bikes by air

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Robin Norton, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Robin Norton

    Robin Norton Guest

    When taking a bike on a plane do people normally remove the front wheel and fix it to the frame? CTC
    recommend this but I'm wondering what people do in practice. In the past Ive taken off the wheel but
    it makes the bike hard to manouevre round the airport! Appreciate any info Rob N

    Tags:

  2. George

    George Guest

    For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
    buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
    around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

    See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

    The clear answer to your question is "It depends"

    It depends on what the airline counter person of the day will put up with. The US staff usually
    insist on a box and on totally deflating the tires. For the return trip from Europe on the same
    airline no box is usually required.

    If no box, I recommend leaving the wheel mounted.

    --
    Munged email address.