Bikes in Living Rooms?

Michael_A

Jan 31, 2010
Ok guys, I face a real problem here and need your help

www.BikesInLivingRooms.com

Thanks in advance

Keeping a bike in the living room is OK as long as it is stored on a proper bike stand. Using the dining room chairs and the formal sitting room furniture as a bike stand is not acceptable.

no big deal, mine sometimes sits in the bedroom, i can proudly say never to have a bike stolen from me in 30 years, which is the main reason to keep it inside.

I keep mine on the trainer in the spare bedroom, never in the kitchen. It just gets in the way.

I can't wait till I have my own place so I can put my bike on a stand in the living room :)

Storing the bike in the living room was quickly shot down by the lady of the house. I thought it would be great "artwork". Winter time, stays upstairs in the spare room on the trainer. Summer time, it stays in the mudroom, and even gets time in the kitchen if we're going away for a few days. I don't trust keeping it in the garage... paranoid? a bit, yes.

i'm in the same boat, I got a used bike racke that goes floor to ceiling and actually holds 4 bikes but i live in a small nyc apt. My gf got into cycling too and now has her own bike so that has helped. If you don't have to keep it in the living room then don't because lets face it, it's really not cool artwork. Save it for when you do live in a bigger place and can have a man cave, then you can hang a bike on the wall behind your bar next to the flat screen!!!

Our MTB's are kept in the garage and my road bike lives in a spare bedroom much to my partners disgust /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

My road bike lives in the garage on a wall mounted bike rack, it used to live in the games room, but my 3 year old ( 2 at the time ) thought the grease on the chain looked good all over the walls. Needless to say it was never put back in the games room.

In the summer the bikes are on the deck, covered, In the winter, they are in the shop
or in the living room. I do wood working and it gets dusty so the bikes go in the house.

I bought the house in 2000 and got married in 2003. The house was totally redone inside
just after I bought it and it remains for the most part unchanged. The wife has never
said any thing about changing any thing, I asked, she said it was fine. She is not a
demanding type. She likes things clean and simple and doesn't really care about
others opinions.

I have my RC planes on a rack in the living room as well, two of them are hers.
Yes I have a wife that builds and flies RC planes, she did the cars for a while.

The house keeper is not real hot about moving the bikes to clean, but she is
paid to clean the house, and that is part of it.

Wife's bike:

My bikes and "our" airplanes:

More toys, and my sail boat rudder, the boat was lost in a tornado, 1988, the
rudder is all that is left:

I had a tiny apartment for awhile and had to store my road bike(s) beside our dining room table. But I covered them with a white bed-sheet, so they blended in okay. The sheet does get greasy over time though.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .
Wife's bike:

It's very sweet of you to put her bike to bed like that. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I keep all my bikes in the garage. Why would I want to carry them down two flights of stairs when I can just pedal right out of the garage.

Originally Posted by davereo .

I keep all my bikes in the garage. Why would I want to carry them down two flights of stairs when I can just pedal right out of the garage.

Same, plus it often rains here often so i'm not allowed to bring a dirty bike in our house /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif the damn wife thinks she's the boss.......i'm not one to argue /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

I know this will start a whole new thing and I will be the brunt of it, but,
I would much rather have a bike in the living room as to have a cat or
dog in my house! I will not go in some ones house that allows cats
and dogs to come in the house. I have had cats and dogs, and several
of my family has them, but not in the house.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

I know this will start a whole new thing and I will be the brunt of it, but,
I would much rather have a bike in the living room as to have a cat or
dog in my house! I will not go in some ones house that allows cats
and dogs to come in the house. I have had cats and dogs, and several
of my family has them, but not in the house.
I live in an area of coyotes, i rarely let my cat outside. And most of my bikes are out on the deck in the freezing cold.

I think I've stored a bike in every room of the house except the bathroom... it's amazing how creative you can be when you have no space :)