Bikes For Short Trips

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I remember when I was young, the bike were normally used more for short trips and not for leisure. A responsible teenager can go on errands atop the bike and save on fare money for transportation. There were times that errands would reach distant towns covering more than 5 kilometers of riding. And there were young bikers who go to school on their bikes but mostly they were the rich kids in the block.

Have you experienced using the bike for short trips?

That's basically what I use my bike for, it's my short trip ride instead of burning fuel and losing my good parking spot

Kids nowadays complain when being instructed to go on errands using the bike. Like buying something in the hardware store, the problem is the parking because you cannot just leave the bike in front of the hardware store. There's a high probability that it can be stolen. Another complaint is the traffic and discourteous drivers of public transport that usually causes accidents particularly to riders of bikes and motorcycles. But if they have companions for the errand, it is okay to them.

I wanted to use my bike going to work every morning but that is just not possible. By the time I reach the office I am all sweaty and maybe tired. I am not into bringing extra clothes and a gym bag

My school is too far away to bike too, so I just ride around for fun. I like going on bike trails. Sometimes, I ride to the gas station near my house to get some groceries.

Keyan said:
I wanted to use my bike going to work every morning but that is just not possible. By the time I reach the office I am all sweaty and maybe tired. I am not into bringing extra clothes and a gym bag
Then don't BRING a gym bag. Get a rack and use panniers. "Never work in your cycling clothes or cycle in your work clothes." - Welshdude3

It's not hard even if you do office work. Just do an Internet search of 'bicycle commuting and office attire'. There are people all over the world with suggestions and ideas. Try putting that into the search on youtube. I'll wager there are dozens of really good videos on the subject. There is on everything else why not cycle-commuting for professionals?

The main thing is the 'want to' aspect. If you don't want to you won't. If you do you will.

My cycle-commuting began in Chicago. February, 1987. My mileage is well over 100,000. Sounds like a lot until you break it down. It's a little over 3500 per year@ 50 weeks. 70 miles per week. 14 miles per day. 7 miles per leg. At 10 mph that's around a 40 minute leg. You'll probably average more like 12-15 mph. 30-35 minutes.

Give it a shot. You'll probably surprise yourself.

Why is this even a question? OBVIOUSLY, the average person has used a bike for a short trip or errand. We're not all out there cycling exclusively long distances every day of the year. Plenty of us commute to work, and others take care of smaller errands that don't require carrying a lot of cargo on a regular basis. Questions like this don't need to be asked because the answer is so darn obvious.

gavinfree said:
Why is this even a question? OBVIOUSLY, the average person has used a bike for a short trip or errand. We're not all out there cycling exclusively long distances every day of the year. Plenty of us commute to work, and others take care of smaller errands that don't require carrying a lot of cargo on a regular basis. Questions like this don't need to be asked because the answer is so darn obvious.
Over here in Metro Manila, a short trip for an errand on a bike poses a risk particularly to the children. There are the so called safe places like inside the exclusive village but you still cannot rely on that. One reason why biking is not gaining ground here is the concern for safety. There are several incidents where bikers were held up or molested and even murdered. But that's being over acting with the issue. What I want to say is the risk involved hence a short trip for an errand is in question.