bikes grow on trees

Tom Keats

Guest
Yesterday my next door neighbour informed me of
a bike wheel he spotted lodged in the big trees
at the outer edge of the back yard here. We went
out to investigate, I yarded the wheel out --
plus the chain-driven upright trike to which it
was attached. Someone heaved the whole works
in there, about seven feet above the ground. I
was impressed by how those spruce trees swallowed
it whole, and practically out of sight.

The trike is very nondescript and decrepit (the decals
identify it as a Sportek Pacer -- 5 derailleur speeds,
rear coaster brake, front handbrake.) It's missing the
front (20") wheel, the drive is rusted to heck, the
seatpost is apparently glued into the seat tube, and
the shift and front brake mechanisms are almost totally
disassembled and missing stuff. But I'm hoping the rear
axle assembly can be the basis of my upcoming home-built
trailer project. The assembly is bolted onto the main
part of the frame, so I consider not having to saw it off
a bonus.

Once I get the trailer built, I could use it to haul all
the exterraneous bits & pieces to somebody's dumpster in
the middle of the night.

In the meantime, the damn'd thing is taking up a huge
amount of space in the basement.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
:> Once I get the trailer built, I could use it to haul all
:> the exterraneous bits & pieces to somebody's dumpster in
:> the middle of the night.
:>
:> In the meantime, the damn'd thing is taking up a huge
:> amount of space in the basement.

You just couldn't leave it, huh?

:)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>:> Once I get the trailer built, I could use it to haul all
>:> the exterraneous bits & pieces to somebody's dumpster in
>:> the middle of the night.
>:>
>:> In the meantime, the damn'd thing is taking up a huge
>:> amount of space in the basement.
>
> You just couldn't leave it, huh?
>
>:)

I guess not :) But we can't have junk stuffed up our
trees, after all. If the landlady spotted it, she would
have had a fit. Anyhow, once I get the back end off of
it, I can stuff the rest in the exterior garage, out of
sight and out of the way, for the time being. The
landlady never looks in there.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:50:03 -0700, <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

>Someone heaved the whole works
>in there, about seven feet above the ground. I
>was impressed by how those spruce trees swallowed
>it whole, and practically out of sight.

The technique for bike tossing is similar to that used in the Olympic
Hammer Throw. You can get them to fly pretty far.
--
zk

That's a pretty impressive toss. I mean anybody can get good distance
on one of those carbon-unobtanium road bikes. But to chuck a trike?
that's power. Heck, that's style. Next thing you know you'll be
finding mopeds and geo metros in your trees.

Zoot Katz wrote:

> The technique for bike tossing is similar to that used in the Olympic
> Hammer Throw. You can get them to fly pretty far.

As a rambunctious teenager, I once threw a friend's bicycle into a tree.
He had it coming.