Bikes beat hike in car park fees

Colin Blackburn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/3696550.stm

Bikes beat hike in car park fees

A store boss has bought bicycles for some of his staff to help them avoid
a big hike in car parking charges.

Jim Balmer, who owns R Scott Menswear in Cirencester, was concerned by the
district council's six-fold increase.

He has now given bikes to two of his longest service employees to save
them paying the £25-a-week parking fee.

Jeffrey Nash and David Roberts, who have clocked up nearly 80 years of
service between them, were able to take up the offer because they live
nearby.

'Commend cycling'

Mr Balmer said: "One of them has worked 42 years, one has worked 37 years
for me.

"I thought they would make good use of them, because they live locally and
it would save them bringing their car in and spending a fiver a day just
to come into work."

Many traders in Cirencester and Tetbury complained that they were losing
business as a result of the increases, which were introduced last April.

But Cotwold District Council said the rise brought the towns in line with
others, like Stratford and neighbouring Cheltenham, which had much higher
parking charges.

The cycling charity Sustrans is impressed by Jim Balmer's gift to his
staff.

A spokesperson said: "We encourage employers to have travel plans for
their staff.

"We commend people cycling to work, it not only saves them money but also
helps them stay fit and healthy as well."

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> "... it not only saves them money but
> also helps them stay fit and healthy as well."

Ad infinitum.

When will people finally get the message?

Simonb wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> > "... it not only saves them money but
> > also helps them stay fit and healthy as well."

> Ad infinitum.
>
> When will people finally get the message?

My new employer actually offered to pay half of the car parking fee at
my office, I declined and told them I'd use my bike or the bus. They
did not offer to help me with bus fare though nor offer to get me a new
bike. The fee is £70 per month here.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Simonb wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> > "... it not only saves them money but
> > also helps them stay fit and healthy as well."

> Ad infinitum.
>
> When will people finally get the message?

My new employer actually offered to pay half of the car parking fee at
my office, I declined and told them I'd use my bike or the bus. They
did not offer to help me with bus fare though nor offer to get me a new
bike.

Why not ask?
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

MSeries vaguely muttered something like ...
> Simonb wrote:
>> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>>
>>> "... it not only saves them money but
>>> also helps them stay fit and healthy as well."

>> Ad infinitum.
>>
>> When will people finally get the message?

> My new employer actually offered to pay half of the car parking fee at
> my office, I declined and told them I'd use my bike or the bus. They
> did not offer to help me with bus fare though nor offer to get me a new
> bike. The fee is £70 per month here.

I think I'd ask them to subsidise the bike, or some new tyres etc .. ;)

You'll never get it if you wait for them to offer .. they'll not even be
aware cycling to work costs anyrhing at all .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."