bikes and crosswalks

"Viktor Mikhailovich Polesov" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > choice between hoofing it and dealing with you pricks, and driving my
> 10MPG beast 1 mile to the store, I'll drive every time. If you don't like my SUV, well, sorry, but
> that's just too damn bad. Vote for Gore TELL US. WHAT IS YOUR PANT SIZE? 46" 52" WAIST?
You tell us how bad "some bicycle riders are" but you neglect to talk about drivers. I've been hit
twice and run off the road once from dumb, fat, lazy assed people in SUV's! So inconsiderate drivers
are not just on bikes you know! Furthermore, just last week a car load of fat girls drove by me
yelling obsenities out the window. Well I sprinted after them and cought up to them at the nest stop
sign and gave them my point of view!

they also don't stop for stop signs, ride in the center of the street, disregarding traffic, don't
signal, etc.

At least, the type you have had the unfortunate luck to meet.

So many cyclists have no regard for the law or respect for others on the road. I, as a 30+ year
veteran of cycliing, have seen it all too many times.

Mostly, though, it's the "weekend warriors". The Lance/LeMond wannabe's and wish-they-were's, who in
reality have little grasp on the sport.

Let them deal with a couple months of rush hour commute. If they survive, they'll gain a fresh
respect for other users (and crossers) of the road.

Ok, I'm getting of my soap-box now :-3)

"Marcel Beaudoin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> OK, didn't know. Here in Canada, there are ****-and-scoop
laws, but that is
> about it.

That's because Canadians are more capable of civility than Americans, and less prone to pettiness.

Matt O.

>>>I'd like to see that ribbon.

>>I found it.

>I got a 'blue-ribbon' from a pedestrian.

>She was crossing the street with a child when an opposing cyclist blew the stop sign and cut them
>off in the crosswalk. I was dabbed at the line watching it unfold. When they got across the street,
>she said to me, "You win the blue-ribbon today". I dead-panned, "Lady, I've got a drawer full of
>them already but that's the first one today, thanks"

Ah, the Spontaneous Award of Dubious Merit, being given to said recipient in recognition of Good
Citizenship, Lack of Intent to Commit Vehicular Homicide, and Recognition of Which Side of the Toast
Has Butter on It.

Congratulations, it was well deserved.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

"Scott Lindstrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky wrote:
> > [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>I stop for
>
> > [snip]
>

> >>snakes,
>
> > Where I encounter snakes is when they come out to the bike path to warm themselves in the sun.
> > By the time I see them, I've already run over them. I feel rather bad about that. Then again,
> > I'm probably the only cyclist that dodges earthworms.
>
> I was out for a ride on Saturday morning, and there were 100s of worms on the bike path. I felt
> many twinges of guilt as I ran over some of them. I was trying to dodge them.
>
> This is in contrast to later in the season when on a morning with heavy dew, slugs cover the path.
> (Small, dime-size slugs). I ride over those without a second thought.

You must be a gardener.

Here in the redwoods we have "Banana Slugs". They are yellow, about 6 inches long and an inch in
diameter. An integral icon of the redwood ecosystem. When I first moved here I went to a redwood
state park where I came upon a group of preschoolers singing a catchy tune about the baaaaa naaaaa
naaaaa slugs. The children were animated with all kinds of timed gestures and gave me a high energy
uplift. I have found banana slugs endearing ever since. I don't know if the local gardeners have a
problem with them. I would think not since it's too dark to grow anything where they are found.

> >>birds
> >

> > What dumb bird is there out there in San Diego for you to nearly run over? Around here, they're
> > smart enough to fly out of the way. I guess the one exception I can think of right off was a
> > quail running her little chicks across the path one warm afternoon. I did slow down and let them
> > pass before continuing on -- they were really cute.
> >

> I saw 13 turkeys off to the side of the bikepath on Saturday also -- in a corn field, foraging. 10
> hens, 3 strutting toms -- kinda cool. They're wily enough to avoid the path, however.
>
> The big bird pain on this path is Canada Geese. What a vicious bird. I never feel comfortable
> biking anywhere near them.
>
> Scott

> [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > >Why is it that bicyclists NEVER stop for pedestrians in crosswalks?
> >
> > I stop for
>
> [snip]
>
> > cats,
>
> I don't think I've ever encountered a cat crossing my path while bicycling
>
> > dogs,
>
> Dogs are an interesting category. I tend to treat loose dogs as predators, and I see no reason to
> make myself an easier prey by slowing, much less by stopping. A dog on a leash is a completely
> different type of animal than a dog on its own. Dogs on leashes are treated like pedestrians they
> are connected to.
>
> [snip]
>
> > rabbits,
>
> I have flushed rabbits from the undergrowth, but I have never had one cross my path.
>
> > lizards,
>
> We don't have these here.
>
> > squirrels,
>
> That killer squirrel webpage of Mike's says it all.
>
> > snakes,
>
> Where I encounter snakes is when they come out to the bike path to warm themselves in the sun. By
> the time I see them, I've already run over them. I feel rather bad about that. Then again, I'm
> probably the only cyclist that dodges earthworms.

I regularly dodge potato bugs.

> > birds
>
> What dumb bird is there out there in San Diego for you to nearly run over? Around here, they're
> smart enough to fly out of the way. I guess the one exception I can think of right off was a quail
> running her little chicks across the path one warm afternoon. I did slow down and let them pass
> before continuing on -- they were really cute.

Don't forget the butterflies. They are so unpredictable and bring about huge amounts of remorse when
you hit one. But just like the magical elusive creatures that they are, you are usually left with a
feeling of wonder and hope because you can't tell if they made it or not.

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
:> I stop for
: [snip]
:> cats, dogs, rabbits, lizards, squirrels, snakes, birds

No one mentioned turtles??? For some reason known only to turtles they seem seem to enjoy making
pilgrimages back and forth between the river and the parkland and sports feilds - right across the
MU trail. And they don't get out of your way very quickly.

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

In article <[email protected]>, Fritz M <[email protected]+> wrote:

> Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I saw 13 turkeys off to the side of the bikepath on Saturday also -- in a corn field, foraging.
> > 10 hens, 3 strutting toms -- kinda cool. They're wily enough to avoid the path, however.
>
> One of the treats in cycling is the ability to see wildlife up close. I've passed close to
> pheasants, owls, hawks, eagles, shrews, lizards, snakes, elk, deer, American bison, earthworms
> :), dogs, cats and various other critters. Last week, a pair of prairie dogs ran next to me on
> the side of the road. I had just passed them up when they each dived into their holes. I nearly
> hit a fox last year that darted across the road in front of me.
>
> A couple nights ago I was riding a trail near my house when I encountered a mountain lion; THAT
> scared the ### out of me and I'm very glad she ran away. "I tot I taw a puddy tat!" It was a
> little cat, about the size of a large rottweiler or so.
>
> RFM

A great privilege to sight an animal like that. Even better she didn't go for you! I guess the
ultimate bike/puma confrontation is at the very end of Mike's killer squirrel page

http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com/squirrels.htm

Doug Kanter wrote:

> > dog criminal???
> >

> Yes. People who take their dogs off their property, and accompany them as they "visit" other
> peoples' property. It's illegal virtually everywhere there are laws regarding sanitation,
> regardless of whether they clean up after their dogs.

Dog diapers?

Don't talk to me about turtles, those little smartarses always give me a dirty look when they drop
me going up the hills. Must those Aero shells they have.

--
Cheers Damian Harvey

This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote, plug for own business in caps and large,
bad ASCII art.

[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> People who jaywalk in front of oncoming bicycles are indeed a problem -- they're often prone to
> underestimating the speed and stoppability of the bike.

I'm on my bike, zipping down 3rd Ave downtown. This is where it levels out, near the retail core.

A couple of my co-workers are jay-walking across 3rd. Byron, the one with the large posterior, stops
in the middle of the road and thinks it funny to stick his booty out. I yelled at him because I
nearly hit that big booty. It wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stopped dead and poked it out.
Jesus. The other guy, Gary, said, "I had no idea you could go that fast." Guess what, guys.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Stopping in the middle of the road is a noble gesture, but it'll get you killed. Two years ago, an
> elderly woman here hit two 10 yr old girls standing ON THE CURB.

I fail to the similarity between the middle of the road and the curb. Cyclists take the lane so they
can be seen. Anything outside of the lane (like on the curb) is invisible to many motorists.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

"Fritz M" <[email protected]+> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Stopping in the middle of the road is a noble gesture, but it'll get you killed. Two years ago,
> > an elderly woman here hit two 10 yr old girls standing ON THE CURB.
>
> I fail to the similarity between the middle of the road and the curb. Cyclists take the lane so
> they can be seen. Anything outside of the lane (like on the curb) is invisible to many motorists.

I was simply pointing out that in the United States, we don't have the fortitude to face the fact
that people *do* reach a certain age where they're too blind to drive. In the example I mentioned,
the girls should've been safer on the curb, which was a newly installed 7" granite thing with a
sharp top edge. The driver managed to hit them anyway. Why did she even decide to head for the curb
on a street with a lane and a half in each direction?

Fritz M wrote:

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Stopping in the middle of the road is a noble gesture, but it'll get you killed. Two years ago,
> > an elderly woman here hit two 10 yr old girls standing ON THE CURB.
>
> I fail to the similarity between the middle of the road and the curb. Cyclists take the lane so
> they can be seen. Anything outside of the lane (like on the curb) is invisible to many motorists.
>
> RFM
> --
> To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

It's been experienced by many urban cyclists, bicycle commuters, couriers, etc. You are safer taking
the lane than than skirting the edge of the road. If you are in plain sight, you won't get run over,
drivers will change lanes and pass. (or stop behind you) Bernie

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Fritz M" <[email protected]+> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > Stopping in the middle of the road is a noble gesture, but it'll get you killed. Two years
> > > ago, an elderly woman here hit two 10 yr old girls standing ON THE CURB.
> >
> > I fail to the similarity between the middle of the road and the curb. Cyclists take the lane so
> > they can be seen. Anything outside of the lane (like on the curb) is invisible to many
> > motorists.
> >

> I was simply pointing out that in the United States, we don't have the fortitude to face the fact
> that people *do* reach a certain age where they're too blind to drive. In the example I mentioned,
> the girls should've been safer on the curb, which was a newly installed 7" granite thing with a
> sharp top edge. The driver managed to hit them anyway. Why did she even decide to head for the
> curb on a street with a lane and a half in each direction?

I understand the old age driver problem. It sounds like bad luck for the girls. Couldn't she, for
the same reason (incompetence) just as easily crashed into the side of a house? Bernie

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > I stop for
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > cats,
> >
> > I don't think I've ever encountered a cat crossing my path while bicycling
>
> Claire, you must have a large number of Chinese restaurants in your neighborhood. :)

Don't you like chinese food Doug?

Tim.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Viktor
Mikhailovich Polesov) writes:

>Why is it that bicyclists NEVER stop for pedestrians in crosswalks?
>
>As a pedestrian, I have NEVER ONCE had a bike stop for me when crossing a crosswalk, ever. Nor have
>I EVER ONCE seen a bike stop for any pedestrian, ever. If a bicyclist anywhere in the world has
>ever once stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, it has not been my good fortune to see it. Even
>when the cars are stopped, the bikes ALWAYS try to whiz through. Always.

I went to a conference 2 years ago at Stanford University. A co-worker and I were walking across
campus, and came to a street where a cyclist was neering the intersection. We both stopped,
expecting the guy to blow the stop sign. He didn't. He stopped, allowed us to cross, then took off
again. Us pedestrians were QUITE surprised, and chuckled about it for a couple of minutes...<g>

Eldred
--
Homepage - http://www.umich.edu/~epickett GPLRank:-1.950 MonsterRank: +305.145 N2002 Rank:+17.59

Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you with experience... Remove
SPAM-OFF to reply.

> That's why the smart people eat in Vancouver, with a vast
number of
> Chinese restaurants from the nausea-inducing to the
sublime, and most
> very cheap, a combo of the Canuck buck and an overheated
restaurant
> culture.
>
> If you like a fusion/modern spin on your Chinese, I
recommend trying a
> place in town called Wild Rice.

An interesting thing about Vancouver is that everything has an Asian fusion spin, in the same way
that everything in the southwest has a Mexican spin, and snooty restaurants everywhere have a
French spin.

If you want a glimpse of the future, go to Vancouver. Remember, at least 1/4 of the world's
population eats Chinese food. Get with the program!

BTW, where is Wild Rice?

Matt O.

"Viktor Mikhailovich Polesov" <[email protected]>
> Why is it that bicyclists NEVER stop for pedestrians in crosswalks?
>
> As a pedestrian, I have NEVER ONCE had a bike stop for me when crossing a crosswalk, ever.

Bicyclists (many, certainly the most serious) have this odd behavior... "like the rules don't apply
to me... because I'm in my team colours and ridin' an expensive bike".

fwiw