Bikes make you invisible?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by wiggles, Sep 19, 2006.

1. wiggles

wiggles New Member

Ok, has anyone else felt at all like putting your bum on a bicycle makes you invisible? I've noticed it a few times now, some where it's put me in danger. No, not just to cars, but to pedestrians, and everyone else.

In the past 2 weeks I have had more pedestrians walk right in front of me than I'd like to count. I almost dumped because some granny who had JUST FINISHED complementing me on the fact that I choose to ride instead of drive, walked right out in front of me moments later as I was riding out of my work parking lot (I guess she ignored the "Peds yield to exiting traffic" sign).

Then, I've been on public sidewalks where I'll see a group of kids walking directly towards me. Can they move over at all? No, of course not.

Is there something about a bike that just makes people not see you? Or that invites stupidity and rudeness?

Sorry, this is a ranty post, I'm just a little sore from almost falling a few minutes ago because some kid ran out in front of me, giving me just enough time to either dump or hit him. Luckily I fell on grass, so I'm just a little scraped and my bike is fine. Still... Bastards! All of them!

Tags:

2. cycling_jedi

cycling_jedi New Member

I totally agree with you...

I cant tell you how many times I am coming to perpendicular to a side street, where my traffic has the right away mind you, and the car pulling off of the side street rolls past the stop sign and makes me swerve outta his way....

On top of that.... people who are walking...I yell out "I am on your left" 2 or 3 times and they ignore me... or worse they jump around like a maniac while they are "getting out of my way" then give me a dirty look like I shouldnt be riding where they are walking.

I have a lot more but I am getting pissed off right now....

3. Sparhawk

Sparhawk New Member

I've never had many troubles w/ cars or pedestrians. Yeah, I've had my close calls with someone not paying attention. But they don't bother me as much as kids on bikes... usually the 10 - 15 year old range.

Now, I'm all for 'em out on their bikes. I like to get my kids out on their bikes. But when they decide to ride against traffic on a road w/ traffic coming behind me and force me out into traffic a bit more, it annoys me.

Oh, and horses too. I usually don't have this problem on the road :eek:, but there were a few times when I've ridden the Paulinskil Trail (a rail trail in Northern NJ) that's a great ride, but used by hikers, joggers, bikes, and horses. Now I don't have a problem w/ the pedestrians - it's the horses. One time I gave a verbal warning (conversational tone) when I was coming up on a group on horseback and was verbally reprimanded by a member of that group for speaking as that could shock the horse. I was then told how to whistle when approaching a horse. Okay... I'm all over that... :rolleyes:

4. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Then, I've been on public sidewalks where I'll see a group of kids walking directly towards me. Can they move over at all? No, of course not.

Is there something about a bike that just makes people not see you? Or that invites stupidity and rudeness?

** But if you're an adult you shouldn't be riding a bike on the public sidewalk, right? I don't know where you live, but here in the states that's actually illegal.

5. Pharmr

Pharmr New Member

as a cyclist and motorcyclist...I can say that if you want to stick around on this fine earth, then when you are riding you should assume that you ARE invisible at all times...bottom line...people will look right at you and then pull out in front of you...take care of yourself because cagers don't give a crap until it's to late.

6. RickF

RickF New Member

I have had similar experiences with horses. Actually, the horses are fine - it is the attitude of some of the riders that has been a problem. We have a rails-to-trails path that has several bridges and one tunnel. Horses always have the right-of0way, and I am fine with that (I grew up in Kentucky), but I get annoyed at the tone in which the riders repremanded my daughter and sone-in-law for approaching a bridge while the horse wa still on it. Also, I do not like dodging the horse biscuits along the trail. Dog owners who use the trail are expected to (and usually do) clean up after their dogs immediately, but horse owners think it is enough that a few of them clean off the horse biscuits once a month.

7. dougadam

dougadam Member

I thought I was the only one this was happening to.

I think people driving cars feel my safety vest is a target.