Bikes and beer.

BikeBikeBikeBike

May 19, 2015
I personally love beer, and I love bikes too.
Those two interest developed in my life pretty much separately.
BUT I have noticed bike culture embraces beer more then any other beverage, they really go hand in hand.
I wonder why? Anyone have any insights into this?
If not, what's a go-to local brew you can suggest.
Also have to add that good craftsmanship is alive and well in both bikes and beer.
Cheers!

While I like a few beers myself every now and again, I'm not sure I'd say that bikes and beer go together as much as what you say.

Most of the cyclists I know don't drink alcohol at all, and it's usually water or energy drinks instead.

Here in the UK, you'll often find cyclists might go for a ride and then stop off at a local pub for a beer and something to eat, but that's just something that they've always done.

Bikes and beer ha! What was surprising to me is the number of cyclists on bike forums complaining about bad and drunk drivers. Then we did a forum ride of 75 miles. We all met and had a meal after the ride at a restaurant. About 25% of the riders had more than their share of beer. Then got in their cars and drove home. One lady got pretty wasted so quite a few people tried to stop her from getting in her car. She got pretty belligerent so the others backed off. Really found out that day about bikes and beer. She was one of the biggest outspoken cyclists right activists on the board and probably the most drunk too! :eek:

After the ride, I decided to avoid this group. I wanted nothing to do with that ****!

Reactions: Bicycleman
I've never really noticed a connection between bikes and beer, but then again I don't drink a hole bunch so that probably explains why. This thread kinda reminds me of that video of that Southern US guy arrested for riding his bike drunk who proceeds to scream "AH KNOW MAH RIGHTS".

It's pretty funny :D

I have to admit that like I said, I do know a few cyclists that will stop off at a pub after a ride, but they don't get drunk and then carry on cycling. The most they'll have is say two pints after a bite to eat, and it's more if a sociable thing than anything else.

I myself don't know the laws as to riding over the limit, but if it doesn't bring similar punishment to drink driving then maybe it should do?

I can't figure out this new crave for cyclists and beer, it must be some sort of fad, like golf and beer use to be.

Having said that, I don't drink much, I only have beer when I go out to restaurant and then, like the mantra that steel is real, I only drink real dark beer not that **** water they call beer, or the new girly fruity beers. Dark beer is real beer, everything else is just ****.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
I have to admit that like I said, I do know a few cyclists that will stop off at a pub after a ride, but they don't get drunk and then carry on cycling. The most they'll have is say two pints after a bite to eat, and it's more if a sociable thing than anything else.

I myself don't know the laws as to riding over the limit, but if it doesn't bring similar punishment to drink driving then maybe it should do?

I think if a cop saw someone riding around, swaying from side to side and such I'm sure they would investigate and at least advise them not to continue riding in a drunk state. I'm not sure on the laws but I think it is an offence to operate any sort of vehicle while under the influence.

I think if a cop saw someone riding around, swaying from side to side and such I'm sure they would investigate and at least advise them not to continue riding in a drunk state. I'm not sure on the laws but I think it is an offence to operate any sort of vehicle while under the influence.

Actually a cop can arrest a cyclist who is riding drunk due to some state interpreting a bike as vehicle thus a DUI is in order; if however you live in a state that does not define a bike as a vehicle then they can arrest you for public intoxication and or reckless driving; and even a person walking drunk in ANY state can be arrested for public intoxication.

Actually a cop can arrest a cyclist who is riding drunk due to some state interpreting a bike as vehicle thus a DUI is in order; if however you live in a state that does not define a bike as a vehicle then they can arrest you for public intoxication and or reckless driving; and even a person walking drunk in ANY state can be arrested for public intoxication.

That I did not know :)

The UK is pretty different I think though. If you're seen walking around drunk the cops will leave you alone, or at least ask if you're ok and then go on their way. They only seem to intervene if the person is flat out drunk to the point they cannot stand, they then get taken to the hospital or something.

I can't figure out this new crave for cyclists and beer, it must be some sort of fad, like golf and beer use to be.

Having said that, I don't drink much, I only have beer when I go out to restaurant and then, like the mantra that steel is real, I only drink real dark beer not that **** water they call beer, or the new girly fruity beers. Dark beer is real beer, everything else is just ****.

I was in a sanctioned metric century back in November that was hosted by the local Chamber of Commerce, and they offered tickets for a beer after the ride. I'm no elite athlete, but I just don't drink the stuff, and don't see any use for it afterwards. It is nothing more than a diuretic, which works against you after a hard ride. You need to replenish your liquids not lose it. I gave away my beer ticket to others who wanted to imbibe, but I was just as glad to toss it as well.

I got a reckless driving ticket for rear ending a car after the lady stopped in front of me. The judge threw the case out, but I was a victim of an overzealous police officer. If I had been convicted of the charge, it would have stayed on my record for life and my driving record for 11 years, even though I wasn't operating an automobile. I would have seen a spike in my auto insurance as well. Here in Va. it is against the law to text while driving, but it's okay to talk on it while driving, yet you will get a reckless driving ticket on a bicycle.

That I did not know :)

The UK is pretty different I think though. If you're seen walking around drunk the cops will leave you alone, or at least ask if you're ok and then go on their way. They only seem to intervene if the person is flat out drunk to the point they cannot stand, they then get taken to the hospital or something.

In America it's all about raising revenue for the local economy so yep public intoxication is a offense that can generate revenue that in any other country would just be a no big deal thing, we use to be that way but not anymore.

I got a reckless driving ticket for rear ending a car after the lady stopped in front of me. The judge threw the case out, but I was a victim of an overzealous police officer. If I had been convicted of the charge, it would have stayed on my record for life and my driving record for 11 years, even though I wasn't operating an automobile. I would have seen a spike in my auto insurance as well. Here in Va. it is against the law to text while driving, but it's okay to talk on it while driving, yet you will get a reckless driving ticket on a bicycle.
I think it should be illegal to either talk or message on a phone while driving; while I think that to most cyclists that the law to cite a reckless cyclist seems in to be an offense against cyclists but on the other hand when I see cyclists ride their bikes like I do it kind of makes sense to do so! When a cyclist is riding in a unsafe manner it puts the cyclist into harms way of motorists, if the motorist makes an emergency maneuver to avoid the cyclist and hits a car or a pedestrian and kills someone then the cyclist is at blame but they usually leave the scene so now the driver of the car is at fault, so yes I agree if a cyclist is riding unsafely they should be charged as such.

I was in a sanctioned metric century back in November that was hosted by the local Chamber of Commerce, and they offered tickets for a beer after the ride. I'm no elite athlete, but I just don't drink the stuff, and don't see any use for it afterwards. It is nothing more than a diuretic, which works against you after a hard ride. You need to replenish your liquids not lose it. I gave away my beer ticket to others who wanted to imbibe, but I was just as glad to toss it as well.
I agree; like I said the only time I ever have a beer (only dark as mentioned before) is at a restaurant that serves good beer, and I'll only have one; I average about one beer every other month. I just don't have a need for alcohol, weed, or some drug to relax me, I'm plenty relaxed after riding a bike!! And on the days I can't ride and I might get a bit unrelaxed I just listen to music.

Sounds like a crappy situation you got involved in, sorry to hear about it :(

The laws over here are far from perfect and have an equal amount of stupidity to them. The latest one which just passed was the banning of smoking in cars while a child is present, but what if others are in the car too? You can also get a ticket for texting while driving but you can talk on bluetooth which seems to be just the same distraction only without holding it. Interestingly the texting law does not apply to cyclists here.

In America it's all about raising revenue for the local economy so yep public intoxication is a offense that can generate revenue that in any other country would just be a no big deal thing, we use to be that way but not anymore.

Over here it's all about parking tickets to bring in the revenue. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more stuff being cracked down on to raise some money seeing as the police services have been hacked to hell in cutbacks...

Reactions: pwarbi
In the UK it seems like the easiest way to bring money in is to target the road users. Any road user, from a cyclist to an HGV is just seen as a potential fine, even if they haven't done anything wrong.

From the hidden speed cameras, hidden traffic police, hidden traffic wardens, they're certainly making it clear that put one step out of line and you WILL be given a fine.

Over here it's all about parking tickets to bring in the revenue. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more stuff being cracked down on to raise some money seeing as the police services have been hacked to hell in cutbacks...
We get parking tickets here, in fact in some large cities it's a racket! In Los Angeles for example during the work hours certain streets open up a lane on each side of the road for cars to park, then a huge fleet of ticket buggies wait for 5 pm and then they go as fast as they can, writing tickets on the run and slapping them on windshields of cars even with if the owners are at their car trying to leave!

LOL. That is true. There is even a "biketoberfest" bike ride of local breweries in these parts. Notice the sign...

Attachments

• 1393423_558434817561450_1113248414_n.jpg
    1393423_558434817561450_1113248414_n.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 19
I always thought that nature had a way of selecting for people who liked to mix cycling and beer - or rather, deselecting them from the gene pool!

But no, I'm only joking. Recreational cycling does have an association with pub grub and long country rides. I've been on many of them myself.....