Bikes and Ham Radio

KØHb

Guest
Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and relaxation. My bike is a Marin
"Redwoods" model.

One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my belt for "company" and
possible means of summoning help (I ride on some rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm
looking for a plug-in lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
which I could situate on the handlebars.

Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?

--
ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
--

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:16:53 GMT, "KØHB" <kØ[email protected]> wrote:

>Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and relaxation. My bike is a Marin
>"Redwoods" model.
>
>One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my belt for "company" and
>possible means of summoning help (I ride on some rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm
>looking for a plug-in lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
>which I could situate on the handlebars.
>
>Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?
>
>--
>ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB

If you haven't already check out the MH-37A4B. That may be what your looking for.

Even if it isn't, post an update if you find one and use it for a while. I found nothing that could
hold up to daily use on a Motorola Radius.

"KØHB" <kØ[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and relaxation. My bike is a Marin
> "Redwoods" model.
>
> One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my belt for "company" and
> possible means of summoning help (I ride on some rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm
> looking for a plug-in lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
> which I could situate on the handlebars.
>
> Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?
>
> --
> ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB

Ham Radio Outlet sells an earpiece with a small boom mike. I don't recall the model number or
manufacturer but I use them with both a VX1 and an FT50. I use it more to listen to PBS or the
ballgame while riding than hamming. The PTT switch could be mounted on the handlebar but I find it
more convenient to clip it too my shirt collar. Most of my hamming/cycling occurs during endurance
events when I communicate to my crew (also hams) in the support van. Moving my hand to my jersey
collar to press the mic button has never been a problem.

73s, Tom

In rec.radio.amateur.misc KØHB <kØ[email protected]> wrote:
: Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and ... I'm looking for a plug-in
: lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch which I could situate on
: the handlebars.

: Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?

A year or two ago I got a little gadget from Radio Shack (their catalog number 21-1832) which is an
adapter for a cell phone headset that functions as either a PTT switch or a VOX unit. It uses one
AAA cell (needed for VOX only), it has a standard dual plug that fits my old HTX-202 as well as my
newer ADI HT-204. The unit that contains the battery, the circuitry, and the PTT button is about 1"
x 2" and has a clip on the back for attaching to clothing that I think could also be used to hold it
onto some kind of bracket on handlebars. I've used this a little on my bike, but I can't say I've
done an extensive amount of bicycle mobile operation.

73, Al N1AW

Al Woodhull [email protected]

"KØHB" <kØ[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and relaxation.
>
> --
> ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
> --

Welcome to the hobby(ies).

You may be interested in the Bicycle Mobile Hams of America (http://bmha.lafetra.com) and/or the
going on" and "a fair amount of activity".

In my case, I've found that a headset provides a lot of transmitted wind noise (although putting
tape over many of the microphone's "vent holes" reduced this problem quite a bit). My
currently-preferred solution is an in-the-ear solution (think of a speakermike stuck in your ear --
including the microphone).

- Skip AA6WK

Radio Shack used to have one that was nice. it could work with just about any radio that had the
small mic jack and the slightly larger ear jack side by side.

I have one here, but the ptt switch has since gone south (use the vox almost exclusively on it
these days).

Check with radio shack or your nearest Ham radio outlet or AEA store.

DE N7ZZT Phoenix, Arizona

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:16:53 +0000, KØHB wrote:

> Recently took up recreational bicycling as a means of exercise and relaxation. My bike is a Marin
> "Redwoods" model.
>
> One of my other hobbies is ham radio, and I carry a Yaesu VX-5R HT on my belt for "company" and
> possible means of summoning help (I ride on some rather isolated rural trails sometimes). I'm
> looking for a plug-in lightweight headset (preferably earbud and throat mike) with a PTT switch
> which I could situate on the handlebars.
>
> Anyone here know of such a unit which works with the Yaesu radios?
>
> --
> ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
> --
> Help support youth involved in Amateur Radio. http://www.mnyarc.org http://www.k0bsa.org

--
the difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.