Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Say, I just noticed this has strayed pretty far from
the topic of mountain lions dining on cyclists, hasn't
it? Oh well.

--
--Scott
"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "I do not know if the loved ones of the troops fighting in Iraq 1
> & 11 were treated any better but I hope so"
>
> Definitely. One of the consequences of having an all-volunteer force. In
> fact, the only data that exists that links school achievement of children
> with both the IQ of parents and in-home child-rearing practices is a
> database maintained by the military. They keep track of every aspect of
> those folks' experience, from cradle to grave.
>
> --
> --Scott
> "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Agreed and Thanks for writing it. I kept writing and deleting and gave
up.

> > My only regret was that Washington did not offer stress and grief
> > counselling to the parents, wives, girlfriends, brothers & sisters of
> troops
> > KIA or wounded for they lived through their own emotional Hell not
knowing
> > if we'd come home and then be told what happened to us with no one there
> > help them, I do not know if the loved ones of the troops fighting in
Iraq

Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> On 11 Mar 2004 16:01:16 -0800, [email protected] (Edward
> Dolan) wrote:
>
> >As a great and powerful nation we will always have more
> >than our share of wars and consequently more than our
> >share of veterans needing care and support after the war
> >is concluded.
>
> As Lincoln said, "..to care for him who shall have borne
> the battle..." -- and today, he'd say "him or her".
>
> I've spent a lot of time in VA hospitals. The VA is still
> fighting WWII and all the subsequent conflicts, major and
> minor, publicized and unpublicized.
>
> I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. I wasn't
> begrudging veterans VA care. My comment was directed to
> the notion that so many homeless men are Vietnam
> veterans. There are a great many fake "Vietnam Combat
> Veterans" around.

I understood your post perfectly Zippy but I cannot let
anything go by when I can take off on something that is said
and thereby extend the conversation. That is why any thread
that I contribute to ends up wandering all over creation. I
do know of course how to stick to a subject but it is a lot
more fun when one thought leads to another and before you
know it something of import is getting said to the surprise
and maybe consternation of all. I believe in serendipity.
Others like Cletus and Mikael do not like this sort of thing
but they stay as far away from me as I do from them.

It is interesting though that anyone would want to identify
themselves as Vietnam War combat veterans when for such a
long time that designation was not looked upon very
favorably. I think that has changed by now and so that is a
good thing. My period of service was after the Korean War
and before the Vietnam War. We peacetime vets went through
our own particular version of hell too. But I never compare
what we went through to what wartime vets went through.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... I especially like that part about the free
> > hypodermic needle exchange program and the free condoms.
> > Just when you think you have heard every foolishness
> > that life has to offer, there is yet more to hear....
>
> Prohibiting needle exchange programs does not reduce
> intravenous drug

> education and birth control availability only
> increases the number of unwanted pregnancies and the
> spread of STD's.
>
> Mr. Dolan was born at least 50 years too late. He is not
> conservative, but reactionary.

Yes, yes, but you are enabling disgusting and immoral
behavior. But that is what our society does with respect to
everything. Were we not all better off as a society when no
one in their right (conservative)

universally regarded as disgusting and immoral. If that is
what being a reactionary is, then I proudly plead guilty.

> And since Mr. Dolan advocates at least the moderate use of
> a certain mood altering drug (and acknowledges his own use
> of that drug), he should not be so quick to condemn the
> use of other mood altering drugs.

I could no more become addicted to anything than J.C.
Himself! The main reason being I can't stand the expense of
an addiction whether to

some when I am posting to Mr. Sherman. Left to my natural
self I might blow a gasket as I have one of this world's
highest blood pressures -
240/120! So a bit of vino mellows me out and I can look on
Mr. Sherman's posts as the liberal ravings that they are
and enjoy them as a source of unending humor. Why should
I go berserk and play into his hands just because I know
that that is his intention, namely, to drive me stark
raving mad with his infernal posts.

Now, as to the substance of what Mr. Sherman has said above,
poor and homeless people have no right to be engaging in
disgusting and immoral

the minimum acquiring a roof over their heads, then that is
time enough to think about pursing happiness (disgusting and
immoral behavior). Until then, let them walk the straight
and narrow.

In the old days, at least the Missions tried to see to that
much anyway. They would give you something to eat and a
place to sleep after you took stock of your miserable
failure as a human being. In other words, the Missions tried
to give you a good swift kick in the ass to get you to give
up your disgusting and immoral behavior.

But what does our modern day liberal do? Hell Bells! He
gives them whatever it is they think they want and thinks he
is doing them favors. What he is really doing is enabling
disgusting and immoral behavior and thereby hastening their
journey to the grave.

I will choose to be a reactionary any old day over being
a liberal!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > That is the way it is done here in Minnesota too. You
> > will never see a homeless person living on the streets
> > in any small town....
>
> The police likely would pick them up and drop them off in
> the nearest city large enough to support a homeless
> shelter.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Maybe so, but you are less likely to become homeless in a
small town in America because others will know who you are
and it will be considered very shameful to fail like that.
We need to inculcate more of a culture of shame in this
country if that is what it takes to get people to behave
themselves. I believe Japan is the prime example of a
culture which elevates a sense of shame to the highest
rung on the ladder of morality. Are there any homeless in
Japan I wonder?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... As a great and powerful nation we will always have
> > more than our share of wars and consequently more than
> > our share of veterans needing care and support after the
> > war is concluded. Dems and Repubs both to their credit
> > have for the most part been very supportive of the VA
> > and its mission as have the American people....
>
> But the Cheney/Bush administration proposed cutting
> veterans benefits.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Nothing ever gets cut anywhere in government expenditures.
We all know that by now. But if something does not get ever
increased funding to keep up with the minimum inflation,
then your liberal considers that to be a cut. I dare say the
total expenditure for the VA will be increased over what it
was last year, just not as much as some would like.

My support of Bush and the Repubs is not set in concrete
however. If they were to screw things up too badly, I would
sit on my hands and not vote at all. There is just no way in
this world I could ever vote for Kerry no matter what he
might do for the VA. I do not put myself and my interests
ever above the interests of the nation.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Say, I just noticed this has strayed pretty far from the
> topic of mountain lions dining on cyclists, hasn't it?
> Oh well.

Scott, once a subject thread has gone beyond 20 or 30 posts,
it will not only be OT, it will be way, way OT and no longer
have any relationship to the original topic. I have
considered this particular subject thread my own domain for
quite some time now and it should of course be labeled OT.

But maybe it is better not to do that as I do believe
some on this newsgroup are put off by a subject thread
that is labeled OT, thinking that it is nothing but
invective and flaming. They are quite wrong about that of
course as it is possible to have wonderful conversations
with total strangers about important subjects without
being super conscious about it all the time if it were
labeled OT. But for all practical purposes, this subject
thread is definitely OT now and should be regarded as
such by one and all.

Anyone who has anything to say about mountain lions and
cyclists is dead and gone by now and we are none of us here
any longer interested in that particular subject. We have
gone on to other subjects and that is as it should be.

You couldn't run your class like this nor would you want to,
but this is the wild and woolly world of the Internet where
just about anything goes! I prove that every time I post.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. I have taken college courses where the professor would
allow the discussion to wander all over the place and
then we never could find the subject of the course
again. When it came time to take the final exams, we
just all decided that we had all passed and that we had
had a very good course in the humanities and the liberal
arts. Our minds had ranged widely and we knew bits and
pieces of knowledge that no one else in the universe
would know, not having taken this very particular course
from this very particular professor.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... But what does our modern day liberal do? Hell Bells!
> He gives them whatever it is they think they want and
> thinks he is doing them favors. What he is really doing is
> enabling disgusting and immoral behavior and thereby
> hastening their journey to the grave....

If we really wanted to eliminate "enabling disgusting and
immoral behavior", a near hundred percent inheritance tax
would be a place to start, as those who do not have to work
for their money are often foolish with it (and much else in
their lives).

This reminds me, where has Skip gone?

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If we really wanted to eliminate "enabling disgusting and
> immoral behavior", a near hundred percent inheritance tax
> would be a place to start, as those who do not have to
> work for their money are often foolish with it (and much
> else in their lives).
>
> This reminds me, where has Skip gone?

Been down way down south on the Suwanee River. I try to
experience spring in as many places as possible by going
south and working my way back home (which is north of
south). Plus I've been bizzy, bizzy, bizzy looking for new
disgusting and immoral ways to squander my vast inheritance
so in case I ever die none of it will find its way into your
grubby hands .

Aside from that I seem didn't miss much. All those who left
in a snit are back, except for Brian, who did the big
goodbye, but apparently never actually left. Recently though
it appears he had to rush back to his own message board
because Randy Shlitter was over there going ballistic and
pulling his BROLE sponsorship over some posters having the
audacity to question the comfort of the Famous rans Seat.

At least Cletus didn't do another one of his big goodbye
forever things to the newsgroup, but I did see where he
can't figure out how to filter the Ed Threads even though he
always uses the world's greatest newsreader. So naturally he
was compelled to read those Ed Threads (they must be hard to
follow with Ed being killfiled) the upshot of which was him
to doing the big goodbye forever to his riding buddy
Freewheeling. And so it goes.

I also saw where you left arbr for a while causing Ed to
have an anxiety attack. Thankfully you found it in the
goodness of your heart to return. All is well.

On the political scene it looks as if I'll be voting for
Nader again. My friends tell me it's just another vote for
GWB, but that's ok. It's less taxing for us rich types than
voting for Kerry plus I don't want Bush to think he's got
some kind of mandate like he had last time. Heh.

I've been polishing on the natural aluminum frame of my GRR,
looking forward to spring here at home, and hoping I'm in
good enough shape to out run the mountain lions. [1]

skip

[1] inane recumbent and mountain lion content added for the
sake of those on topic folks who share this newsgroup
with us and demand no less

$kip wrote:

> ... I've been polishing on the natural aluminum frame of
> my GRR...

Metallic aluminium/aluminum does not occur naturally; it is
found as a component of several minerals. Certainly the 6061
alloy [1] used by Easy Racers for the Gold Rush Replica does
not occur naturally.

[1] "Post heat treated" after TIG welding [2], but heat
treatment type is not specified (T-6?).
[2] <http://www.easyracers.com/gold_rush.htm>.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> $kip wrote:
>
> > ... I've been polishing on the natural aluminum frame of
> > my GRR...
>
> Metallic aluminium/aluminum does not occur naturally; it
> is found as a component of several minerals. Certainly the
> 6061 alloy [1] used by Easy Racers for the Gold Rush
> Replica does not occur naturally.
>
> [1] "Post heat treated" after TIG welding [2], but heat
> treatment type is not specified (T-6?).
> [2] <http://www.easyracers.com/gold_rush.htm>.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

OK. ....polishing on the unnatural aluminum frame of
my GRR....

skip

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... But what does our modern day liberal do? Hell Bells!
> > He gives them whatever it is they think they want and
> > thinks he is doing them favors. What he is really doing
> > is enabling disgusting and immoral behavior and thereby
> > hastening their journey to the grave....
>
> If we really wanted to eliminate "enabling disgusting and
> immoral behavior", a near hundred percent inheritance tax
> would be a place to start, as those who do not have to
> work for their money are often foolish with it (and much
> else in their lives).

It has often been remarked that the very poor and the
very rich have the same disgusting and immoral
behavior. Apparently the extremes meet and it is
essentially the middle class which is the repository of
all morality. But is it too much money or too little
money that causes reprehensible behavior or is it
rather something else entirely?

We will allow the very rich their behavior because it seldom
directly effects our lives unlike the behavior of the poor
(the homeless). It is the same with white collar crime
versus street crime. One only affects us highly indirectly
whereas the other effects us directly (assault and robbery).

> This reminds me, where has Skip gone?

Yes, he has been gone for quite a while now. I miss his
razor sharp but always subtle wit.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I have a fold-rush... i almost wish i had gotten it powder
coated instead of natural alumium..... it is not looking all
that good, and polishing it will be a real drag... i've
started it a few times, but gave up after the tediousness of
the project got to me....

Arne

=====================
berlin.de...

"Arne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have a fold-rush... i almost wish i had gotten it powder
> coated instead
of
> natural alumium..... it is not looking all that good, and
> polishing it
will
> be a real drag... i've started it a few times, but gave up
> after the tediousness of the project got to me....

It's a ritual Arne and it must be observed as a ritual.

Why don't you sell that ugly old fold rush to me cheap so
you can get yourself a nice new powder coated bike in your
favorite color. :)

skip (always willing to help a brother out)

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
> > If we really wanted to eliminate "enabling disgusting
> > and immoral behavior", a near hundred percent
> > inheritance tax would be a place to start, as those who
> > do not have to work for their money are often foolish
> > with it (and much else in their lives).
> >
> > This reminds me, where has Skip gone?
> >

> Been down way down south on the Suwanee River. I try to
> experience spring in as many places as possible by going
> south and working my way back home (which is north of
> south). Plus I've been bizzy, bizzy, bizzy looking for new
> disgusting and immoral ways to squander my vast
> inheritance so in case I ever die none of it will find its
> way into your grubby hands .

Sounds like maybe you have been doing the Bike Florida ride
or that other one that goes by the name of Safari.

> Aside from that I seem didn't miss much. All those who
> left in a snit are back, except for Brian, who did the big
> goodbye, but apparently never actually left. Recently
> though it appears he had to rush back to his own message
> board because Randy Shlitter was over there going
> ballistic and pulling his BROLE sponsorship over some
> posters having the audacity to question the comfort of the
> Famous rans Seat.
>

> At least Cletus didn't do another one of his big goodbye
> forever things to the newsgroup, but I did see where he
> can't figure out how to filter the Ed Threads even though
> he always uses the world's greatest newsreader. So
> naturally he was compelled to read those Ed Threads (they
> must be hard to follow with Ed being killfiled) the upshot
> of which was him to doing the big goodbye forever to his
> riding buddy Freewheeling. And so it goes.

Yes, Cletus just gets me in bit and pieces yet feels
qualified to comment on me and my posts. I have never kill
filed anyone in my life but if I did I would no longer say
anything at all about the person I had kill filed.

> I also saw where you left arbr for a while causing Ed to
> have an anxiety attack. Thankfully you found it in the
> goodness of your heart to return. All is well.

I was mainly upset that Mr. Sherman did not say goodbye. We
are all of us going to leave this newsgroup sooner or later.
I do not believe in slinking quietly away into the night.
No, I will be like a great artist and have many and
prolonged farewell concerts.

> On the political scene it looks as if I'll be voting for
> Nader again. My friends tell me it's just another vote for
> GWB, but that's ok. It's less taxing for us rich types
> than voting for Kerry plus I don't want Bush to think he's
> got some kind of mandate like he had last time. Heh.

OK, but don't vote for Nader if it looks like Kerry could
win. I think Pennsylvania is a going to be critical state
along with Ohio. Here in Minnesota, I wouldn't have to vote
at all as the idiots here go Dem no matter what jackass the
party comes up with. We are like Massachusetts that way.

> I've been polishing on the natural aluminum frame of
> my GRR, looking forward to spring here at home, and
> hoping I'm in good enough shape to out run the
> mountain lions. [1]

That polished aluminum GRR is the only one to have. Can you
imagine having that in black or even red?

> skip
>
> [1] inane recumbent and mountain lion content added for
> the sake of those on topic folks who share this
> newsgroup with us and demand no less

We off-topic types missed your razor sharp but always subtle
wit. Glad to see that you didn't desert us and were only
away doing what we should all be doing.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... It has often been remarked that the very poor and the
> very rich have the same disgusting and immoral behavior.
> Apparently the extremes meet and it is essentially the
> middle class which is the repository of all morality. But
> is it too much money or too little money that causes
> reprehensible behavior or is it rather something else
> entirely?
>
> We will allow the very rich their behavior because it
> seldom directly effects our lives unlike the behavior of
> the poor (the homeless). It is the same with white collar
> crime versus street crime. One only affects us highly
> indirectly whereas the other effects us directly (assault
> and robbery)....

I should point out here that Mr. Dolan has stated in the
past that he does not have much of an understanding of
economics. If he did, he would not make the above
statements.

As for one example, how were all the middle aged, mid-level
white collar Enron employees affected when upper management
bailed out before the company collapsed, while they lost
almost all of their retirement savings?

Skip, don't know about now, but when I got mine, other
choices were white (ugh..!) or black (not too exciting)...
Aluminum looks really good when polished up. And some where,
there probably is one polished up.

Arne

=====================
"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hIWdnSo5A7nGz87dRVn-
[email protected]...

> Why don't you sell that ugly old fold rush to me cheap so
> you can get yourself a nice new powder coated bike in your
> favorite color. :)

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sounds like maybe you have been doing the Bike Florida
> ride or that other one that goes by the name of Safari.

Actually I was kayak camping and didn't take a bike along
this time. I have in the past combined paddling and biking
rides out of Live Oak Florida. Bike to the put in, rent a
canoe, have the bike shuttled to the take out and then bike
back to camp when I'm done. The canoe gets shuttled back to
the put in point. Neat deal.

> I was mainly upset that Mr. Sherman did not say goodbye.
> We are all of us going to leave this newsgroup sooner or
> later. I do not believe in slinking quietly away into
> the night.

Oh come on Ed. You know the other liberals around here
aren't capable of dealing with you. You need Tom to make it
challenging. You wanted him back bad. Admit it.

No, I will be like a great
> artist and have many and prolonged farewell concerts.

Fine. Just have the good grace to stay gone after you are
done with your mega production farewell. Don't be like some
others and reappear here two weeks later.

> OK, but don't vote for Nader if it looks like Kerry could
> win. I think Pennsylvania is a going to be critical state
> along with Ohio. Here in Minnesota, I wouldn't have to
> vote at all as the idiots here go Dem no matter what
> jackass the party comes up with. We are like Massachusetts
> that way.

I live in Tennessee. Kerry won't win here. Our former
senator, vice president, and pal Al couldn't even carry the
state in the last go around.

> We off-topic types missed your razor sharp but always
> subtle wit. Glad to see that you didn't desert us and were
> only away doing what we should all be doing.

I've been honing my razor sharp but always subtle wit on
the gators and coons in the Fla. backwaters. They didn't
seem to get it. Maybe too subtle for them. But any way I'm
glad you do.

skip

Ok Arne I will trade you my expertly polished & gleaming GRR
for you ugly dull Fold Rush. I think I'm being more than
reasonable here.

skip

> Skip, don't know about now, but when I got mine, other
> choices were white (ugh..!) or black (not too exciting)...
> Aluminum looks really good when polished up. And some
> where, there probably is one polished up.
>
> Arne
>
> =====================
> "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hIWdnSo5A7nGz87dRVn-
> [email protected]...
> >
> > Why don't you sell that ugly old fold rush to me cheap
> > so you can get yourself a nice new powder coated bike in
> > your favorite color. :)
>

> I wouldn't have to vote at all as the idiots here go Dem
> no matter what jackass the party comes up with.

This dem guy comes home from the office on election day. His
wife starts in on him as he is sitting down.. "C'mon, honey,
you better hrry, we have to go vote!" He: "Oh, I'm not going
to vote, I can be more effective by staying home" She: "What
do you mean?" He: "I made a deal with this loser republican
guy at work, that since he and I always vote opposite, we'd
both stay home for the same net result." She: "OK, but just
how is that MORE effective?" He: "I made the same deal with
six other republicans!"

> We will allow the very rich their behavior because
<snip>
> One only affects us highly indirectly whereas the other
> effects us directly (assault and robbery).

We allow the rich their behaviour because the system is run
by thieves and crooks. The big guys take care of each other
cuz they never know when it will be *themselves* under
indictment or incarceration.

I lost way into the $ix figure$ (an inheiritance) cuz of
Enron. I can't find words to express my 'disappointment'
with these guys.

In my opinion, crooked politicians and white-colar crime
people actually hurt more people in a worse way, although
granted it is more indirect. Some people strike blows to at
our personal wealth, but politicians destroy the very
system that enables us to be a free people. They should be
hung for treason.

I can't believe how high-profile crooks 'negotiate' a
sentence with the justice system! Ha! How much negotiating
do you suppose a judge would do with me? Buncha crooks.