bikes direct and immortal ice review

ski798

Aug 25, 2010
thanks for all the help; read for 3 weeks all of the posts, positive and negative; have already been pleased by the woman's model for my wife and daughter-they love their bikes. Been looking for my 1st road bike, have only ridden mtb for last 26 yrs; 1st. Specialized Stumpjumper Team Pink, 2nd, a Ritchey Timber comp, now a Lightspeed Piscah-now set up w/Ritchey WCS fork, came w/roxshox. Even so it weighs in at 23+lbs. Read everything I could, I ended up getting the Motobecane Immortal Ice(16 lbs.) Was nervous spending $1800., but for the price I couldn't go wrong. I ordered it on a Saturday and it arrived the following friday the 13th, just before I started back to work(teaching). UPS did a great job, the box looked perfect-no dents or dings.(ha ha) It was so easy to put together, maybe cuz I've been stripping bikes to bearings for 30+ years. If you know what your doing it's no-brainer stuff. Spent another 30 minutes or so my first ride dialing in seat position/height; the brakes and derailers were surprisingly dialed in out of box(not so with the Gigi's, had to adjust cables.) Got Shimano pedals to complete the set, I didn't know wellgo still existed after Supergo died. I love this bike! It looks great, the full carbon frame smoothes out the road. I can't believe how easy it is to accelerate while still in the saddle. Have ridden up Mt Diablo several times now(north gate) and have not needed the 28 tooth cog, felt much faster. Just got my polar set up for it so now I have some reference to make some comparisons wrt speed. Just road to school in Benicia today (25 m round trip,) I took five minutes off my time going from 45 to 40 minutes.

Being a teacher I've got limited funds for fun. I wanted to get a great bike, would have loved to get a Specialized tarmac but don't have that kind of $'s. The geometry and dimensions are almost identical. I love riding this bike, I can't wait to ride the Deathride next year on it, in fact thinking of doing the Everest Challenge this year. This bike loves to go fast and climb. If you know the way around a bike, and value your $'s, this is the really only logical option. If money is not a factor you should support your LBS cuz it's the right thing to do. My closest LBS is REI - how local is that really. Have been supporting one where I can get 26" continental road slicks. If you don't know what your doing you really need someone to walk you through the process.

So, Thank you Bikesdirect for providing outstanding value, I have recommended you to several of my friend, (don't let me down!

you like that, I love sarcasm. Seriously, this is the 1st road bike I've ever owned. Rode one once 20+ yers ago, a borrowed 10 speed, we rode from Saratoga to Santa Cruz and back. So, in reality I see my review of this bike as extremely limited. I wish I were a shill, if it pays well.

I've been riding my mtb's about 5k a year, commuting to work, riding up diablo, riding Rockville with a couple of colleagues. Being stretched out over the frame, as opposed to my mtb, has causes the pinch in the left side of my back to disappear. Was concerned about the gearing as it came, am I manly enough? Shimano is Shimano; you know what your getting. The frame was the "what if." If it blows while descending Diablo that'll put a damper on the day, and I'll let you all know, if I live.

I thought about the LeChampion, but come on, seriously, who would ride a bike called LeChampion, just a little too lame sounding, but the paint job is pretty cool,I think the SRAM model looks better than the Shimano model.

Well, it's been a month of riding to work(125 miles/wk), riding up Mt. Diablo(4x40miles/rd trip). The bike is great, can't believe how effortless it is to accelerate in the saddle or out. I can't believe I spent so much time weighing SRAM vs Shimano. I'm more than happy w/my Ultegra; shifting is accurate and smooth. The whole carbon frame, including steerer tube, really dampens the road. Have hit a couple of pot holes in the dark, it handled it well. There's a section of road that's felt like a wash board, my Ice feels so smooth as compared to my Lightspeed Piscah w/Ritchey carbon fork. The only negative I can say is that the brake shifters should have been mounted a few mm further on the handle bars, and I need to cut the steerer tube down. There is 40 mm of spacer under the stem. I'm going to correct this soon. All in all this bike rocks. Components alone would cost what the whole bike did. I was nervous with this purchase; it's given me a whole new fun to have. I can't tell you how many people, when they see it, tell me about their Motobecane they owned way back when. I tell them this is the new Taiwan version, they all love it, and are glad to see the name around again. Who would have thunk. The only LBS for me is REI, the other's are in Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. I believe there is one in either Clayton, maybe in Concord, not sure. I try to keep my tax dollars in my own city where I can. With REI, that's all I'm doing. There is no way I'd have gotten the quality of bike I have, for under 2K, just about any place else. Thank you Bikesdirect, me love me bike! I'm riding the Diablo challenge next week, we'll see how it performs.

Nice bike ski798, nice price and nice specs. The Ultegra 6700 groupset is very nice/smooth/quiet, very reliable, and easy to use /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I used to use the Mavic Equipes and changed to the Prolite Bracciano Wheelset,which I find are better hill climbers, accelerate faster, and more aero. Although, I haven't done enough kms on them to determine durability.