Bikes Banned From BART This Weekend

Jym Dyer

Guest
=v= This story sez "BART prepares for peace rally crowd:"

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm

Unfortunately, if you're trying to get around by bike, they won't let you go between San Francisco
and the East Bay:

| Bikes will not be allowed on trains between the East Bay and San Francisco on Sunday from 10 a.m.
| to 6 p.m., although they will be permitted on the Richmond-Fremont line.

<_Jym_

On 13 Feb 2003 13:52:18 -0800, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> from Trees Not Cars wrote:

>=v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
>
>http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
>
>BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
>Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests.

The story doers't say that outright, though. Could you explain more?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Well, I'm a classic ANAL RETENTIVE!! And I'm
looking for a way to VICARIOUSLY experience some reason to LIVE!!

Jym Dyer <[email protected]> writes:

> =v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
>
> http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
>
> BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
> Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests. <_Jym_>

There is no mention of this in the article. There's enough stuff going on that we don't need to add
to it with false statements.

73, doug

Jym Dyer wrote:

> =v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
>
> http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
>
> BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
> Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests. <_Jym_>

They can gladly have my name as someone that does not support the "Bush Family War."

Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> =v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
>
> http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
>
> BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
> Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests. <_Jym_>

FYI...

I was on BART on Sunday and there was a woman with a bike going from SF (not sure where she got on)
to West Oakland. Perhaps her behavior was illegal, but apparently nobody prevented her from getting
on. My friend commented that bikes aren't allowed in crowded cars (which is what we were in) and a
nearby woman said that when the woman with the bike got on, the car wasn't crowded.

Also, I didn't actually buy a Flash Pass, but I believe they were taking cash. They were selling
them at the customer service window at Lake Merritt BART.

Gail

JOB FISHING: Looking for a Senior Technical Writer position in the Bay Area. See
www.gurman.org/resume for cover letter, resume, and samples.

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

> Jym Dyer <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > =v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
> >
> > http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
> >
> > BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
> > Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests. <_Jym_>
>
> There is no mention of this in the article. There's enough stuff going on that we don't need to
> add to it with false statements.

I guess that depends on whether the vending machines run on cash or not. Mitch

How do you feel about the BenLaden/Saddam war, then?

There are very bad people out there who will do very bad things to us. Complaining, talking, and
wishing won't make them go away. Neither will bribing, cajoling (sp?), or giving aid.

But then, what has that got to do with the price of a BART ticket?

"Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jym Dyer wrote:
>
> > =v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
> >
> > http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
> >
> > BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
> > Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests. <_Jym_>
>
> They can gladly have my name as someone that does not support the "Bush Family War."

> There is no mention of this in the article. There's enough stuff going on that we don't need to
> add to it with false statements.

=v= Sorry for my clumsy wording.

=v= The newer vending machines take ATM and credit cards. The check-cashing place that sells "flash
passes" probably does, too. If the Office of Homeland Security asks BART to hand over data, the USA
PATRIOT [sic] Act requires BART to do so. <_Jym_

Mitch Haley <[email protected]> writes:

> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
> >
> > Jym Dyer <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > =v= Oh, one more thing from this story:
> > >
> > > http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/5171593.htm
> > >
> > > BART wants you to purchase your tickets with credit cards and ATMs, which means the Office of
> > > Homeland Security can keep track of who's travelling to these protests. <_Jym_>
> >
> > There is no mention of this in the article. There's enough stuff going on that we don't need to
> > add to it with false statements.
>
> I guess that depends on whether the vending machines run on cash or not. Mitch

As Jym and I both know, most of the ticket vending machines ONLY accept cash.

73, doug

Jym Dyer wrote:
> =v= The newer vending machines take ATM and credit cards. The check-cashing place that sells
> "flash passes" probably does, too. If the Office of Homeland Security asks BART to hand over data,
> the USA PATRIOT [sic] Act requires BART to do so. <_Jym_>

Jym's comments are curious. About the only rallys in this country of which i am aware in which the
participants are ashamed to have their participation known identified are Klu Klux Klan
group-fests. Maybe he's confusing this anti-war rally with something else? Or was he hoping for a
top-level CIA position?

Of course, the civil liberties aspect of the patriot act are worth debating, but that's probably
irrelevent to this topic to the vast majority of participants.

Dan

P.S. Unsolicited opinion -- the little "=v=" thing probably causes many people to trivialize your
arguments by making you seem goofy. The conventional space + optional indent works pretty well.

In rec.bicycles.soc news.sonnet.com <[email protected]> wrote:
> How do you feel about the BenLaden/Saddam war, then?

I'm more concerned with it being used as an excuse for a war on US civil rights.

> There are very bad people out there who will do very bad things to us. Complaining, talking, and
> wishing won't make them go away. Neither will bribing, cajoling (sp?), or giving aid.

And to be candid, most likely a war won't solve the problem either. Even if the avowed goal of
removing Saddam takes place, it will only make the region more unstable and contentious (I'd say an
85% prob). What do unstable region's breed? More dictators and people who have nothing to lose. Not
that the US has anything against dictators, as long as they're in our pocket...

> But then, what has that got to do with the price of a BART ticket?

You mean this isn't alt.bickering.flame.flame ?

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "But Huey, you PROMISED!" "Tell
'em I lied."

Jym Dyer:

=v= The principle involved is, rather, about resisting the invasion of our right to privacy.
Overturning the Bill of Rights to make the U.S. a police state is something that any thinking
peace advocate would oppose. Any real patriot would resist the anti-American USA PATRIOT
[sic] Act.

Likewise, I should think, any genuine conservative. It's interesting and mostly depressing how true
stripes are showing everywhere.

Of course, people on any side of this issue are allowed to ride bicycles.

Norman Wilson Toronto ON
--
To reply directly, expel `.edu'.

> ... in which the participants are ashamed to have their participation known identified ...

=v= It's not about shame. I am forthright in my opposition to the proposed war and I don't care
who knows.

=v= The principle involved is, rather, about resisting the invasion of our right to privacy.
Overturning the Bill of Rights to make the U.S. a police state is something that any thinking peace
advocate would oppose. Any real patriot would resist the anti-American USA PATRIOT [sic] Act. <_Jym_

...stuff deleted

> Of course, the civil liberties aspect of the patriot act are worth
debating,
> but that's probably irrelevent to this topic to the vast majority of participants.

Jim is right to assume that the act opens up the potential for a lot of abuses (with little to no
oversight). If the current regieme, and I use this term with reason considering the bent of Ashcroft
and co., wishes to move the US toward being a police state, this act was an excellent first step.

Rick