Bikes at the supermarket

in message <[email protected]>, Andreas
Schulze-Bäing ('[email protected]') wrote:

> That surprised me most when I moved to the UK. I thought that in the
> rough and wet weathers of this country I would see much more bikes with
> hub gears, with very low maintenance needs. Instead of that I haven't
> seen a single hub gear bike over here - apart from one commuter bike in
> Halfords.

Sturmey Archer - an object lesson in British industrial management in the
twentieth century. 1905-1920, innovate tremendously, produce an excellent
product, win a world wide market. 1920-1960, sit on hands, ignore quality
control, pension off the R&D staff. 1960-1980, produce rubbish, bewail the
fact that foreign competition has stolen your market, go bankrupt (ideally
repeatedly).

;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming XSL processor.

Am Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:50:03 +0000 schrieb Peter Clinch:

> Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
>
>> Agreed - introducing new legislation would not really help. And for kids
>> mountainbikes with fitted lights might not look sufficiently "cool". Maybe
>> in the context of the cycle-to-work schemes it would be an interesting
>> marketing option for those companies offering the typical commuter bike.

> A few do appear. Orbit's City 7 is a very good example: hybrid
> frame/bars with hub dyanmo & lights, 7 speed hub gear, (half) chaincase,
> rack and mudguards all fitted as standard.

Well - the website says model is discontinued... :-/
<http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/orion.shtml>

> People do seem to be
> gradually (*very* gradually) moving this way. I think part of the
> problem is the perception that since you can but a dual suspension
> "mountain bike" (aka "bike shaped object") at Tesco then /obviously/ you
> don't have to spend much for a Real Bike.

A friend of mine got one of those bike shape objects as a present about two
years ago. She used to enjoy cycling on a road bike back home in Italy -
but hated cycling on this one. The suspension was pretty useless apart from
taking up all your cycling energy. Plus after two years the rims of the
weel were bent, so that I could not adjust the cheapy back break enough to
make them work again. That's why I advised her to get a new bike - which in
the end was at Halfords a Carrera Subway 1.

> That orbit is £700, so evan
> at ~ £350 with the tax break it's more than a lot of people think you
> should pay.

I'm sure one could produce a simple commuter bike for the mass market with
7-gear hub, simple hub dynamo for less than £200, as long as you make a
compromise regarding the weight.

>> That surprised me most when I moved to the UK. I thought that in the rough
>> and wet weathers of this country I would see much more bikes with hub
>> gears, with very low maintenance needs. Instead of that I haven't seen a
>> single hub gear bike over here - apart from one commuter bike in Halfords.

> We're back to fashion, and the current trend is coming off the MTB boom
> of the 80s. With /real/ MTBs you really do want derailleurs (unless
> it's a Rohloff, but see above about costs!) so everyone had derailleurs.
> If you don't know better (and many people don't) then /obviously/ more
> gears are better than fewer gears, and people again associate hubs with
> rather grot 3 speed Sturmeys from the 70s, so not much market for hubs
> :-( I can sympathise to some extent: as a kid I couldn't wait for
> "proper" gears (all 5 of them!) on a "racer", and once I had them then
> hubs were strictly for grannies and girls.

To avoid misunderstandings... As much as I enjoyed riding my old dutch bike
with 3-gear Sachs, changing to a 24gear Shimano Deore LX in 1995 was a
massive improvement, especially in more hilly topography. And as a friend
of mine promised me back then buying quality would pay off in the long run
- the LX front and rear derailleurs still run smooth today. As long as you
know and apply some basic maintenance techniques, deraillerus are better
than hub gears. But for the unexperienced amateur a hub gear can be a much
better and hassle-free alternative.

>> Well the increasing car dependency and use is not exclusive to the UK. Even
>> in the Netherlands the number of trips made by bikes are constantly
>> decreasing and the importance of the car is increasing.

> Be interesting to see how that trend continues now energy prices are
> going up and congestion charges start appearing more. There is an
> increasing awareness that The Great Car Economy is *not* sustainable or
> desirable, and places like NL where there still is a cycling culture
> will find it much easier to lower dependency on them than the UK.

That reminds me of last weeks Newsnight special about road-pricing. Even
the "journalist" from the sun in the discussion round admitted that he
would come into Euston Road by train taking a foldable bike from there to
work.

But - on the other hand the petrol prices have always been consistently
higher in the UK than in many other European countries in recent years.
Therefore the average commuting distance is still comparatively low in the
UK, also because long-distance commuting has never been subsidised to the
same extent in this country. It took bicycle advocats in Germany a long
time to get the same level and recognition of commuting subsidy than the
car commuters.

Andreas

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Chris Hills wrote:
>> My nearest supermarket is down quite a steep hill. I'd be buggered
>> trying to ride back with a load of shopping!

> Get a mountain drive...

Sometimes, though, the hill is too steep for a pannier-shod two-wheeled
machine. Lowering the gearing is no use if you can't reach the minimum
speed to keep stable.

YMMV

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:20:31 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Quite a few UK /cyclists/, let alone the general public, are unaware of
>even the existence of hub dynamos (I was, for many years). Sad, but true.

And even cheap Dutch bottle dynamos are not on sale.

As for the Subway 1, I've got one and it's fine for knocking about
town.

Neil

Neil Williams wrote:

>> Quite a few UK /cyclists/, let alone the general public, are unaware of
>> even the existence of hub dynamos (I was, for many years). Sad, but true.

> And even cheap Dutch bottle dynamos are not on sale.

Decathlon sell a bottle dynamo and front light kit. About 12 pounds, or
something like that.
That's just some information - your point is valid.
Decatlon stores are French, and thin on the ground.

Peter Clinch twisted the electrons to say:
> Yes, though note Alistair's comment about having used **** in the
> (fairly distant) past. As recently as 2000 I'd pretty much convinced
> myself no bike of mine would ever use a dyanmo (now I have 3 that do...).

The Grasshopper had a SON and it was truly great not to have worry about
batteries. I suspect that's the main thing I'll miss since I've swapped
it for a Trice-QNT. Since I suspect I'll get tired of charging batteries
by the time it's daylight for my commute, I forsee a (decent!) bottle
dynamo (+ lights) purchase occuring in September ...

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:13:13 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Decathlon sell a bottle dynamo and front light kit. About 12 pounds, or
>something like that.

Good stuff...

>Decatlon stores are French, and thin on the ground.

They're a good place to get unusual stuff from, as they seem to carry
roughly the same range as the French version, in a similar way that
Lidl (more so than Aldi) is a good place to get German nosh from.

Neil

Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:58:45 +0000 schrieb Peter Clinch:
>
> > Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:

> >> ...in Germany it's forbidden to sell a bike for
> >> public road use that is not equipped with dynamo lighting.

> > Been in place for a while though. If you introduced it here you'd just
> > drive people off the roads, I would guess :-(

> Agreed - introducing new legislation would not really help. And for kids
> mountainbikes with fitted lights might not look sufficiently "cool".

I'm not so sure: give the kids a car and see how quickly they fit it
with extra fog lights, spot lights, chassis lights...

Lighting is very cool.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:

> > Yebbut you don't need to inflict junkmail (full of deeply
> > unwanted offers) on customers to do a bit of profiling.
> > It caused me to junk my clubcard years ago.

> Tesco gave me the option of opting out of the junkmail/offers when I signed
> up to their loyalty card the other week.

I've been a Tesco Clubcard holder for years and have received no more
than the odd statement with a money-off voucher. So I guess that's a me
too.

Anyone who dislikes junkmail and does not opt out of junkmail when given
the chance is, to be generous, ever so slightly silly.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United
We went up twice with Tilly and Brush

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 20:59:39 +0000,
[email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:

>I've been a Tesco Clubcard holder for years and have received no more
>than the odd statement with a money-off voucher. So I guess that's a me
>too.

AOL from me as well. All I get sent is a periodical voucher for money
off shopping at Tesco, which doesn't go amiss at all.

I did, of course, tick the "no junk mail" box, and didn't tell them my
e-mail address as they have no need for it.

Neil

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2 Mar 2007 12:28:53 GMT
>The cashier told me my 100-litre backpack
> counted for several points, but that the fact that I hadn't come by
> car[2] counted for nothing.

I guess it would be either very difficult or impractical to check up on the
mode of transport for every customer in order to include this in the green
points scheme.

Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Been in place for a while though. If you introduced it here you'd just
> > > drive people off the roads, I would guess :-(

> > Agreed - introducing new legislation would not really help. And for kids
> > mountainbikes with fitted lights might not look sufficiently "cool".

> I'm not so sure: give the kids a car and see how quickly they fit it
> with extra fog lights, spot lights, chassis lights...
>
> Lighting is very cool.
>
> Cheers,
> Luke

true but often the bikes are't maitained. the lads who fit lights to the
cars may not over lap heavly with lads riding around the streets. after
all if you've bought, invested time money in the car your going to pose
it it...

roger

> [...]

> > gears are better than fewer gears, and people again associate hubs with
> > rather grot 3 speed Sturmeys from the 70s, so not much market for hubs
> > :-( I can sympathise to some extent: as a kid I couldn't wait for
> > "proper" gears (all 5 of them!) on a "racer", and once I had them then
> > hubs were strictly for grannies and girls.

> To avoid misunderstandings... As much as I enjoyed riding my old dutch bike
> with 3-gear Sachs, changing to a 24gear Shimano Deore LX in 1995 was a
> massive improvement, especially in more hilly topography. And as a friend
> of mine promised me back then buying quality would pay off in the long run
> - the LX front and rear derailleurs still run smooth today. As long as you
> know and apply some basic maintenance techniques, deraillerus are better
> than hub gears. But for the unexperienced amateur a hub gear can be a much

yup i have a old moutain bike, thats on a half decent back mech, after i
destroyed the orginal one, and is still going strong, over ten years
later in the bikes new incaration as road bike with thin tires and such.

amazingly tough considering the years of grot and grime it still works
well.

snips

> Andreas

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
>
> > What puzzles me is that most bikes sold and running in the UK have no
> > lights attached. I mean - battery run lights are fine for light weight road
> > bikes, when you occasionally end up in the dark. Yet I don't regret having
> > invested in a hub dynamo. The sensor switches it on/off automatically.
> > Nowadays even the bikes regularly sold at discounter stores like Aldi in
> > Germany are equipped with simple hub dynamos.

> The market you've grown up with is for utility transport bikes to do a
> working job. That market is something of a niche in the UK, with most
> bike shops concentrating firmly on the leisure market. The general
> perception of leisure riding is it's done in daylight, so it's hard to
> buy a bike with built-in lighting.

if there mountain bikes, lights are something else to get knocked off
etc, and unless you fork out fairly big amounts its going to do little
to help you find your way off road.

on road, certinaly commutor bikes it would make sence.

> And if you think it's dumb... I agree! But that's market and marketing
> for you.
>
> > I'm sure
> > big companies like Halfords could get a good deal on those cheap hub
> > dynamos like Shimano DH-3N20, Suntour DH-CT600 or Nova Tec.

> "There's no demand" is the usual answer to this :-(
> Quite a few UK /cyclists/, let alone the general public, are unaware of
> even the existence of hub dynamos (I was, for many years). Sad, but true.
>
> Pete.

i think there may be a idea that a dyno would make peddling harder,
which isn't apealing. i assume moden ones are near zero effect?

can they cope with stopping? ie how long will they remain lit when you
stop at lights etc?

roger

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Car: Check I've got car keys. Check I don't need rain gear for the
> 50-150 yd walk to the nearest free car parking (depending on how near
> I managed to park it). Drive slowly down extremely congested city
> streets. Swear at cyclists who stop me bumper hugging the car in front
> to keep someone else from slipping into my place in the road
> queue.

Touche, Chris. Excellent reply.

Am Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:03:40 +0000 schrieb Roger Merriman:

> i think there may be a idea that a dyno would make peddling harder,
> which isn't apealing. i assume moden ones are near zero effect?

Without the lights switched on there's barely any difference - it's
basically like a normal hub. With the lights switched on there's slightly
more power needed on the pedals - but much less than with a bottle dynamo.
My cheapy Shimano hub dynamo is fitted with a sensor that switches it
automatically on and off. So even when you just go through a tunnel - woops
and the light is on. But sometimes I forget to switch off the manual switch
and i'm surprised that the light is still on, as I don't feel the
difference.

> can they cope with stopping? ie how long will they remain lit when you
> stop at lights etc?

Even my ancient 12-year-old backlight has got a capacitor built in that
keeps an LED glowing when stopping for a couple of minutes. You can get
similar models now for the front-lights as well.

For me as a regular commuter throughout the year a hub dynamo was the best
investment ever in my bike. I know that I would always forget to charge the
batteries exactly when I need them. In German online shops you can get
complete front wheels with hub dynamo for about 45 Euros. That's not a lot
compared to a good quality bottle dynamo or a battery run system.

Andreas

Am Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:50:03 +0000 schrieb Peter Clinch:

> Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
>
>> Agreed - introducing new legislation would not really help. And for kids
>> mountainbikes with fitted lights might not look sufficiently "cool". Maybe
>> in the context of the cycle-to-work schemes it would be an interesting
>> marketing option for those companies offering the typical commuter bike.

> A few do appear. Orbit's City 7 is a very good example: hybrid
> frame/bars with hub dyanmo & lights, 7 speed hub gear, (half) chaincase,
> rack and mudguards all fitted as standard.

I just had a look at the German website of Raleigh. They offer a very nice
bike which would presumably be called a commuter bike in the UK context.
<http://www.raleigh-bikes.de/bikes/uni_modell.asp?kat=Travel&id=500019>
Aluminium frame, 28" wheels, Shimano Nexus 8-gear hub and dynamo hub, rack,
SKS mudguards.
weight: 13.9 kg (30.6 lb) price: 699 Euro (475 pound Sterling)

Yet the British Raleigh website does not seem to have it on offer - I guess
another case where a traditional brand name is used by different companies
in different countries.

Andreas

Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:03:40 +0000 schrieb Roger Merriman:
>

> > i think there may be a idea that a dyno would make peddling harder,
> > which isn't apealing. i assume moden ones are near zero effect?

> Without the lights switched on there's barely any difference - it's
> basically like a normal hub. With the lights switched on there's slightly
> more power needed on the pedals - but much less than with a bottle dynamo.
> My cheapy Shimano hub dynamo is fitted with a sensor that switches it
> automatically on and off. So even when you just go through a tunnel - woops
> and the light is on. But sometimes I forget to switch off the manual switch
> and i'm surprised that the light is still on, as I don't feel the
> difference.
>
> > can they cope with stopping? ie how long will they remain lit when you
> > stop at lights etc?

> Even my ancient 12-year-old backlight has got a capacitor built in that
> keeps an LED glowing when stopping for a couple of minutes. You can get
> similar models now for the front-lights as well.
>
> For me as a regular commuter throughout the year a hub dynamo was the best
> investment ever in my bike. I know that I would always forget to charge the
> batteries exactly when I need them. In German online shops you can get
> complete front wheels with hub dynamo for about 45 Euros. That's not a lot
> compared to a good quality bottle dynamo or a battery run system.
>
> Andreas

okay sounds good maybe if i do a lot of commuting in the dark.

sounds good any how.

roger

Chris Hills <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
>> My point really being that everything is made easy for the car, its a no
>> brainer to grab the car keys and make a journey.
>> Bikes get nicked too often, and are vulnerable to bits being nicked off
>> them.

> My nearest supermarket is down quite a steep hill. I'd be buggered
> trying to ride back with a load of shopping!

My favorite supermarket is slightly *uphill* from my home. This means I
chug uphill to the store on my cargo-bike (often with my five year old on
the back), but I simply fly downhill on the way back.

Of course I live in Seattle, which is rather hilly, so I end up climbing
some pretty steep hills on other errands. I rarely have to drop into my
22 tooth chainring though. Now if I could just rig up some stoker
cranks for my daughter...

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Klatu barada nikto.

John Hearns wrote:

> Get to supermarket - literally acres of ground laid out with parking
> places. Park car, central lock. I am confident car will be there when I
> get back, car manufacturers having paid a lot of attention to good locks
> and immobilizers.

Doesn't mean your car will be in the same state you left it.
Deliberate or accidental damage can be quite common in supermarket car
parks, especially at less busy times of the day.

> I literally don't have to get wet if it is raining.

Then you're lucky. None of the supermarkets I go to have covered car
parking. If I am very fortunate, I can park outside my house when I
get home, otherwise it can be quite a way down the street.

> Cycle - put tracksuit bottoms, gloves and cleated shoes on.

Why?

I quite often borrow the office bike to ride into town on errands or
to do some shopping at lunchtime - it's about 2 miles each way - and
I've never felt the need to change out of my ordinary work clothes
(shirt, suit trousers) or shoes for the journey.

> Fair chance of bike being nicked on return. Do shopping, reverse process.

IMX, no more than the likelihood of your car being damaged on your
return.

The main reason most people won't cycle to the supermarket (even if
they do ride bikes from time to time) is that they don't want to carry
all that stuff on their bikes.

In my case, it's because the local supermarket is within walking
distance, and my preferred supermarket is one my route home from work,
which (at 18 miles each way) is too far for me to cycle.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the