Bikes and body weight

carted00

Oct 9, 2004
So, we all have a fair idea about how we arrive at our ideal frame size by measuring inside leg, arm reach etc. but is there any rule of thumb for the type of frame you should be looking at dependant on your body weight.

I'm 14st ish at the moment but will get back down to 12ish.

At my current weight, am I going to be 'straining' an 853 or columbus slx frame, should I be looking at a lower spec frame. Or is it more to do with the wheels on the bike?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Bike fit and the ability of the bike to handle one's weight are two completely seperate issues. If you're saying that you wiegh 14 stone (which is what I think st means :eek: ), that's only about 196 pounds. That's really not that heavy at all in terms of what a bike can handle. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to ride an 853 or SLX frame and I weigh over 200 pounds. Make sure the bikes that you're interested in don't have a manufacturer specified weight limitation that's less than what you weigh (the vast majority do not). Your biggest concern should be getting a frame that fits you properly and that you're comfortable on. Good luck!

carted00 said:
So, we all have a fair idea about how we arrive at our ideal frame size by measuring inside leg, arm reach etc. but is there any rule of thumb for the type of frame you should be looking at dependant on your body weight.

I'm 14st ish at the moment but will get back down to 12ish.

At my current weight, am I going to be 'straining' an 853 or columbus slx frame, should I be looking at a lower spec frame. Or is it more to do with the wheels on the bike?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

wheels and fork are the parts that you should keep an eye on, especially carbon forks. campagnolo parts for example are intended for 80kg riders.

boudreaux said:
That's BS! :rolleyes:

check out campas FAQ section on their website. that's what they say, they're not saying the parts are not working for heavier riders.