bikes and crosswalks

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Viktor Mikhailo, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Bicyclists (many, certainly the most serious) have this odd behavior... "like the rules don't
    > apply to me... because I'm in my team colours and ridin' an expensive bike".

    Hey F. what happened to your self-esteem therapy? If you feel intimidated, then stay off the
    damn road.

  2. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "EldredP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Viktor
    > Mikhailovich Polesov) writes:
    >
    > >Why is it that bicyclists NEVER stop for pedestrians in crosswalks?
    > >
    > >As a pedestrian, I have NEVER ONCE had a bike stop for me when crossing a crosswalk, ever. Nor
    > >have I EVER ONCE seen a bike stop for any pedestrian, ever. If a bicyclist anywhere in the world
    > >has ever once stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, it has not been my good fortune to see it.
    > >Even when the cars are stopped, the bikes ALWAYS try to whiz through. Always.
    >
    > I went to a conference 2 years ago at Stanford University. A co-worker
    and I
    > were walking across campus, and came to a street where a cyclist was
    neering
    > the intersection. We both stopped, expecting the guy to blow the stop
    sign.
    > He didn't. He stopped, allowed us to cross, then took off again. Us pedestrians were QUITE
    > surprised, and chuckled about it for a couple of minutes...<g>

    This is exactly what I do. I also tell the ped's to "use your rights, or they'll lose them".

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  3. In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > That's why the smart people eat in Vancouver, with a vast
    > number of
    > > Chinese restaurants from the nausea-inducing to the
    > sublime, and most
    > > very cheap, a combo of the Canuck buck and an overheated
    > restaurant
    > > culture.
    > >
    > > If you like a fusion/modern spin on your Chinese, I
    > recommend trying a
    > > place in town called Wild Rice.
    >
    > An interesting thing about Vancouver is that everything has an Asian fusion spin, in the same way
    > that everything in the southwest has a Mexican spin, and snooty restaurants everywhere have a
    > French spin.
    >
    > If you want a glimpse of the future, go to Vancouver. Remember, at least 1/4 of the world's
    > population eats Chinese food. Get with the program!
    >
    > BTW, where is Wild Rice?

    117 W. Pender, which is kitty-corner from the Tinseltown Cinema.

    Full disclosure: I'm good friends with the owner's brother. But it is very well-reviewed. Won best
    new restaurant in the Georgia Straight two years in a row, which is an interesting feat.

  4. F. Golightly

    F. Golightly Guest

    "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]>

    > Hey F. what happened to your self-esteem therapy? If you feel intimidated, then stay off the
    > damn road.

    It takes something more than a fool dressed up in a clown suit on a bike to intimidate... most
    normal folks.

    You should stand up every once in a while when you ride your bike Ms. Mozzarella... take some
    pressure off your ego.

    And... you should really do something about your bigotry.

    fwiw

  5. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > [snip]

    > > > I don't think I've ever encountered a cat crossing my path while bicycling
    > >
    > > Claire, you must have a large number of Chinese restaurants in your neighborhood. :)
    > >

    > Don't you like chinese food Doug?

    Yes, and I love cats, too. When spending time with one, I try not to think of the other. :)

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Fritz M wrote:
    >
    > > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Stopping in the middle of the road is a noble gesture, but it'll get you killed. Two years
    > > > ago, an elderly woman here hit two 10 yr old girls standing ON THE CURB.
    > >
    > > I fail to the similarity between the middle of the road and the curb. Cyclists take the lane so
    > > they can be seen. Anything outside of the
    lane
    > > (like on the curb) is invisible to many motorists.
    > >
    > > 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t
    >
    > It's been experienced by many urban cyclists, bicycle commuters, couriers, etc. You are safer
    > taking the lane than than skirting the edge of the
    road.
    > If you are in plain sight, you won't get run over, drivers will change
    lanes
    > and pass. (or stop behind you) Bernie

    We shall see. I'm about to try commuting again. I can't believe I'm saying this, though, since I
    have a firm belief that 90% of automobile drivers aren't qualified to operate a can opener without
    supervision.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > One of the older gents in our church has a son who taught
    english in
    > China for two years. He said the rule of thumb for the
    chinese was "if
    > you can catch it, you can eat it."

    Or -- "If you can't catch it, you don't eat."

    Matt O.

  8. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected] et...
    > >
    > > > The best Chinese restaurants in the world are in
    > > Seattle. If you
    > > > are strictly a vege/piscatarian, you don't have to worry
    > > about dietary
    > > > felines.
    > >
    > > The best Chinese restaurants are in China, where a little feline in the diet is enjoyed
    > > occasionally.
    > >
    > > Matt O.
    > >

    > One of the older gents in our church has a son who taught english in China for two years. He said
    > the rule of thumb for the chinese was "if you can catch it, you can eat it."

    Is China in Souther Illinois?

    --
    Robin (Slower Illinois Boy) Hubert <[email protected]