bikes and crosswalks

"F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Bicyclists (many, certainly the most serious) have this odd behavior... "like the rules don't
> apply to me... because I'm in my team colours and ridin' an expensive bike".

Hey F. what happened to your self-esteem therapy? If you feel intimidated, then stay off the
damn road.

"EldredP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Viktor
> Mikhailovich Polesov) writes:
>
> >Why is it that bicyclists NEVER stop for pedestrians in crosswalks?
> >
> >As a pedestrian, I have NEVER ONCE had a bike stop for me when crossing a crosswalk, ever. Nor
> >have I EVER ONCE seen a bike stop for any pedestrian, ever. If a bicyclist anywhere in the world
> >has ever once stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, it has not been my good fortune to see it.
> >Even when the cars are stopped, the bikes ALWAYS try to whiz through. Always.
>
> I went to a conference 2 years ago at Stanford University. A co-worker
and I
> were walking across campus, and came to a street where a cyclist was
neering
> the intersection. We both stopped, expecting the guy to blow the stop
sign.
> He didn't. He stopped, allowed us to cross, then took off again. Us pedestrians were QUITE
> surprised, and chuckled about it for a couple of minutes...<g>

This is exactly what I do. I also tell the ped's to "use your rights, or they'll lose them".

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > That's why the smart people eat in Vancouver, with a vast
> number of
> > Chinese restaurants from the nausea-inducing to the
> sublime, and most
> > very cheap, a combo of the Canuck buck and an overheated
> restaurant
> > culture.
> >
> > If you like a fusion/modern spin on your Chinese, I
> recommend trying a
> > place in town called Wild Rice.
>
> An interesting thing about Vancouver is that everything has an Asian fusion spin, in the same way
> that everything in the southwest has a Mexican spin, and snooty restaurants everywhere have a
> French spin.
>
> If you want a glimpse of the future, go to Vancouver. Remember, at least 1/4 of the world's
> population eats Chinese food. Get with the program!
>
> BTW, where is Wild Rice?

117 W. Pender, which is kitty-corner from the Tinseltown Cinema.

Full disclosure: I'm good friends with the owner's brother. But it is very well-reviewed. Won best
new restaurant in the Georgia Straight two years in a row, which is an interesting feat.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]>

> Hey F. what happened to your self-esteem therapy? If you feel intimidated, then stay off the
> damn road.

It takes something more than a fool dressed up in a clown suit on a bike to intimidate... most
normal folks.

You should stand up every once in a while when you ride your bike Ms. Mozzarella... take some
pressure off your ego.

And... you should really do something about your bigotry.

fwiw

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > [snip]

> > > I don't think I've ever encountered a cat crossing my path while bicycling
> >
> > Claire, you must have a large number of Chinese restaurants in your neighborhood. :)
> >

> Don't you like chinese food Doug?

Yes, and I love cats, too. When spending time with one, I try not to think of the other. :)

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Fritz M wrote:
>
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Stopping in the middle of the road is a noble gesture, but it'll get you killed. Two years
> > > ago, an elderly woman here hit two 10 yr old girls standing ON THE CURB.
> >
> > I fail to the similarity between the middle of the road and the curb. Cyclists take the lane so
> > they can be seen. Anything outside of the
lane
> > (like on the curb) is invisible to many motorists.
> >
> > 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t
>
> It's been experienced by many urban cyclists, bicycle commuters, couriers, etc. You are safer
> taking the lane than than skirting the edge of the
road.
> If you are in plain sight, you won't get run over, drivers will change
lanes
> and pass. (or stop behind you) Bernie

We shall see. I'm about to try commuting again. I can't believe I'm saying this, though, since I
have a firm belief that 90% of automobile drivers aren't qualified to operate a can opener without
supervision.

"Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> One of the older gents in our church has a son who taught
english in
> China for two years. He said the rule of thumb for the
chinese was "if
> you can catch it, you can eat it."

Or -- "If you can't catch it, you don't eat."

Matt O.

"Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected] et...
> >
> > > The best Chinese restaurants in the world are in
> > Seattle. If you
> > > are strictly a vege/piscatarian, you don't have to worry
> > about dietary
> > > felines.
> >
> > The best Chinese restaurants are in China, where a little feline in the diet is enjoyed
> > occasionally.
> >
> > Matt O.
> >

> One of the older gents in our church has a son who taught english in China for two years. He said
> the rule of thumb for the chinese was "if you can catch it, you can eat it."

Is China in Souther Illinois?

--
Robin (Slower Illinois Boy) Hubert <[email protected]