turns into a park and passes through the park and a near by
    > school ground. It then returns to the High Street and the RE Pub."
    >
    > Seem to be quite a few going thru Uni grounds, or even networks within
    > Uni Grounds alone.
    >
    > I think people's have been campaigning for the Lilydale-Warburton trail
    > to be comlleted thru the grounds of Lildale college for a bit now

    you are the font of all wisdom. google, hey? never though of that. d'oh!

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  5. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Mr Bean, everytime I see your name I start singing Led Zeppelin...

    "Bean Long time since I rock'n' rolled...woo ooo...ou ou ouou"

    Adam

  6. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I've been asked whether there is a school anywhere in Australia (other
    > > than Mackay) that has a bicycle path running through it. If you know
    > > of
    > > one please let me know. I'd also be interested in overseas examples.
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >
    > > --
    > > Peter McCallum
    > > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    > oooh. oooh ooh. I know this one!

    You don't REALLY know do you? ;-) http://tinyurl.com/brvej

    From the map it looks like the bikeway runs parallel to the St Ignoramus
    boundary rather than through it.

    > (googles knows the first one...)
    > " 'Freeway-Stanley Terrace.'
    > Up Sherwood road, down past the bus depot at Toowong to the cemetery
    > and freeway. It follows the bike track along the freeway for about 2.5
    > Km then left into the bush and out on to Stanley terrace. This road
    > is quire and runs beside bush and into suburban houses. At miskin
    > Street it turns into a park and passes through the park and a near by
    > school ground. It then returns to the High Street and the RE Pub."
    >
    > Seem to be quite a few going thru Uni grounds, or even networks within
    > Uni Grounds alone.
    >
    > I think people's have been campaigning for the Lilydale-Warburton trail
    > to be comlleted thru the grounds of Lildale college for a bit now

    you don't really know do you?
    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    errrrr.... "look over there!!!" <runs away> no... :rolleyes:

  8. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > >
    > > you don't really know do you?
    > > --
    > > Peter McCallum
    > > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    > errrrr.... "look over there!!!" <runs away> no... :rolleyes:

    Damn, got me again.
    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  9. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    The trail in question has caused lots of grief by being clsoe to the school and attracting unwanted elements, aparently bike paths somehow make access easier than roads!!

  10. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    A bike path that ends at the pub - what a good idea. The RE or Royal Exchange used to be the pub where the UQ humanities/arts students drank. Engineers, med and science students drank at the Regatta. Until the licensed student club opened on campus. A long long time ago.

    (oooh, I've come over all nostalgic like - I was one of the foundation members that was needed to make the licensing application for the student club. Now I have a tear in my eye - I can remember pots of beer for 38c in the student club. And when the price of a pot hit 40c, fellow students swearing they were going to give up drinking.)

    SteveA

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    SteveA wrote:

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > >

    > > At miskin Street it turns into a park and passes through the park and
    > > a near by school ground. It then returns to the High Street and the RE
    > > Pub."
    > >

    > A bike path that ends at the pub - what a good idea. The RE or Royal
    > Exchange used to be the pub where the UQ humanities/arts students
    > drank. Engineers, med and science students drank at the Regatta.
    > Until the licensed student club opened on campus. A long long time
    > ago.

    <snip>
    Student club then closed, RE regained popularity until the Regatta got
    renovated, so the RE got refurbed, now the 'Gatta closes later, so
    students end up there, but there's a constant stream back and forward.
    The Red Room (new student pub) is strictly for early! The staff club
    still sells cheaper beer.

    Tam

  12. PiledHigher wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >
    >>errrrr.... "look over there!!!" <runs away> no... :rolleyes:

    > The trail in question has caused lots of grief by being clsoe to the
    > school and attracting unwanted elements, aparently bike paths somehow
    > make access easier than roads!!

    In real life?, as in the police/security find them there,

    or in the fevered sexual frustrations/imaginations of "parents".

  13. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003

    Purely perceptions, last I heard the trail was still incomplete

  14. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    I'm glad I bring happiness into someone's life!

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "adam85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bean Long Wrote:
    > > Come to Canberra. Just about every school has no strict boundary and
    > > there
    > > is almost always a path going past. Nearly every suburb has a school
    > > like
    > > this.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bean
    > >

    > Mr Bean, everytime I see your name I start singing Led Zeppelin...
    >
    > "Bean Long time since I rock'n' rolled...woo ooo...ou ou ouou"
    >
    > Adam
    >

    > --
    > adam85

  15. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Student club used to have somewhat restricted hours with a break in the afternoon, so on a big day, eg after last exam students had to shuffle - Pub - club - pub - club - pub. BURRRRP.

    SteveA

  16. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    But maybe not a bikepath as you know it. All paths are shared paths in the ACT.

  17. Ted Linnell

    Ted Linnell Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think people's have been campaigning for the Lilydale-Warburton trail
    >to be comlleted thru the grounds of Lildale college for a bit now

    Actually I think that the College is campaining to take over the
    public land that the old railway used, as they have proberty on both
    sides.

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
    | |