Bikers and drivers

Norjak71

Apr 29, 2016
Romeo, Michigan
When you have to drive on the road, which I try to avoid, it seems I always get dirty looks from people driving by in cars. I always try to find a sidewalk or some patch of grass I can ride on because I want to always be respectful of the rules of the road however it seems that they simply do not want us to be on the road. Is that just them being rude or is it really truly frowned upon of bikers being on the road? I recently saw the story of the bikers that were hit intentionally by a man driving a car and it really scared me away from biking for a while.

I've been riding on the road for over 40 years and enjoy ever bit of it. Will admit that the last 5+ years have been a little more challenging, with drivers texting and talking while driving. Riding on the sidewalk is against the law where I live and even if it wasn't I wouldn't do it. I've been hit once and spent quite some time in the hospital and it took my 14 months before I could ride again. Once recovered was back on the road doing what I love. I've never gone out fearing what might happen, I just go out and do what I love to do (Ride).

@Norjak71, I wonder why you seem to be very indifferent to vehicles. Have you been hit already? You sound like you have a trauma or something. I'm also scared of vehicles particularly the speeding ones. But when I ride on the road, I focus on what's ahead, leaving my trust on the driver behind me. It would be futile to monitor what's coming behind you for you will only lose your focus and you might even crash. Just ride and look ahead, don't mind the other vehicles as long as you stay on your lane or should I say on the part of your lane. And that's it. Have a nice ride out there.

It is usually safe to drive on lanes meant for cyclists. Unfortunately not all roads have lanes for bicycles. Drivers have to obey road rules or get prosecuted. You can record them using a video camera and keep the video for your evidence. Unless such drivers are taken to court then we should expect more cyclists to be hit on the roads.

It is usually safe to drive on lanes meant for cyclists. Unfortunately not all roads have lanes for bicycles. Drivers have to obey road rules or get prosecuted. You can record them using a video camera and keep the video for your evidence. Unless such drivers are taken to court then we should expect more cyclists to be hit on the roads.
The legality of recording people like that can vary wildly with the jurisdiction. Be careful about giving out advice like that. You are writing to a global audience here.

Yes, many people don't give respect to the cyclist. I am lucky to have the roads on which there are different lanes for cycling and driving. I always follow the traffic rules and I always ride on the cycle lanes. I don't think you will face any problem if you follow the road and traffic rules.

There is not much to do about it when the local support for road cycling is inexistent. You can ride across parks or move to a place with a bike lane if it can't be helped.

I enjoy driving on the road, I am used to it and I know that I am a vehicle, so they need to respect me as I respect them.

The more common bicycles become on the road the more polite drivers become. The laws and regulations for riding on the road are something you MUST know. These are then something you must practice while riding. Here in California for instance you are required to ride to the right of the right LANE but you are not required to put yourself in any danger while doing so and if the lane is too narrow for a car to pass leaving a minimum of 3 feet you can take the whole lane. But you should be polite and only do this when it is necessary. On a one way or physically divided road you can take the far left hand in like manner.

You should NEVER ride on the sidewalk save when you are about to stop/park. Neither should you EVER ride against traffic. Doing so is asking to be killed. Drivers do NOT look for cyclists in such conditions.

As for every other vehicle pedestrians have right-of-way. This means you do not block crosswalks nor proceed until completely safe.

Most state laws are similar if not identical.

There will always be a 10% group of drivers who are kings of the road and even if you are in a completely different lane, they will take a close pass often with horns blaring.

The Police will not be of any help since even bicycle cops will ignore drivers threatening other cyclists.

So just ride as if you have an equal right to the road because you do. GAS TAXES don't even pay to keep the roads in repair let alone make new roads or road improvements.

Most drivers I would like to think are conscious about the rules of the road and are polite to cyclists, but we all know that @cyclintom is right about that 10% of drivers who think that they own the road. I have certainly had my run ins with them, and I am sure that others have as well, but the best we can do is hope for the best and create more awareness and always work towards safety for everyone SHARING the roads.

Reactions: zipp2001
If you are not yet comfortable riding on the road, go slowly, doing it a little at a time. It is its own skill set and it does require experience, but it can be done, safely. You should be able to find plenty of info online about doing it right.

Sidewalks may seem to be safe, but they have their own set of hazards, such as cars backing out of driveways and, the worst one, you crossing the street from the sidewalk to get to the next sidewalk and cars on the road making a turn into you. Motorists are NOT looking for a bicycle speeding down the sidewalk when the make a turn onto a side street, when exiting a parking lot and so on.

Last edited:
Yes, some motorists do have some sort of superiority complex. They tend to look down on cyclists, bikers and even pedestrians. I've noticed that the more expensive and high-spec the car in which the motorists is driving, the more arrogant he or she becomes. Nasty looks and plenty of close calls have occurred way too many times to be perfectly honest.

Yes, some motorists do have some sort of superiority complex. They tend to look down on cyclists, bikers and even pedestrians. I've noticed that the more expensive and high-spec the car in which the motorists is driving, the more arrogant he or she becomes. Nasty looks and plenty of close calls have occurred way too many times to be perfectly honest.

Some cyclists have some sort of superiority complex as well. This isn't a motorist only issue. Plenty of close calls are caused by cyclists with attitude problems.

I really think it depends on the country your riding, like me I'm from the metro so with the current traffic situation and bicycle ordinances here you can't ride your bike on busy primary roads. Another factor is on how disciplined the drivers in your place. I only ride in the outskirts of the metro or in provinces and parks. I and my friends don't bike to go there, we drive with our bikes on a friends pick up or for some of us who have SUV's that are equipped with a bike rack.

Some people just don't like us. It's a reality for most cyclists. This is why I prefer riding in a relatively safe area. I don't try going to places where accidents are waiting to happen.

Some drivers just really hate bikers and motorcycle riders, I guess because of how our lanes aren't really defined and we can get through tight spaces which they think can scratch their car or something, so they are always agitated when they see 2-wheel riders.

Well, sometimes, We can't really avoid the arrogant drivers. When I'm using my motorcycle, going to work, one of the driver intentionally open his car's door to hit the motorcycle in front of me, and the argument started, and need the police to stop it. I help the motorcycle driver as a witness. some of the car drivers has no respect in two wheels vehicles.