Bikes Direct.com

The higher the number the lighter the tubing, but not dramatically lighter. The higher the number is generally stronger too but because it's stronger they make the tubes really thin which is where they lose most of their weight but in the process of making it thin they make it more susceptible to potential failure. However 631 is strong stuff and is used in touring bikes. However don't get confused with the 4130, a big number but not better than 631, more on the level of 520. All 520 is is Reynolds branded 4130 made in Taiwan instead of Great Britain, so lets reword this, 520 is made by Reynolds, 4130 is the same material licensed to be made by another manufacturer in Taiwan. Both the 520 and the 4130 is a lessor quality than the 631

Thank you for your answers. Is very helpful. I learn from you. I do like steel road bikes. My bianchi is so heavy but is ride smooth. Just is too heavy for the hills. Maybe is beacuse i have put 53/39 crank and 9 speeds cassete 12-25. Is has when i buy 52/42 crank and freewheel 6 speeds 14-28. What is better you think i can do i found other cassete and has 28 cog or 30 or is better i found triple crank. But i do look to buy from bikes direct when i can afford or racing steel old bike and can accept 9 speeds cassete.

Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
Thank you for your answers. Is very helpful. I learn from you. I do like steel road bikes. My bianchi is so heavy but is ride smooth. Just is too heavy for the hills. Maybe is beacuse i have put 53/39 crank and 9 speeds cassete 12-25. Is has when i buy 52/42 crank and freewheel 6 speeds 14-28. What is better you think i can do i found other cassete and has 28 cog or 30 or is better i found triple crank. But i do look to buy from bikes direct when i can afford or racing steel old bike and can accept 9 speeds cassete.
Depends on how much money you want to spend.

You need to find out if your Bianchi has a short, medium, or long cage rear derailleur before you go and start making rear gear changes. Typically a short cage will handle nothing more then a 27 tooth cog (large) rear gear and a very few will handle a 28 tooth cog, everything else below that is fine. A medium one will work with a 30 cog, and a long cage with a 34 tooth cog. The larger cog you can use with whatever derailleur you have the easier it is climb hills. So the expense is assuming you have short cage but want a 30 cog then you would not only have to buy the new cassette but also a new derailleur with a medium length cage. Get the idea?

The second gears to look at is the front, the easiest gears to have for hill climbing is called compact gears which usually has a 50 tooth large ring gear and a 34 tooth small ring gear. To make this change work you don't have to get a new front derailleur.

It sounds like you have a short cage rear derailleur but you should check to make sure, if you do then get a 12-27 (maybe a 28 depending on the derailleur) cassette, and 50/34 chainrings and you should be set to go to hit the hills with less strain. If you find out you have a medium length rear derailleur cage then get a 12 or 13 to 30 cassette and the same compact chainrings I already mentioned. I doubt you have a long cage derailleur but if you do then simply get a 12 or 13 to 34 cassette.

The only other thing you can do to make hill climbing easier is to get lighter weight rims like Kinlin XR300 rims with low cost Velocity hubs, and DT Competition double butted spokes; but this is an expensive option that could cost around $525 for the wheelset but it will only weigh about 1,766 grams.
you can get lighter but the wheels will cost more of course.

Thank you again for your help. My bianchi have short cage, When i buy that bike is had 700c wheels with 6 speeds freewheel 14-28. Because i had the wheels from other road bike i have one aluminum canondale is road bike. I not ride that bike need bottom bracket. Is had fulcrum racing 7 wheels. Because i see that wheels fit in the bianchi i start ride the bianchi. 50/34 crank i want to try also i have read online about crank 52/36. I have crank from the bianchi is have 52/42 but no have 36 ring see how is ride the bianchi. I know that bike trail have hills too have elevation from 700 feet to 900 feet. But stay that bianchi so heavy. The 10 miles i do in 45 minutes last time i go for ride i try improve my time