Bikes and rivers. Any extra post-ride care?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Guest

Out riding today with several river crossings and A LOT of water and mud. Bike ended up 3/4's
    submerged a couple of times. What places should I squirt lubricants or water-displacers like WD40?
    If any at all? Cheers.
    --
    Westie

Tags:

2. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

I've found the best stuff for very muddy rides is Finishline Cross-country Wet. It stays on through the rivers, mud etc, but you'll still need to give everything a good clean afterwards.

Probably the only place you'd want to squirt WD40 is anything that looks like its steel, and therefore might rust - NOT your chain though, you want better stuff on there!

3. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Westie wrote:
    > Out riding today with several river crossings and A LOT of water and mud. Bike ended up 3/4's
    > submerged a couple of times. What places should I squirt lubricants or water-displacers like WD40?
    > If any at all? Cheers.
    > --

Depends on the bike :). I just leave mine out in the sun to dry it out.

David

4. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Out riding today with several river crossings and A LOT of water and mud. Bike ended up 3/4's
    > submerged a couple of times. What places should I squirt lubricants or water-displacers like WD40?
    > If any at all? Cheers.

Hey Westie - All I do is hose the bike down well afterward, and when it's dry, re-lube the chain. I
    may clean out the last section or rear mech cable, lube front and rear mech pivots etc. too.

I've never had problems with the hub bearing - seems Shimano's seals work well there.

Last club ride, I rode several fords, at least 3 were above hub level. Chain and mech cable was all
    that needed doing.

A lot is going to depend on how your bike is built up - the only real ways to know for sure (outside
    of the general) are by close observation, experience, and hints from others that have the same bike
    with the same parts fitted, IMO.

Shaun aRe

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Guest

Don't use WD40 on moving parts... as it is kerosene based and kerosene is a cutting compound and
    will increase the wear on moving parts...

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If any at all? Cheers.
    > --
    > Westie

6. Bomba

Bomba Guest

Westie wrote:
    > If any at all? Cheers.

Make sure all the drainage holes are clear and give it a bit of a shake. You should be able to hear
    any water sloshing about inside. If needs be, pull out the seat post and turn it upside down. Hubs
    should be ok, but I'd be tempted to re-grease the headset, and obviously re-lube the drivetrain and
    the pedals.

As a short anecdote, I was once doing some work on a Raleigh Max, and pulled out the BB which was
    followed by a deluge of rusty water. The drain holes were blocked and it had been sitting in there
    for over a month.

--
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

7. Chris

Chris Guest

"Zoidberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Don't use WD40 on moving parts... as it is kerosene based and kerosene is a cutting compound
    > and will
    increase
    > the wear on moving parts...
    >

Holy crap. That's my first sighting ever of a Futurama reference...pretty much anywhere.

Chris

8. Chris

Chris Guest

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Westie wrote:
    > > Out riding today with several river crossings and A LOT of water and
    mud.
    > > Bike ended up 3/4's submerged a couple of times. What places should I squirt lubricants or
    > > water-displacers like WD40? If any at all? Cheers.
    >
    > Make sure all the drainage holes are clear and give it a bit of a shake. You should be able to
    > hear any water sloshing about inside. If needs be, pull out the seat post and turn it upside down.
    > Hubs should be ok, but I'd be tempted to re-grease the headset, and obviously re-lube the
    > drivetrain and the pedals.
    >
    > As a short anecdote, I was once doing some work on a Raleigh Max, and pulled out the BB which was
    > followed by a deluge of rusty water. The drain holes were blocked and it had been sitting in there
    > for over a
    month.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    >

When I pulled the crank and BB out of Sugar I got an ounce or two of flow out of there...I'm tempted
    to drill a very small, like less than 1/8", hole in the bottom of the bb shell. Do you (or anyone
    here) have any experience with this, special considerations, etc.?

Chris

9. Bomba

Bomba Guest

10. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry Guest

Chris wrote:
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Westie wrote:
    >>
    >>>Out riding today with several river crossings and A LOT of water and
    >
    > mud.
    >
    >>>Bike ended up 3/4's submerged a couple of times. What places should I squirt lubricants or
    >>>water-displacers like WD40? If any at all? Cheers.
    >>
    >>Make sure all the drainage holes are clear and give it a bit of a shake. You should be able to
    >>hear any water sloshing about inside. If needs be, pull out the seat post and turn it upside down.
    >>Hubs should be ok, but I'd be tempted to re-grease the headset, and obviously re-lube the
    >>drivetrain and the pedals.
    >>
    >>As a short anecdote, I was once doing some work on a Raleigh Max, and pulled out the BB which was
    >>followed by a deluge of rusty water. The drain holes were blocked and it had been sitting in there
    >>for over a
    >
    > month.
    >
    >>--
    >>a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >>
    >>a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    >>
    >
    >
    > When I pulled the crank and BB out of Sugar I got an ounce or two of flow out of there...I'm
    > tempted to drill a very small, like less than 1/8", hole in the bottom of the bb shell. Do you (or
    > anyone here) have any experience with this, special considerations, etc.?
    >

I've done it to a number of my bikes road and mountain and it seemed to work well. I was looking
    in a MTB rag at Wally World yesterday, and they recommended it, using a 1/16" bit. Must be a bad
    thing to do ;-)

Shawn

11. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Shawn Curry wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> Westie wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Out riding today with several river crossings and A LOT of water and
    >>
    >>
    >> mud.
    >>
    >>>> Bike ended up 3/4's submerged a couple of times. What places should I squirt lubricants or
    >>>> water-displacers like WD40? If any at all? Cheers.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Make sure all the drainage holes are clear and give it a bit of a shake. You should be able to
    >>> hear any water sloshing about inside. If needs be, pull out the seat post and turn it upside
    >>> down. Hubs should be ok, but I'd be tempted to re-grease the headset, and obviously re-lube the
    >>> drivetrain and the pedals.
    >>>
    >>> As a short anecdote, I was once doing some work on a Raleigh Max, and pulled out the BB which
    >>> was followed by a deluge of rusty water. The drain holes were blocked and it had been sitting in
    >>> there for over a
    >>
    >>
    >> month.
    >>
    >>> --
    >>> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >>>
    >>> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> When I pulled the crank and BB out of Sugar I got an ounce or two of flow out of there...I'm
    >> tempted to drill a very small, like less than 1/8", hole in the bottom of the bb shell. Do you
    >> (or anyone here) have any experience with this, special considerations, etc.?
    >>
    >
    > I've done it to a number of my bikes road and mountain and it seemed to work well. I was looking
    > in a MTB rag at Wally World yesterday, and they recommended it, using a 1/16" bit. Must be a bad
    > thing to do ;-)
    >
    > Shawn
    >
    >

I typically get some water out when I pull my BB. The head wrench at my LBS (a long time, very
    experienced mountain biker) recommended against drilling. He said it was a double edged sword and in
    his experience, a hole lets crud in with the water. It's better to just pull the BB every so often
    and dry/regrease it.

David

12. Westie

Westie Guest

> If any at all? Cheers.
    > --
    > Westie
    >
    >

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's a Giant NRS and is pretty much stock. I was concerned about
    BB's and bearings but it sounds like it's not too much of a problem. I'll make sure those tubes are
    emptied out. The drive drain got a good relubing. I'm always surprised how fast the rust starts on a
    naked chain.
    --
    Westie

13. Bloocow

Bloocow Guest

> If any at all? Cheers.
    > --
    > Westie

Contrary to most of the advice given, I've had water leak into an old Shimano XT hub during a water
    crossing. I guess it depends on quality of your seals and how much risk you would dare to take. Also
    to be considered is the length of time the parts were submerged. To have peace of mind, I now carry
    my bike (if I can) in such situations.

A month or two ago, it rained quite heavily (off and on) for 4 hours during a 8 hour off road trip.
    We went through a few flooded areas that had water up to my waist. Some short ones I rode through
    and others I carried. At the end of the ride, my chain was already showing signs of rust, and
    squeaking (from lack of lube). To be safe, and to avoid possible inconveniences (should the
    bearings rust) I sent my hubs and BB to be serviced. My friend who owned the LBS I went to told me
    later he found water in other hubs which he serviced. (Others on the 8 hr trip had sent their bikes
    to this LBS).

bloocow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.