Bikers welcome............

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill Meredith, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. I love stopping at red neck bars, with large signs outside informing the world that they
    welcome bikers.

    Chaining the old trek 520 right next to all thoses large motorcyles, and telling the bar tender that
    I am so happy to see a bar that would be so welcoming to us cyclists, but what is with all thoses
    motor bikes outside<grin>.

    In any case I always found a warm welcome, and motor bikers who are somewhat surprise that anyone
    would be fifty miles or so from home on a two wheelers without a large motor somewhere on it.

    Bill Meredith
     
    Tags:


  2. Frkrygow

    Frkrygow Guest

    Bill Meredith wrote:

    > I love stopping at red neck bars, with large signs outside informing the world that they
    > welcome bikers.
    >
    > Chaining the old trek 520 right next to all thoses large motorcyles, and telling the bar tender
    > that I am so happy to see a bar that would be so welcoming to us cyclists, but what is with all
    > thoses motor bikes outside<grin>.
    >
    > In any case I always found a warm welcome, and motor bikers who are somewhat surprise that anyone
    > would be fifty miles or so from home on a two wheelers without a large motor somewhere on it.

    On our coast-to-coast ride last summer, we were treated very warmly by both the Harley crowd and the
    Gold Wing crowd.

    I particularly remember talking with a couple leather-clad bikers in a small town bar. We'd walked
    there from our motel, and I asked them where they were riding. They proudly talked about riding
    their Harleys from Wisconsin to Montana - then asked us what we were up to.

    When we explained we were bicycling coast to coast, one guy's face fell. He said "Wow... you guys
    are _really_ tough!"

    I didn't want to give him feelings of inadequacy - but it was still good feedback!

    --
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]
     
  3. frkrygow <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:
    : On our coast-to-coast ride last summer, we were treated very warmly by both the Harley crowd and
    : the Gold Wing crowd.

    yep. the harley folk were great. the pod people (aka gold wing) i didn't see too much of. dig the
    reverse gear, matching helmets and intercoms, tho.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  4. On 28 Feb 2004 02:41:10 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >frkrygow <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:
    >: On our coast-to-coast ride last summer, we were treated very warmly by both the Harley crowd and
    >: the Gold Wing crowd.
    >
    >yep. the harley folk were great. the pod people (aka gold wing) i didn't see too much of. dig the
    >reverse gear, matching helmets and intercoms, tho.

    If you've got all that, why not just drive a car?

    -Luigi
     
  5. "Bill Meredith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > In any case I always found a warm welcome, and motor bikers who are somewhat surprise that anyone
    > would be fifty miles or so from home on a two wheelers without a large motor somewhere on it.

    I remember pulling up to a motorcyclist about halfway through an 80 mile loop I was doing, at a
    stoplight. We started chatting, he asked me where I was going. I described where I'd been, and where
    home was. His response was a mix of faint dubiousness and genuine respect. Since we were both trying
    to avoid the wet front that was coming up from the southwest, we wished each other well when the
    light turned green.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Email me re: the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)
     
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >frkrygow at "frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu wrote on 2/27/04 8:41 PM: On our coast-to-coast ride last
    >summer, we were treated very warmly by both the Harley crowd and the Gold Wing crowd. I
    >particularly remember talking with a couple leather-clad bikers in a small town bar. We'd walked
    >there from our motel, and I asked them where they were riding. They proudly talked about riding
    >their Harleys from Wisconsin to Montana - then asked us what we were up to. When we explained we
    >were bicycling coast to coast, one guy's face fell. He said "Wow... you guys are _really_ tough!" I
    >didn't want to give him feelings of inadequacy - but it was still good feedback!

    Motorcycle riders REALLY love recumbents. It is rare to not get positive recognition from them. I
    guess it reinforces the 'low-rider' with foot pegs at front look that they love. If you stop at any
    location with a group of motorcyclists- you will be innundated with questions and requests to ride
    your bent bike/trike.
     
  7. B a r r y

    B a r r y Guest

    On 27 Feb 2004 16:49:02 -0800, [email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:

    >In any case I always found a warm welcome, and motor bikers who are somewhat surprise that anyone
    >would be fifty miles or so from home on a two wheelers without a large motor somewhere on it.
    >
    >Bill Meredith

    At my local biker bars, it seems that many of the patrons are armed. This keeps everyone behaved, in
    a weird wild west sort of way. <G>

    I've also ben told more than once that walking into such a place with spandex on demonstrates balls
    of brass, but I'm 6'1", 225 lbs. as well. If I were a 5'4", 130 lb. man, things may be different.
    When dressed in colored spandex, I look more like I belong in the WWE than Le Tour.

    Barry
     
  8. >I've also ben told more than once that walking into such a place with spandex on demonstrates balls
    >of brass...

    Well, it shows courage to your fellow two wheelers, which is worth snot to a cager.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________
     
  9. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:37:06 GMT, B a r r y
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 27 Feb 2004 16:49:02 -0800, [email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:
    >
    >>In any case I always found a warm welcome, and motor bikers who are somewhat surprise that anyone
    >>would be fifty miles or so from home on a two wheelers without a large motor somewhere on it.
    >>
    >>Bill Meredith
    >
    >
    >At my local biker bars, it seems that many of the patrons are armed. This keeps everyone behaved,
    >in a weird wild west sort of way. <G>
    >
    >I've also ben told more than once that walking into such a place with spandex on demonstrates balls
    >of brass, but I'm 6'1", 225 lbs. as well.

    Plus, the kind of shape you're in you could probably kick some ass, as well as run away and then
    turn suddenly and confront a seriously gassed guy (who already is packin two bowie knives, and a
    couple big handguns. But these guys do a 'pile on', they don't fight normal.

    >If I were a 5'4", 130 lb. man, things may be different. When

    Appetizer. Liable to be eaten by mistake

    >dressed in colored spandex, I look more like I belong in the WWE than Le Tour.

    .jpgs

    >
    >Barry

    -B
     
  10. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:02:13 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>I've also ben told more than once that walking into such a place with spandex on demonstrates
    >>balls of brass...
    >
    >Well, it shows courage to your fellow two wheelers, which is worth snot to a cager.

    As in: "I was right hooked in October by a hit-and-run cager this year "

    After a while, boxing, basketball, all terminology just meshes into a finely tuned amalgam...

    -B We're all just a scuff mark on the cager of the Universe...
     
  11. >After a while, boxing, basketball, all terminology just meshes into a finely tuned amalgam...

    I was trying to be nice.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________
     
  12. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= Just don't walk in and yell, "I'm TRYING to use the PHONE!" Tequila, <_Jym_
     
  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Last summer, after my third flat tire, I stopped at a local biker bar on 60 highway just west of
    Springfield, MO. I didn't go in, but I did sit on the edge of a large concrete porch in front of the
    bar while I waited for my wife to retreive me and my bike. I had sat there only a few minutes when
    one of the bikers came out and gave me a beer to drink while I waited.

    For all of those that love to criticise virtually everything, the tires were fairly new and were
    supposed to have the kelvar lining. Also for those obnoxious critics, I acknowledge that I may have
    mispelled kelvar.
     
  14. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    wrote:

    >Last summer, after my third flat tire, I stopped at a local biker bar on 60 highway just west of
    >Springfield, MO. I didn't go in, but I did sit on the edge of a large concrete porch in front of
    >the bar while I waited for my wife to retreive me and my bike. I had sat there only a few minutes
    >when one of the bikers came out and gave me a beer to drink while I waited.
    >
    >For all of those that love to criticise virtually everything, the tires were fairly new and were
    >supposed to have the kelvar lining. Also for those obnoxious critics, I acknowledge that I may have
    >mispelled kelvar.

    You're supposed to type [smash cut] between those paragraphs, dude.

    Nice segue, tho.

    -B What kind of beer?
     
  15. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:48:34 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>After a while, boxing, basketball, all terminology just meshes into a finely tuned amalgam...
    >
    >I was trying to be nice.

    I'm still picking up the lingo and subtlety around here.

    Is Fab a real person? Are you a pair of gloves and a donut?

    -B
     
  16. On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:10:37 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:37:06 GMT, B a r r y <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 27 Feb 2004 16:49:02 -0800, [email protected] (Bill Meredith) wrote:
    >>
    >>>In any case I always found a warm welcome, and motor bikers who are somewhat surprise that anyone
    >>>would be fifty miles or so from home on a two wheelers without a large motor somewhere on it.
    >>>
    >>>Bill Meredith
    >>
    >>
    >>At my local biker bars, it seems that many of the patrons are armed. This keeps everyone behaved,
    >>in a weird wild west sort of way. <G>
    >>
    >>I've also ben told more than once that walking into such a place with spandex on demonstrates
    >>balls of brass, but I'm 6'1", 225 lbs. as well.
    >
    >Plus, the kind of shape you're in you could probably kick some ass, as well as run away and then
    >turn suddenly and confront a seriously gassed guy (who already is packin two bowie knives, and a
    >couple big handguns. But these guys do a 'pile on', they don't fight normal.

    "pile on" *is* normal. everything else is fancy.

    -Luigi

    "Come at me one at a time, as the customs of chivalry demand--or all at once, as is the habit and
    bad usage of your rabble!"
    - don Quixote de la Mancha
     
  17. On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:02:30 GMT, Clyde Ferndock

    >Last summer, after my third flat tire, I stopped at a local biker bar on 60 highway just west of
    >Springfield, MO. I didn't go in, but I did sit on the edge of a large concrete porch in front of
    >the bar while I waited for my wife to retreive me and my bike. I had sat there only a few minutes
    >when one of the bikers came out and gave me a beer to drink while I waited.
    >

    Now that's the kind of solidarity I like from our motorized two-wheeled cousins. I always wave at
    motorcyclists where I am. They usually wave back.

    I also get on very well with our local motorcycle policemen.

    >For all of those that love to criticise virtually everything, the tires were fairly new and were
    >supposed to have the kelvar lining. Also for those obnoxious critics, I acknowledge that I may have
    >mispelled kelvar.

    Hey relax. it takes a lot more than misspelling to be flamed around here. You can get around the
    spelling and trademark issues by saying "aramid". And punctures are weird--you can go for years
    without a single puncture, and then, one day, with seemingly-impervious tires, a tiny shard of glass
    has to come in and ruin your day.

    Consider it practice; the more punctures you learn to repair, the faster you get at repairing them !
    <g> I'm awfully slow at puncture repair....

    -Luigi www.livejournal.com/users/ouij Photos, Rants, Raves
     
  18. On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:30:46 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:48:34 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>>After a while, boxing, basketball, all terminology just meshes into a finely tuned amalgam...
    >>
    >>I was trying to be nice.
    >
    >I'm still picking up the lingo and subtlety around here.
    >
    >Is Fab a real person? Are you a pair of gloves and a donut?
    >

    Fab is a real persona, if not a real person.

    Eric leads an AMAZING DOUBLE LIFE as....BANANAMAN!

    -Luigi watched too many cartoons as a kid.

    >-B
     
  19. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Badger_South <[email protected]> writes:

    > Is Fab a real person?

    Yes. So was Ty Cobb. Fabrizio is too outspoken and too geranimal for r.b.r, so r.b.m kindly affords
    him some refuge.

    At his age, I'm surprised he keeps going but he does. If he's not careful some multinational gene-
    fanagling corporation is going to take out a patent on his DNA. Then all the racing sponsors
    will have to purchase licenses to race Fabrizio clones, and Fab himself will get sweet f. all
    out of the deal.

    Maybe it's already happened. Maybe there's a Fabrizio or two in /your/ locale.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca
     
  20. "B a r r y" <Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup_ple[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > If I were a 5'4", 130 lb. man, things may be different.

    That describes my old riding buddy, "Luvs Hills" Lester, except he might have been shorter. Legs and
    lungs of steel -- he could just purr up any slope. He also rode a motorcycle, too -- struck me as
    someone who probably would have done ok with both sets of two-wheeling folks.

    It's funny how you don't notice someone's height that much while you're on a bike. I rode with him
    hundreds of miles before I really noticed how short he was. But I tend not to notice those sorts of
    things, anyway.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Email me re: the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)
     
Loading...
Loading...