Bikes in Taxis

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by -Lsqnot Respond, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    dismantling necessary?

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/6/04 1:39 pm, in article [email protected],
    "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    You may need to take the door off, or the roof if it is a
    very big bike..

    ..d

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    I've got my MTB, me and a couple of other folk, all with
    moderate to large luggage levels in a Black Cab during a
    Christmas Train Fiasco when GNER sent us from Edinburgh to
    Dundee by cab in the wee small hours. I did take off the
    front wheel and made sure I took all the discomfort going
    for the sake of my fellow passengers, but it was okay (about
    60+ miles) and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't manage
    it with just you and a bike.

    But call up the cab company and say what you want to do.
    Quite a few have bigger vehicles for awkward loads anyway,
    and if they've got a minivan might be easier for all
    concerned if they send that.

    Though there is the obvious retort that if it's in cac
    range why not just ride it home? Unless it's a track bike
    or summat?

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382

  4. Neil Brown

    Neil Brown Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    //de-lurk

    umm - could you not just go by taxi and then cycle home?

  5. On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:11:46 +0100, Neil Brown
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[Not Responding] wrote:
    >> I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    >> I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    >> Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    >> dismantling necessary?
    >

    >//de-lurk
    >
    >umm - could you not just go by taxi and then cycle home?

    I am proud to say that, to date, I have always ridden bikes
    home from bikeshops.

    Right now, however, I've still got this bloody duff arm
    and probably couldn't ride a kilometer in a straight line
    let alone 5 miles on busy roads with junctions and
    signalling required.

    Same duff arm means I can't drive and have sold car
    hence taxi.

    Incidentally, the bike I've gone for is that Halford's
    street, slicked MTB with a hub gear that I mentioned
    earlier. It'll be my utilitarian hack and leave-at-the-
    station bike once I've re-learned to ride.

    Once I'm fully functional, I have the following shopping
    list: folder (to keep on boat); high quality commuter (Rotor
    with Rohloff hub, maybe); and, stupidly lightweight and fast
    road bike ('cos I now own Lycra).

  6. [Not Responding] wrote:
    > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    I have had to take a bike in a London black cab on a few
    occassions and they have always gone in.

    You may not get in the first cab that you hail, because a
    lot of cab drivers don't want to risk any damage to their
    cabs, especially if they are owner-drivers, but I am sure
    you will eventually find one who will take you.

  7. [Not Responding] wrote:
    > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    My racer goes in with no wheel removal or seat lowering,
    23" frame.

    Some cabbies will take you others won't, they'll more than
    likely be the twats who carve you up if they are stupid
    enough to throw a fare because of a chip on their shoulder
    about bikes.

  8. pistolpete

    pistolpete New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    I wrote to the Public Carriage Office about this a couple of years ago, I suggested that they should follow other world-class European cities and make cabs carry bike racks.

    I'd been impressed whilst in Copenhagen with my work and my Danish colleagues came out on the drink with me after work and then got a taxi home with their bikes on the back. I wanted to be able to do the same in London.

    Needless to say the PCO didn't think it was a good idea and went on about obscuring number plate and back windows.

  9. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    If you phone a taxi co (computacabs, for example) and ask
    them, they'll tell you it should go in their biggest taxi
    (there are several sizes, I can't remember what they called
    the big one).

    I was happy enough mine would fit to brave cycling across
    london, with the proviso that if I wimped out, I could
    still get the bike from london bridge to kings cross via
    a big taxi.

    --

    Velvet

  10. Neil Brown

    Neil Brown Guest

    > Right now, however, I've still got this bloody duff arm
    > and probably couldn't ride a kilometer in a straight line
    > let alone 5 miles on busy roads with junctions and
    > signalling required.
    >
    > Same duff arm means I can't drive and have sold car
    > hence taxi.

    Oh - sorry to hear that, too much lurking and not enough
    paying attention on my part

  11. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [Not Responding] wrote:
    > > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style
    > > taxi. Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any
    > > degree of dismantling necessary?
    >
    > My racer goes in with no wheel removal or seat lowering,
    > 23" frame.
    >
    > Some cabbies will take you others won't, they'll more than
    > likely be the twats who carve you up if they are stupid
    > enough to throw a fare because of a chip on their shoulder
    > about bikes.

    ISTR it is a legal requirement for taxis in Denmark to carry
    bike racks

  12. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:39:49 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    >I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    >Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    >dismantling necessary?

    I often ride in black cabs (trad, Metrocab and latest mod
    version) and my MTB fits in fine. I do have to turn the
    front wheel to be near 90deg from the rest of the bike, but
    that's the work of seconds.

    Only once, out of about 40 or 50 times, has the cab driver
    refused to take a bike on board.

    --
    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

  13. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    > I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    > Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    > dismantling necessary?

    So? Did you get your new bike home by hanson carriage? Is
    there a story to tell, or was it all uneventful? Enquiring
    minds need to know you know. :eek:)
    --
    .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

  14. MartinM wrote:
    > Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>[Not Responding] wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    >>>I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    >>>Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    >>>dismantling necessary?
    >>
    >>My racer goes in with no wheel removal or seat lowering,
    >>23" frame.
    >>
    >>Some cabbies will take you others won't, they'll more than
    >>likely be the twats who carve you up if they are stupid
    >>enough to throw a fare because of a chip on their shoulder
    >>about bikes.
    >

    > ISTR it is a legal requirement for taxis in Denmark to
    > carry bike racks

    Yes but this is not Denmark it is GREAT britain.

    Does anyone know where I can get St George Lycras?

  15. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    paul <[email protected]> writes:

    >Enquiring minds need to know you know.

    Anything to keep you distracted while waiting for your
    'bent? :)

    Roos

  16. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/6/04 10:52 pm, in article
    [email protected], "paul"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >> I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by taxi).
    >> I've heard that a bike should fit in a London style taxi.
    >> Can anyone confirm this and, if true, is any degree of
    >> dismantling necessary?
    >>
    > So? Did you get your new bike home by hanson carriage? Is
    > there a story to tell, or was it all uneventful? Enquiring
    > minds need to know you know. :eek:)

    Give him a break.. He'll have been up celebrating his
    parties massive increase in seats in the local council
    election ([N R] is/was (don't have the full results to hand)
    a councillor in Fareham).

    IIRC there are at least two elected councillors on the ng,
    of different flavours.

    ..d

  17. James

    James Guest

    [email protected] (MartinM) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [Not Responding] wrote:
    > > > I'm off to pick up my new bike this afternoon (by
    > > > taxi)....is any degree of dismantling necessary?
    > >
    > > My racer goes in with no wheel removal or seat lowering,
    > > 23" frame.
    > >
    > > Some cabbies will take you others won't,

    > ISTR it is a legal requirement for taxis in Denmark to
    > carry bike racks

    but can you get them to go north of the river? Can you 'eck

    best wishes james

  18. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > paul <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >Enquiring minds need to know you know.
    >
    > Anything to keep you distracted while waiting for your
    > 'bent? :)
    >
    > Roos

    It's leaving the factory today (allegedly) and will be with
    Bikefix on Wednesday. Hopes to be fitted and collection on
    Thursday :D

    6 days and COUNTING
    --
    .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

  19. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>My racer goes in with no wheel removal or seat lowering,
    > >>23" frame.
    > >>
    > >>Some cabbies will take you others won't, they'll more
    > >>than likely be the twats who carve you up if they are
    > >>stupid enough to throw a fare because of a chip on their
    > >>shoulder about bikes.
    > >

    > > ISTR it is a legal requirement for taxis in Denmark to
    > > carry bike racks
    >
    > Yes but this is not Denmark it is GREAT britain.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get St George Lycras?

    Googling does not reveal anything but I have seen lots of
    footbally shirty material tops of dubious officialness. I
    got an England white strip lookalike t shirt with collar
    for 5.99; various newsagents have a whole display of them,
    just needs a real badge. Will do until July 4th (and of
    course a few days after when we cheer them all in an open
    top bus down Oxford St!). Seen a bra and panties set if
    that is any use? ;-)

  20. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Vincent Wilcox wrote:

    > Does anyone know where I can get St George Lycras?

    Try http://www.foska.com/ (also other home nations, Ireland,
    US, NZ, Oz, South Africa and Jamaica, plus some rather Top
    (tm) Dennis the Menace numbers and a nifty Marmite one.)

    Pete.